Misfit diSSent- Mtbr.com

Thread: Misfit diSSent

Oct 2008

Misfit diSSent

Anyone have any experience with the Misfit dissent? What do you think about it?

I love riding SS and am looking at getting my first setup....is the dissent a good starting point? I am also looking at the monocog flight.....

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Orange

I love riding SS and am looking at getting my first setup....is the dissent a good starting point? I am also looking at the monocog flight.....
    no personal experience w/ the dissent,but everyone i know online that has one absolutely loves theirs

as for the flite,i have a '07 flite frame,but winter season knocked out construction season before i got to build it up,so it sits ,but i have lotsa 'sperience w/ redline,and they make inexpensive products that flat out work,and you could find a deal on a last year's model...if you can find one

the dissent has a,coolness,about it,and IMHO would make an excellent starting point.
    of course,lookin at my sig,you know where i'd spend my denero (nothing to do w/ the dissent,however,i jus don't do alluminum anymore )
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    mine's good, too small (and 18 i think, want a 20 or so)

so far i've tried: stock misfit fork, now bontrager alu. switchblade, mavic speedcity wheels, shimano/mavic generics, now misfit ss hubs on wtb rims, 120mm stem, now 90mm stem, straight bars, ti bars, hellbents, bar ends, and now home-bent steel bars.
    All with xt cranks, flite saddle, mostly ridden with avid cable discs (never did get those hydros set and run in properly, mea culpa)

I've found the frame most comfortable (for me) when ridden aggressively, weight forward not upright, feels like the frame's designed to sprint, not kick back and stroll about.
    You can stroll when leaning forward but it's happy as heck to get up and go!

Pretty versatile, light, didn't feel "out of place" anywhere, road, offroad, just handled fine and did it's job.
    Cheap too!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The Misfit is an awesome bike. You will find many fans here. Peter is great to work with too. I ordered mine now 3 of my other friends have them too. Its not just a great frame for the price its just a great frame! Here's a couple of links to check out.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...hlight=Dissent

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=Misfit

And mine:

Sweet Monkey Tuesday!
    I borrowed a Misfit off Peter at one of the 24 hours (it was easier than fixing my single speed at the time) and went out and set my fastest lap ever (geared or single) on a bike that we literally just pulled off the rack and spun up my pedals on. Just something about that bike is aggressive and fast - that bike went home with me that weekend and my other SS was gone shortly there after

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I had one for a while and then sold it to a friend when I converted my SIR9 to SS.

As others say, great bike, great service from Peter.

The stock fork is pretty harsh so you might want to look into a Reba.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug
    The stock fork is pretty harsh so you might want to look into a Reba.
    I think that is relative. Yeah, the stock fork is harsh compared to a Reba, but I've ridden that frame with a Surly KM fork (too lazy to initially install the Misfit fork), and Surly fork is MUCH harsher feeling.

I think having an aluminum fork with curved blades really makes the fork more forgiving than people give it credit for.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

@adelorenzo

I replaced my Karate Monkey with a Misfit and I was blown away. I was immediately faster and able to ride more confidently in aggressive terrain. I also really like the look of the frame, the raw finish, and the sliding dropouts. Peter is a really good guy to deal with and, best of all, the frame is priced really well.

Ultraglide In Black
    I've been on one for about a month now, but only have about two weeks riding time due to some kind of horrible virus that was likely imported from Canadia in a cardboard box (or two). I was skeptical buying a bike without having ridden it, but I'm a sucker for skulls and black paint, so I pulled the trigger.

RE: Peter... One of the hubs was damaged in shipping, and Peter got another one out to me ASACP (as soon as Canadia-nifically possible). Disgustingly nice guy.

RE: The diSSent... This being my first SS and first 29er, I figured I'd get my a$$ handed to me for a while by the gear-handicapped types I ride with until I got acquainted w/the bike. Not so. Especially on climbs, the bike just wants to go. I end up having enough time to take a leak in the woods and check my phone messages while waiting for those chumps at the top of hills. After I built the bike up and did a couple of road rides on it, I sat on the old trusty 26" Fisher I'd ridden for 10 years, and it just felt wrong... it's now gone (to one of said "chumps").

Not running the stock fork... upgraded to the WB Rock Solid, and between that and the 2.55 WeirWolf (in the low 20's psi) on the front, it's more comfy than the 63mm travel fork on the old Fisher.

I got the der. hanger "just in case"... I doubt it'll ever see the bike.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    So how does this bike do in slow speed techy stuff? Manualing, lifting the fornt end, nd drops? MOst coments seem to suggest it's racer's SS, so just wondering.

Bored
    No issues there for me. The bike really tracks well which helps in the tight stuff, plus the stiff rear end really responds well.
    MTBR is serious stuff.

Oct 2008
    How do you guys like those "FUbars"?

Ultraglide In Black
    How do you guys like those "FUbars"?
    Just fine...

Frt Range, CO

Love mine in 1x8 mode

I have one running as a 1x8 hardtail:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oct 2008
    Why the 1x8?

Just doesn't feel right if you ask!! But I am a simple guy i guess....

Oct 2008
    What have you guys experienced with shipping? How long?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    got mine on craigslist, cheap! so no comment RE shipping and such.

but peter shot me a couple emails regarding my concerns with front end stiffness when I first built mine up and was more than helpful.
    (mostly traced to the speedcity wheels after all was said and done)

he's cool beans.

Terror of Sidewalls
    Jul 2007
    Got diSSent frame for my wife and it is really sweet. Shipping was quick, think it only took around a week or so to get it. UPS sent me a $43 bill for their brokerage services, which annoyed me, but considering how cheap the frame is, its still a great deal. Get FU-bar, a z610 chain, a spacer kit and a cod cog while you're at it, good stuff.

Ultraglide In Black
    Took about a week for the frame/build kit to get from Canadia to Floridia.

Quote Originally Posted by lunarprobe
    UPS sent me a $43 bill for their brokerage services, which annoyed me, but considering how cheap the frame is, its still a great deal.
    The brown shirts got me for an extra $70 or so.

Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lunarprobe
    Get FU-bar, a z610 chain, a spacer kit and a cod cog while you're at it, good stuff.
    What do you like about these parts??

Terror of Sidewalls
    Jul 2007
    What do you like about these parts??
    See the Fubar thread (SS forum) for my thoughts on it. The spacer kit is cheap when you buy the one with a cod cog and has what you need if you have a geared cassette hub. The cod cog is light, smooth, looks sharp (black with laser etching), and is reasonably priced. The chain is cheap, strong, won't stretch, is the right size for a 3/32 cog and chain ring and not available at a lot of the normal US webshops. And if you're already buying a frame, there is no shipping charge for these goods.

Oct 2008
    How is the ground clearance? I have heard that the diSSent rides lower and that makes me a little nervous b/c I have hitting my pedals on things when I am ridding!

@adelorenzo
    How is the ground clearance? I have heard that the diSSent rides lower and that makes me a little nervous b/c I have hitting my pedals on things when I am ridding!
    It is a little lower than some, but in my case I think that is a good thing. Lower = more stability. I run long cranks, so I am already used to watching out for pedal strikes. If you're running 170 or 175 cranks I doubt it would be a big deal.

bi-winning
    I have heard that the diSSent rides lower
    I have heard that other bikes ride higher.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Misfit Psycles
    it RIDES lower, that was the intent for sure.
    that said, the bb drop is only a few mm more then most 'other' 29ers. in fact a few newer frames also use a 70mm drop.

in the end the dissent bb height is the same as it was on the 26" frame it replaced.

when riding 180mm cranks, on the right trail i have had pedal strike. reverting back to 175 cranks would eleviate this BUT...

i'm not convinced the odd strike is a direct result of the drop or cranks...i find i am pedalling this frame more (then i ever have on any other frame in the past). possibly pedalling in places i shouldnt be like through rock gardens and in turns (if that makes sense).

obviously i am biased.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Meat Clever
    Dirtrag had this to say regarding potential drawback of the Dissent "The downside to the lowered bottom bracket is that getting the front end up takes a little more effort. During slow, very technical terrain, concentrating on maintaining momentum and getting the front wheel over things takes some getting used to".

Opinions from you owners/riders?

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDummy
    Dirtrag had this to say regarding potential drawback of the Dissent "The downside to the lowered bottom bracket is that getting the front end up takes a little more effort. During slow, very technical terrain, concentrating on maintaining momentum and getting the front wheel over things takes some getting used to".

Opinions from you owners/riders?
    I've never had an issue with that. The Vassago's have a similar BB drop and everyone seems to rave about those frames.

Trust me, you will NOT go wrong with a Misfit DiSSent..
    Last edited by bigwheelboy_490; 11-21-2008 at 09:29 AM.
    MTBR is serious stuff.

Sweet Monkey Tuesday!
    The low bottom bracket does mean there's a little more body English involved in manualing this bike, but a quick loft over a log or the such isn't a real issue.

To me, it's important to remember that this is first and foremost a race bike, and in that regard the low center of gravity/bottom bracket means that you sit IN this bike more than ON it and gives you a much more intuitive handling - conserving some energy to be put into those 'why do I ride single speed' moments. The fact that this bike is equally at home in tight rock gardens and the steeps that litter my local rides is just an added bonus.

I feel more at home with the Misfit on ladders and teeters than most of the aggressive XC bikes coming out of the North Shore builders I've rode previously - but it won't replace my big hit bike

Oct 2008
    Thanks for the post everyone!! I think I am pretty much sold on this bike all that is left are the formalities

barry cox
    OK, Mr. Orange, so here's the deal. I have been on my dissent for one entire season. I have raced it every week this summer, have done a 24 hour race and a solo 8 hour race on it. I have also put cyclocross tires and a higher gearing on the bike to use for early season training, commuting and the occasional 'cross race.

Throughout that time, NOTHING on the bike has failed, broken or went out of whack. I have, however, ridden faster and more aggressively, and got fitter and stronger than I have in eight seasons of racing a full suspension, 27-speed rig, and three seasons of riding a
    26" SS. If you are thinking of making the move to singlespeed, in my view the dissent is the only bike to consider. Yes, it's fast on the racecourse, but it also does well in the technical stuff, considering the fact that it is a fully-rigid bike with no gears. I honestly have no complaints about the bike, and this is the first mountainbike I've owned where I have been able to say that.

Concerning components, the FUBar will feel weird the first time you ride the bike, but once you get used to it, you will find it complements the way the bike rides really well. I spent a little extra and got White Industries Eno crank, chainring, hubs etc and did not regret it as the parts are bomb-proof. You might also consider the Eno-Dos freewheel cassette, which is a singlespeed cassette with two different-size cogs on it, so you have a choice of what gear ratio depending on the type of riding you are doing. If you get the freewheel with the 16t/19t combo, you don't need to change the chain length when you switch cogs - you can just slide the back wheel back in the drop-outs. That way, if you want to ride the bike around town, you can put it on the 16t cog, and if you want to hit the trails, you can switch to the 19t cog in about 2 minutes, with just an allen wrench. You might also want to consider ordering with the White Brothers rock-solid carbon fibre fork, depending on what sort of terrain you will be riding.

Concerning aesthetics, the black frame looks cooler, but the raw frame will not show any damage, scratches etc.

In other words, buy the bike. Run, don't walk. You won't regret it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    For the guys / gals that purchased a frame. Did you go with the same size frame that you were riding before ? Or did you go a size up or down and why.

I'm going from a GF Rig 19" and wasn't sure to go with the 19 or the 21" Misfit frame. I do ride the FU bars.

barry cox
    Re cornerstuffed, I am 5'11" tall, tried the 19" and the 21" dissent frame, and went with the 19". I also ride with FUbars. If you are already on a 19" frame, I expect you would prefer the 19" dissent too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by corner_stuffed
    For the guys / gals that purchased a frame. Did you go with the same size frame that you were riding before ? Or did you go a size up or down and why.

I'm going from a GF Rig 19" and wasn't sure to go with the 19 or the 21" Misfit frame. I do ride the FU bars.
    I'm on the same size as my 26" rig. Let the top tube be your guide. The standover clearance will be plenty and seatposts come in all different lengths.

@adelorenzo

I'm riding the 21" with a short stem at 6'6" tall. It's pretty big.

Ultraglide In Black
    I'm 6'2". I was on a 21" GF Marlin that I always felt too big for. I went with the 21" diSSent, and if feels just right for me.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by charmicarmicat
    I'm 6'2". I was on a 21" GF Marlin that I always felt too big for. I went with the 21" diSSent, and if feels just right for me.
    and to confuse the issue further i am also 6'2" and went with the 19 and FU bars (albeit with a 120mm stem).

as was suggested earlier, use the ett be your guide.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    and to confuse the issue further i am also 6'2" and went with the 19 and FU bars (albeit with a 120mm stem).

as was suggested earlier, use the ett be your guide.

Thanks Peter. I will look at the ETT.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I absolutely love my diSSent. I've ridden probably 40 different XC MTB models in the past couple years, in hundreds of rides and races, and this is far and away the best bike I've ridden. Handles and accelerates like a 26, but with all the benefits of a 29.
    Light, responsive, comfortable. The only mtb you'll need.

Category Winner
    Thanks Peter. I will look at the ETT.
    By all means definitely look at the ETT (Extra Terrestrial Toter) option on the Misfit site. Certainly worth the $150 upgrade.

Just think what woulda happened to the monkey boy had Elliot not ponied up for his ETT???

Seriously, this thread has gone on way to long without on bit of irrelevant information. Peter has a reputation to uphold here folks.

Keg-stand anyone??
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdickless
    Seriously, this thread has gone on way to long without on bit of irrelevant information.
    prove you bought a copy of CHINESE DEMOCRACY and shipping on your frame is free - contiguous NA only n'shite.
    axl.jpg
    seriously...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Frt Range, CO
    prove you bought a copy of CHINESE DEMOCRACY and shipping on your frame is free - contiguous NA only n'shite.
    axl.jpg
    seriously...
    hey, if I buy it can I get 100% of my shipping cost refunded

I don't know flickable from flowey, I do know this bike is sweet

mtbr member
    I would love to get one of these frames and turn it into a Ottawa Ontario winter fixed gear commuter/winter mountain bike. All of my bikes are steel and there is a ton of salt used on the roads in the winter. :/

Too bad it looks like misfit dropped the v brake mounts from their frames.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbotron
    Too bad it looks like misfit dropped the v brake mounts from their frames.
    we built them and not many came...

i have a handful of 15, 17, 19's with v mounts in a RAW finish. forks too.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member

Interesting! Too bad they didn't sell, I don't get why people don't like having the option.

Were I a rich man, I would buy one of your 19 inch frame and fork today.. :/

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

dissent

got mine a couple of days ago. Shipping was super fast and Peter has been great to deal with. Will have it built up soon. Just got the wheels and fork in the mail today. Very impressed with the quality of this bike frame. Impressive welds!!!
    Last edited by leonidas 119; 12-10-2008 at 03:29 AM.

Oct 2008
    That is great!!! I can't wait to get mine

Terror of Sidewalls
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by leonidas 119
    got mine a couple of days ago. Shipping was super fast and Peter has been great to deal with. Will have it built up soon. Just got the wheels and fork in the mail today. Very impressed with the quality of this bike frame. Impressive welds!!!
    Sweet rawness! Post up some pics once you get it built up!

@adelorenzo
    Raw is the new black.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    expecting more parts this weekend!

mtbr member

Got mine!!

Just got mine on Tue. nice build kit in black what a beauty can't go wrong with all black and skulls. Just one glich no mount bolts for the brake . Peter got it covered though, dude is awesome answered all my dumb ?'s...

Category Winner
    expecting more parts this weekend!
    When you have those kinda parts it is customary to put them together half-assed and see what it will look like.

Once you get a stem and bars you attach them to the fork and then put on the front wheel so you can drive it around the house making motorcycle noises.

Everybody does it....
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Terror of Sidewalls
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    When you have those kinda parts it is customary to put them together half-assed and see what it will look like.

Once you get a stem and bars you attach them to the fork and then put on the front wheel so you can drive it around the house making motorcycle noises.

Everybody does it....
    Thats sounds stupid...I mean what kind of loser would...nevermind

I like to ride them crankless down the stairs to the basement. I consider it a form of "taint strengthening"

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    do you have that reba set up for 100mm or 80mm. THAT BIKE LOOKS SICK!

mtbr member
    I can't wait to hopefully get mine tommorow. One more week and all parts should be in and the build begins. Its gonna be sick, hoping for 19.some lbs but expecting low 20's.

Terror of Sidewalls
    Jul 2007
    do you have that reba set up for 100mm or 80mm. THAT BIKE LOOKS SICK!
    Its set at 80mm...my wife is not quite 5'2", so she doesn't really need the front end any higher.

It looks sexier with a headset and cranks

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Finished building it up!
    Canecreek headset
    race face evolve stem
    raceface dues bar
    titec hellbent post
    hope pro 2 hubs with stans notubes flow rims
    fsa saddle
    magura julie disc brakes 180, 160
    race face evolve ss crankset
    misfit cog
    bontrager grips

Terror of Sidewalls
    Jul 2007
    Finished building it up!
    Lookin good!! How do you like the ride?

mtbr member
    What's the largest tire that will fit these frames?

Bored
    I have the Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 on mine.
    MTBR is serious stuff.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithG
    What's the largest tire that will fit these frames?
    i've stuffed a 2.55 Weir Wolf in the front and rear.

that said the Ralph mentioned by BWB actually measures LARGER in my opinion.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    2.2 nevegals, still room for more. This bike rides awsome. Handles like a 26 but rolls over terrain much easier. Like the others said, you dont feel like your riding on stilts with this 29er. Ver well frame design.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    If they came in steel I'd have bought a frame. But alas I will have to seek a frame from elsewhere.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    If they came in steel I'd have bought a frame. But alas I will have to seek a frame from elsewhere.
    you couldn't pass the membership exam.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

... and if we just ... Bwahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahah

words fail me... except "damn you for making me spew coffee on my monitor at work!"

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    you couldn't pass the membership exam.
    There was an exam? Oh wait, now I remember. I was too busy out riding my mistress that day.

mtbr member

Can't hold out any longer

Weather has been lousy and I'm not waiting another day so it's off for it's maiden voyage....
    It's gonna be a mud fest...
    https://s422.photobucket.com/albums/...missfit008.jpg

Singlespeed Mysty
    some interesting builds here of my most favorite bike in the world... nice to know there are more and more ladies riding one too! Small frame looks cute as mine are both 15 frames.

I have one in a black frame that is full rigid SS slammed with Weirs front and back, and another one set up as a hardtail now with 'some' gears (shish!) 1 x 9 with a Whites forky fork... that one I was running Exi's front and back, but have slapped on the Prowlers... not sure how those will be, but can't wait to try em out in the spring...

So, Mr. Orange... did you finally get yours?
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Oct 2008
    I am planning on ordering it in February(ish). you know the whole money issue!

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008

Do you still have a 15 with vee mounts? How would one go about ordering one of those, preferably before this latest sale ends...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    go to the website and say "hi! ah'm dead sexay, but mah sexay boday needs transpo yo..."

works every time!

(seriously he's an easy going guy, just pop into the site and ask)

*unofficial (unwanted?) misfit whore even though I no longer have one...

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsCast
    Do you still have a 15 with vee mounts? How would one go about ordering one of those, preferably before this latest sale ends...
    truth be told byknuts, while speaking mostly the kind of hippity hop jibberish associated with urban gitch, is correct.

email is fast and painless as we ne'er have to establish a bond based on reality.
    [email protected]
    i can be the omnipotent ruler of the Misfit Empire and you can be any double oh agent with night vision goggles you choose.

of course if you want to get down and dirty you can just select your size FROM THE LIST and buy one.

BTW - as i find myself buried in last minute frame shipments (price ended at midnight) it doesn't seem logical to ship at one price and sell at another. 285usd plus shipping goes to friday at noon - ALL MUST SHIP BY FRIDAY.

As for options, the sizes with V mounts remaining will show that as a drop down selection...as well as expensive suspension and carbon bitties.

SCREEN SHOOTING:
    15 Frame Shot.pdf
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hehehe! I'm an over-caffeinated urban gitch!

BWAHAHAHAH!!

Members who have read this thread: 0