Mike and Mary are now on 29ers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Mike and Mary are now on 29ers

From their cycling news diary:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/tea...-in-california

I know some of you would say who cares or who are Mike and Mary, but this is a pretty significent change for World Cup cyclists.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yes, this should be an interesting year for 29ers in the racing ranks. Go to I am Specialized and check out the Todd Wells video on 29ers. He had to be talked into one by none other than Nedley but, after one race, was hooked.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr
    From their cycling news diary:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/tea...-in-california

I know some of you would say who cares or who are Mike and Mary, but this is a pretty significent change for World Cup cyclists.
    Mike has been on a 96er for a couple of years and this is the first new frame for Mary in what, 5 years?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Harmonius Wrench
    Yep, this year will see several folks make the switch in the pro ranks. Having Willow Koerber and Heather Irminger take the top two spots at the recent Fontana short track will help prod more folks into looking into big wheels.

Georgia Gould will be on a 29"er come May, and I am betting several men will be switching as well.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Yep, this year will see several folks make the switch in the pro ranks. Having Willow Koerber and Heather Irminger take the top two spots at the recent Fontana short track will help prod more folks into looking into big wheels.

Georgia Gould will be on a 29"er come May, and I am betting several men will be switching as well.
    Is Obrea offering the revised carbon frame in more than one size now?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Is Obrea offering the revised carbon frame in more than one size now?
    Yup! Small, Medium, and Large. The new rigs will also be available in two colors too. Debut to be at Lance's ranch in May. The race there should be Georgia's first outing on the bike, if all goes according to plan.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    How do you know what Georgia is riding in Texas?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by dlab07
    I don't "know" anything. I didn't say I knew she would ride it. I said, "the race should be Georgia's first outing on the bike".

It also might not be her first ride on the updated Alma as well. There are some extenuating circumstances.

I do "know" she'll be riding a bike though.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by dlab07
    Because LMN said this on the XC forum 8 hours ago:

I know the team is going to make their debut on new Alma 29ers at Mellow Johnny's.

BB

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    From Todd Wells blog on winning the Fontana UCI race:

"The race broke up pretty quickly and by the second lap we were a group of four, Plaxton, Sid , Kabush and I. My plan was to attack early and get away but no matter how many times I hit it I couldn’t hold a gap. We were all together with less then a K to go to the finish. I attacked as hard as I could on the last open section before a short rocky climb. I got to the climb first and held it till the finish. It was definitely a tactical finish. I took my first victory of the year and grabbed a few UCI points in the process on the big-wheeled 29er hard tail."

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BiknBob
    From Todd Wells blog on winning the Fontana UCI race:

"The race broke up pretty quickly and by the second lap we were a group of four, Plaxton, Sid , Kabush and I. My plan was to attack early and get away but no matter how many times I hit it I couldn’t hold a gap. We were all together with less then a K to go to the finish. I attacked as hard as I could on the last open section before a short rocky climb. I got to the climb first and held it till the finish. It was definitely a tactical finish. I took my first victory of the year and grabbed a few UCI points in the process on the big-wheeled 29er hard tail."
    regarding the course/conditions:

the wind was brutal. being solo was a bad idea on that day.

if you must ride a HT then 29ers are a good way to go at Fontana. the conditions there favor the larger contact patch and rotational inertia of bigger wheels. i chose FS over 26" HT for my race.

Todd did a great job out there, watching those guys race is big fun. I wish the CAT1's got to race the pro course as it was a much more technical course. Not having to do the pavement climb favored me though, made for a great race.

Lene Byberg now has a 29er HT too that she can choose to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ...and another Luna racer. But not the one you're thinking of.

Members who have read this thread: 0