Merida 29er bikes/frames- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Merida 29er bikes/frames

hey guys, anybody who has experience either getting a built one or just the frames? they are pretty much new to the Merida line-up... im contemplating on getting one to change my Marin Alpine Trail... or should i just keep my Marin?

tia!
    Padyak lang ng padyak!

agu
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    keep the Marin...

I see a FS 29er in your future...

Noli Me Tangere
    Jul 2008
    I dont think you'll get a lot replies or feed back on Merida bikes here.
    Annie are you ok? Are you ok, Annie?

Apr 2007
    Looks too much like mierda.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Looks too much like mierda.
    That's what I thought they were called when I first saw them

Plays with tools
    they are the biggest bicycle manufacture in the world, they have to be doing something right.

Now wr rollin on a Boom!
    yeah, they do fabrication for lots of other makers, like Giant does. Or like Giant did, anyway, back in the 90's; they made frames for Specialized. I don't know if they still do that. Merida was the Taiwan fab contractor for Bridgestone.

They've been selling bikes with their own name on them in Europe for at least 20 years. Don't know why they never made a push in the states... Contract arrangements with their big customers, maybe?

Be interesting (well, moderately, anyway) if someone had a chart of who makes frames and forks for who. It's not really important, since it's all about how the stuff rides and all that, but it might be fun.
    "I think it's cool how the best line is also usually the most beautiful line" --Kurt F, Tamarancho, Safety Meeting

Plays with tools
    they probably don't sell bikes in the US under merida because they are the parent company of Giant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by archtop44
    Be interesting (well, moderately, anyway) if someone had a chart of who makes frames and forks for who. It's not really important, since it's all about how the stuff rides and all that, but it might be fun.
    Here's a partial list for the "larger" North American based companies.

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/downl...10-08LoRes.pdf
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by archtop44
    Like this?
    Where is my bike made?

a relevant excerpt"
    Specialized - Started in 1974 by Mike Sinyard, Specialized has enjoyed a long-standing reputation for being a leading bicycle design and marketing company.

Several years ago, Merida (a Taiwanese manufacturer) bought a substantial interest in Specialized. Although Specialized is still headquartered in California under the leadership of founder Mike Sinyard, all bikes are made in Asia. Key Asian suppliers are Merida, Ideal, and Giant.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

bucking the fends
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab
    they probably don't sell bikes in the US under merida because they are the parent company of Giant
    No, that is not correct.

Merida is a large manufacturer owning a large stake in Specialized and also doing most of Specialized production

Giant is a separate large manufacturer making their own product and a large quantity of Trek.

Both make some very top notch, well built product.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeindustrydude
    No, that is not correct.

Merida is a large manufacturer owning a large stake in Specialized and also doing most of Specialized production

Giant is a separate large manufacturer making their own product and a large quantity of Trek.

Both make some very top notch, well built product.
    Where is my bike made?

Giant - You may have ridden a bicycle made by Giant without knowing it! Giant is the world's largest bicycle manufacturer with factories in Taiwan, China, and Europe. Giant, a Taiwanese company started in 1972, manufacturers their own bikes - including the carbon bikes, which is unique in the industry (i.e., most other brands utilize other manufacturers such as Advanced or Martec).

In addition to making their own bikes, Giant also makes, or has made, bikes for many other prominent brands, including Trek, Specialized, Schwinn, and Bianchi. Giant's claim to fame is that they have the most sophisticated and efficient manufacturing facilities in the bicycle industry.

A bit of trivia is that Giant owns 30% of Hodaka, a key Taiwanese supplier for many brands such as Bianchi.5
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by agu
    keep the Marin...

I see a FS 29er in your future...

probably a Voodoo Canzo?

thanks and appreciate the feedback "about" Merida guys... lol
    Padyak lang ng padyak!

NoTubes.com
    Feb 2004
    Please do not use the forum PM or e-mail function for business related questions. I can be contacted through our website. Thanks!

NoTubes.com

Members who have read this thread: 0