Medium Travel 29er with new geometry?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Medium Travel 29er with new geometry?

Does any one have recommendations to 29ers that have 110mm - 130mm of rear travel, slack HTsteep ST angles and long reach?

I know the Yeti SB130, Transition Smuggler an GG Pistol Trail are some options. Any others?

mtbr member
    Giant Trance 29 might work.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Trek Fuel EX. Mino link in low sets headtube at about 66 degrees. Not the most slack but for a trail bike with 130/130 I find it works well.
    Bumping travel at the front to 140mm would slacken out the headtube by ~0.5 degrees.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    Trek Fuel EX. Mino link in low sets headtube at about 66 degrees. Not the most slack but for a trail bike with 130/130 I find it works well.
    Bumping travel at the front to 140mm would slacken out the headtube by ~0.5 degrees.
    fuel EX in low setting is 67 deg, not 66.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Rocky mountain instinct if you're willing to go 140-140. It's reasonably light (maybe lighter than some of the ones on your list?) and has ride 9 so is adjustable. It's slacker than the fuel, not as slack as the SB130

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    There's a lot of talk about Ibis possibly coming out with a new bike soon, so I'd keep my eyes peeled for that. A Ripley with Ripmo-esque geometry and linkage would be sweet.

mtbr member
    Knolly Fugitive is incredible. The new Forbidden Bike Company Druid is getting good reviews as well.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Evil Offering is 140 but rides with the response of less.
    https://www.bikemag.com/gear/mountai...-offering-xo1/

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    fuel EX in low setting is 67 deg, not 66.
    Officially, yes. Unofficially, no.

Mine with a 140mm F34 was 66d. With a 150mm fork it was sub 66. Most have measured their bikes to be considerably slacker, and lower than advertised.

That aside, the issue is the mega slack actual seat tube angle. If you are tall, the effective STA is not great. The bike (well, the light, high end one) just about gets away with it, because it's mega light, but it's not great.

mtbr member
    The new Revel Rascal has what I consider the best suspension in the industry and priced right too: First Impressions: Revel Rascal XO1 ¬ę Mountain Flyer Magazine

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2018

downcountry bikes

Quote Originally Posted by hans2911 View Post
    Does any one have recommendations to 29ers that have 110mm - 130mm of rear travel, slack HTsteep ST angles and long reach?

I know the Yeti SB130, Transition Smuggler an GG Pistol Trail are some options. Any others?
    Try out the salsa spearfish. with 120/100 front back. its modern and perfect for long endurance rides. salsa also makes great gravel bikes!

mtbr member

If you consider 480mm a long enough reach Iíve been enjoying the stumpy evo. Itís 140mm rear travel but pedals and climbs surprisingly well.
    64 degree HA in high mode. Mondraker may have something of interest as well.

mtbr member
    May 2008

I have been shopping for something similar, and recently ended up going with the Whyte S-120C RS. Thought hard and/or looked at the GG Trail Pistol, Giant Trance, Fuel Ex, Scott Spark, and Transition Smuggler. I only have 1 ride in on the Whyte, but feeling good about my choice for what I was looking for and what I got for the $. If cost and delivery time weren't a factor, I think I'd have gone with a GG Trail Pistol, as I like the ability to specify my parts and their american made/new tech story.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    There's a huge amount of variation between these bikes; it's literally the largest and most popular genre, so you need to do some riding and decide yourself cuz asking on MTBR you will find lovers and haters for each and every bike suggested.

Fortunately, if you're not too picky, there are few bad choices.

For Sale: XMed GG Smash Frameset +
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Not sure of whether Spot Mayhemís numbers are what you are looking for but I can speak directly to the fact that they Mayhem is an awesome mid travel(130 mm rear travel) 29er. I have the 5-star build and itís amazing. If I am climbing, the living link suspension gives me a little extra support and push. If I am pushing through the infamous Northeast rock gardens, it is agile and excels in the chunk, and if I am ramming down a hill, it gives confidence. Just my two cents and I wish you the best in your search.

mtbr member
    Commencal Meta TR 29 British Ed. // Commencal Absolut

mtbr member
    Not sure how tall the OP is but, some of these bikes won't work if you don't have long legs. For instance the Spot has short reach combined with long seat tubes.

A Fugitive in large has a 457mm ST, 477mm reach and 617mm stack.
    A Mayhem has 483mm ST, 447mm reach and 622mm stack.

I could not possible fit on a Mayhem, maybe the OP can. Modern geometry is generally long reach, steep STA, slack HTA, and a lowish BB.

Just because a model is new does not mean it has "modern geometry". I don't think modern is the best term because, while the Spot may not have the numbers to make it "modern", it is certainly a well executed bike.

I'm just going off the bikes in the OP's post. Yeti SB130, Transition Smuggler an GG Pistol Trail. Fugitive, Druid, Offering and Whyte S-120 are in the parameters as well. Probably not a bad choice in this group.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalem77 View Post
    I have been shopping for something similar, and recently ended up going with the Whyte S-120C RS. Thought hard and/or looked at the GG Trail Pistol, Giant Trance, Fuel Ex, Scott Spark, and Transition Smuggler. I only have 1 ride in on the Whyte, but feeling good about my choice for what I was looking for and what I got for the $. If cost and delivery time weren't a factor, I think I'd have gone with a GG Trail Pistol, as I like the ability to specify my parts and their american made/new tech story.
    Good call on the Ws120. At least one advanced rider I know is very impressed by them and switching from the s150.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I was considering many of these bikes. Narrowed it down to the Smuggler and Sentinel because I wanted long and slack and a bike I can take to the park 10 times a year or so. I demoed the Sentinel on trails with tight technical switchback climbs as well as small root and rock jumps as I was worried about it sticking to the ground, soaking up all the fun stuff and being difficult to move around. It wasnít at all. Climbed with ease and was very fun on the little jumps. So I bought it. And it is obviously amazing on the real steep stuff and bigger jump lines.

My thinking was - why I would get the Smuggler if the Sentinel climbs fine and was super fun on the smaller features on my typical trails. Full disclosure, I have always ridden less efficient bikes that favor the descent. Banshee Scream and Scratch, Santa Cruz Heckler and Butcher, Norco Range etc. So to me, every new bike I get climbs and pedals better than the last. If you have always favored bikes that climb well, you may want to go Smuggler as it will surely blow you away down hill. None of bikes listed here will disappoint. I recently rented a 5010 while out of town and while it wasnít what I would buy it was plenty fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    As mentioned earlier, there are too many options. Ideally you'd want to get out and demo some options, then do some additional research.

Now, I didn't do much demo but I did a boatload of research. But I was also looking for something not off the shelf, I wanted to build it. In the end, I built a bike that is identical (except for a few small parts and color way) to the top of the line spec and saved about $750ish. But I also took some parts off an old bike.

I'd mainly looking at direct to consumer options (YT, Canyon, Whyte, Commencal, GG, etc.) because I wanted to support the smaller guys that are doing something different and can make the cost lower. And of these options the frame only, or a la carte options are limited.

Long stupid story short, I went with the Commencal Meta TR 29, it climbs well it descends like its running from lava. But, any of the bikes mentioned in this thread will check the boxes you're looking for. Start with what you want to spend, then frame material, and then research options with those criteria, every manufacture is making a 100-130 bike with modern geo.