mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Mechanical drivetrain in MTB 29 carbon frame DI2 only

Hello All
    i have a technical question: i found a carbon 29 frame, which is designed for electric DI2 drivetrain. Does anybody have an experience converting this to a regular mechanical gearing ? See some photos attached. Thanks!
    Mechanical drivetrain in MTB 29 carbon frame DI2 only-img-8003.jpgMechanical drivetrain in MTB 29 carbon frame DI2 only-img-7999.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Just have all the hoses and wires that don't fit internally go externally. Zip ties are your friend.

mtbr member
    Looks like a simple matter of getting the appropriate frame plugs, or modifying the ones you have so that you can run the housing, at least for the RD. If running a FD, what does that situation look like?
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    See if you can get the frame plugs/grommets for mechanical. If not, you could try drilling out the existing plugs/grommets to allow the larger cable housings to fit through. Probably have to go full length housing however.
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks all. No FD planned. Full housing is a must i think.

Two major concerns:
    1) no "mechanical ready' frame plugs available from manufacturer (checked already). Current plug is made of rubber (2 parts: plastic in the frame + rubber gasket) - so it should not be difficult to push the mechanical cable through. My concern is that it will be not firm enough, and as the housing might move when used, the rubber plug might pull up at some moment. Experience with it ?
    2) very short distance from the rear exit hole to the RD, so I'm concerned its to close for the mechanical cable. Thoughts ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    1. I dont think that will be a problem. If it turns out to be then you could use cable ties to secure the housing or make a bigger hole to allow for some movement.

2. as long as you can fit the cable in the derailleur without problems then it should not be a problem. If you can't then i would advise to just use external routing on the chainstay.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Tha manufacturer isn't going to have any different plugs because those are stock Shimano DI2 grommets part # SM-GM02.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Many thanks to everyone. Looks like this can be converted to mechanical drive. I checked the wiring in the different frame model with a mechanical drive and its looks similar. Actually version for 2019 looks even worse .....closing topic.

Many thanks!!!