maxxis ignitors are in!!- Mtbr.com

Jul 2004

... and if we just ... maxxis ignitors are in!!

hello all,
    here is the email that i got from maxxis today. So call your lbs and have them order them they are 70a compound kevlar. Here is what we have been looking for.
    cupcake29er

Chris,

Good news, I just got an email from Hulen and he says the tires are in Stock.If you don’t mind posting a note on the 29er site I would appreciate it.

Chris Wyatt

Tire Design and Development Engineer

Maxxis Tech Center

Who turned out the lights
    Somebody probably has already done this in a thread long ago, but any pics of the tread design?

Occasionally engaged…

Anyone used these tubeless?

Quote Originally Posted by Francis
    Somebody probably has already done this in a thread long ago, but any pics of the tread design?
    Go here: http://www.maxxis.com/products/bicyc...ail.asp?id=240

As someone asked elsewhere, how do these things hold up to Stan's tubeless? I used a Larsen TT "aramid" bead tire tubeless on my 26er with excellent results.

Thanks for the news.

Who turned out the lights

I guess we'll know soon enough...

Quote Originally Posted by PeT
    Go here: http://www.maxxis.com/products/bicyc...ail.asp?id=240

As someone asked elsewhere, how do these things hold up to Stan's tubeless? I used a Larsen TT "aramid" bead tire tubeless on my 26er with excellent results.

Thanks for the news.
    Rob just had the LBS order a tire or two for each of us, and I plan to run a tubeless setup. Rob said he used the 26" tubeless and it worked great, so hoping for similar luck here. If it doesn't work tubeless, we'll 'warn' the rest of the group and go back to using them as designed (with tubes).

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

what about the site??

Does it not stand to reason that Maxxis should make this tire available on their website so we could all just go to one virtual place? I love my lbs and all but oy vei these are tires folks not a 2k frame...

Rollin' a fatty

Here's a pic of the 26" UST

Quote Originally Posted by Francis
    Rob just had the LBS order a tire or two for each of us, and I plan to run a tubeless setup. Rob said he used the 26" tubeless and it worked great, so hoping for similar luck here. If it doesn't work tubeless, we'll 'warn' the rest of the group and go back to using them as designed (with tubes).
    I've run it on wet and dry conditions and works great, excellent on muddy and wet trails. They grip sp well that you can hear and feel the traction while riding.

Here's a pic of the front (sorry for the bad shot)

Rear

F & R are supposed to go in the same direction but I inverted the rear.

www.badgercycles.com

Tried the website

and it says they are out of stock. I know I could call them and get around that but I want my LBS to stock more 29" tires so I'm doing my part. Marco at The Trek Store in KC just told me that he is trying to convince mgt to let him have a 29er section in the store and stock 1-2 pairs of every 29" tire (good or bad) made. Wouldnt it be nice to walk into a shop and hold in your hand every 29" tire available before you make a choice. I'd be tempted to rip them all off the rack and do a little spooning! )

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well tubless

I have tried them tubless, and saddly, yes you guessed it , the bead broke.
    I hope the newer production ones are stronger.

I have been running light tubes and 30-35 psi, and have not pinch flatted yet [220 pound rider] .As amatter of fact I have never pinched on my 29er!!

Occasionally engaged…

Thanks for the report...

Quote Originally Posted by Lemon jello
    I have tried them tubless, and saddly, yes you guessed it , the bead broke.
    I hope the newer production ones are stronger.

I have been running light tubes and 30-35 psi, and have not pinch flatted yet [220 pound rider] .As amatter of fact I have never pinched on my 29er!!
    Not being able to be tubeless is a deal breaker for me. I'll wait a bit and see how these new tires shake out. It's not about pinch flatting for me, it's about preventing punctures. There's way too much cactus and sharp sage where I'm at to put up with tubes (and once upon a time I did) when tubeless can work so well -- at least it does with some tires.

Only dead people are old
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemon jello
    I have tried them tubless, and saddly, yes you guessed it , the bead broke...
    Were you running one of those home-made DIY kits or Stan's kit when you blew a bead?

Recovering couch patato
    I still wonder what technically causes beads to break when used without a tube...
    For flat proofness, try light tubes with sealent. Michelin Latex tubes roll faster than any other tube, and are just 120g. Track record for punctures is very good. The 26" version secretly work very well for me, gives me about half of the tubless sensation, in terms of speed, comfort and grip.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski