Maxxis 29er tyres - UST bead?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Maxxis 29er tyres - UST bead?

I've scowered the net but can't find the info. Maybe I'm blind.

Are Maxxis 29er tyres, particularly the Ikon and Aspen, 'tubeless ready'? Ie. do they have a UST bead to seat well with UST rims or is it just a standard bead?

I'm new to 29ers and have read the tyre threads. The only tyres I could get my hands on for the initial build was an S-works Renegade. Light and fast but paper thin and as expected I put a rock through one. For a 2.0-2.1, UST bead, not paper thin/some side wall protection, sub 600 grams tyre is my only option really the Racing Ralph Snakeskin?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti View Post
    I've scowered the net but can't find the info. Maybe I'm blind.

Are Maxxis 29er tyres, particularly the Ikon and Aspen, 'tubeless ready'? Ie. do they have a UST bead to seat well with UST rims or is it just a standard bead?

I'm new to 29ers and have read the tyre threads. The only tyres I could get my hands on for the initial build was an S-works Renegade. Light and fast but paper thin and as expected I put a rock through one. For a 2.0-2.1, UST bead, not paper thin/some side wall protection, sub 600 grams tyre is my only option really the Racing Ralph Snakeskin?
    Maxxis makes the UST tires in two flavors for 29"ers. Crossmark LUST 2.1 and Ardent LUST 2.25. You can find these at Maxxis.

mtbr member
    Non S-Works Speccy tires, i.e. the "Control" models, have thicker sidewalls with some cut protection and still retain the UST bead. The Renegade Control still hits the sub 600g mark too.

Schwalbe tubeless ready tires don't technically have a UST bead. I don't know exactly what the design differences are though.

Bontrager tubeless ready tires have a UST bead and I believe they have some good lightweight XC options

Maxxis doesn't make tubeless ready tires yet, but from what they've shown and said recently they are working on that and the TR options will have a UST bead

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Look at Mountain

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    ...Schwalbe tubeless ready tires don't technically have a UST bead. I don't know exactly what the design differences are though.
    As best I can tell the UST bead interface is identical to the ETRTO tubeless bead. So the tubeless Schwalbe 29er tires are UST bead compatible.

My experience is they make a nice popping 'crack' noise that they seat up.

mtbr member
    As an aside, I'm currently riding the 29er Ardent UST on my front wheel, and I'm so in love with this tire, I'd marry it if the state of Maryland would recognize the union.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    As has been well established by many on this forum, current maxxis tires especially the EXO versions, work very well tubeless.

My older Ardents worked ok, but my newer Ardents are as Tubeless ready as my specialized TLR tires. Ie mount quickly with a hand pump on flow rims, never burp.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

transmitter~receiver
    All tubeless ready systems except for Stan's and Kenda (who makes Stan's tires) use UST/ETRTO beads.
    ETRTO is the standardized (public) version of "UST," which is a licensed trademark of Mavic. They are one and the same.
    That includes: Specialized 2Bliss, Geax TNT, Schwalbe TL Ready, Hutchinson Tubeless Ready, Bontrager TLR, and WTB TCS (and maybe some others I forgot).
    It looks like Maxxis will (finally) start a Tubeless Ready line for next year. They will also have UST/ETRTO beads.
    Note the TR hotpatch on the Minion proto they showed at Interbike:
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Thanks meltingfeather, that is very good to know