Max disc brake diameter on Salsa El Mariachi and Fork?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Max disc brake diameter on Salsa El Mariachi and Fork?

Hi folks,
    what is the suggested disc brake diameter on Salsa El Mariachi frame and fork?
    160 or can I run 180 on both?
    Thanks
    Oliver

Rider and Wrench
    Not sure if your talking new model or old but ~185mm should not be an issue front or rear, I have used a 185 up front on the stock Cromo fork (if it is a suspension fork of course follow those guidelines) I would not imagine needing to run much more than ~185's on a full rigid bike for 99.9% of what the bike is intended for- and a ~

If you have not already try posting in the Salsa Forum- many times one of the guys from Salsa will chime in -
    I Just wish I could ride more!

poser Administrator
    not sure how kosher it is with Salsa but I am running 203 front and rear on the tomatillo green El Mariachi cause it is all that I had when I got the frame. Never had a problem with the frame except a little fork chatter if I don't keep the rotors clean after handling them.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    not sure how kosher it is with Salsa but I am running 203 front and rear on the tomatillo green El Mariachi cause it is all that I had when I got the frame. Never had a problem with the frame except a little fork chatter if I don't keep the rotors clean after handling them.

My 160's do the fork chatter as well- I was not sure if a 203mm would fit or not, but it obviously does... unless your putting glue sticky tires on the back and going 44 mph down the side of a cliff I doubt you could ever really apply enough force on the rear brake??? I forget if the Green, Blue and white first Gen El Mariachi's have a brake re-enforcement at the rear dropout/triangle? but my 2nd gen Red does- I guess this at least helps keep the whole area a bit more resistant to braking forces... not a make or brake (pun intented) it either way-

Odd the Fargo does mention a max rear rotor size (not sure if it is a physical thing or torque concern?) but I have not seen anything on the new or old Mariachi mentioning anything one way or another-
    I Just wish I could ride more!

Members who have read this thread: 0