Mavic C29ssmax Wheelset for a big guy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Mavic C29ssmax Wheelset for a big guy

I've found a set of Mavic C29ssmax wheels for sale locally. I'm interested in buying them but am not sure if they are really what I need. I'm a big guy, go about 240lb, and ride single track and trails. No big drops, 1ft maybe right now, and I don't really jump, not really planning to either. They list the internal width as 19mm, this seems narrow to me, but not sure. I have a Cannondale 29er without the lefty and a set of 2.2 conti racekings on it currently. Not planning to go tubless but who knows in the future. Is this the type of rim I should be looking for? Low spoke count worries me but I'm sure mavic knows something I don't. I am planning to go to a 15qr fork and it says they are adaptable to this. I'm going to be a jerk and cross post this over to the wheels section too. Hope nobody minds.

mtbr member
    At 240 you're fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've read they are strong, the deal is good too. What kind of bearings do the mavic hubs have? Are they sealed or cup and cone?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I love my C29ssmax's, but I would recommend having a shop tension them... I noticed mine were a bit floppy in stock form. With slightly more tension, they track nicely and are holding up well for me at 6'6" and 220 lbs.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Only let a good wheel builder tension these wheels. They are very good wheels and should be fine for your use. They have fewer spokes so you should be very careful not to over tighten any individual spoke to try and make the wheel "stiffer". They also have a more course thread than some other brand spokes and 1/8 turn is a lot of tension.

my two cents

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm a big guy also considering this wheelset, however I do ride a little more aggressive. I don't have personal experiance on the mavic but I would make sure you get the MP3 no fault protection plan. I have this on my deemax and there is nothing like piece of mind for a big guy.

On my 29er right now I have king hubs and stan's flow rims which is night and day stronger than the stock rims (forgot name) that came on the bike. Only problem I've had with them is I seem to be breaking alloy nipples in uphill pedal mashing turns. I should have got brass nipples.

Double check you can convert 9mm to 15QR because I didn't know you could. Which actually was the reason I've almost opted for a second set of king/flow wheels for my Santa Cruz tallboy

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    After having a set of these for a year I would not recommend them for 29er use.
    When properly tensioned the wheels are stiff and light. They look good and feel good.
    The downside is the very poor Mavic rear hub.
    Easy to service and I have serviced mine regularly as per the insructions however I have had two hubs wear out in the space of a year. One after only 10 hours of use. Mavic has replaced both of these under warranty but I feel the design is not meant for the stresses of 29er use. I think that other companies have recognised this (i.e. Shimano) and released a stronger 29er specific rear hub.

It's a real shame because I do like these wheel, they are just not durage enough.
    I am 6'5" and around 100kg.

Former Bike Wrench
    I posted this for the same question in the Wheel forum

The C29ssmax are plenty tough, even with the low spoke count. The issue I have with ALL proprietary wheels is the lack of access to replacement parts. Rims, spokes, nipples, and some hub parts are likely not going to be available at a LBS. Repairs often require you to send the entire wheel back to the manufacturer (on your dime) and wait until you get them back.

They retail for $775 and weigh about 1750g. Not sure what kind of "sale" your getting, but you could get a set of Stans NoTube ZTR Arch 29ers for under $500 that weigh about the same, are plenty tough, and use more standard spokes, nipples, and 32 hole rims. The Stans front hub is compatible with 15mm with the $15 adapters. You can run standard tubes with Stans rims or go tubeless.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'll second the above post. I have a set I got used from a friend.(which i'm just borrowing until i get a real wheel set) For ~500 you can do better. The rear hub sucks, low engagement, drags a little and the little bushing in the freehub body wears way to fast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Can I do better for about $300? I'm probably going to get them. Where can I buy parts, meaning do I have to order through mavic or can I get them from a LBS provided they have access? If I get them cheap I'm not against putting a little money into them. They also come with a set of almost new Nevegals.

mtbr member
    For 300? You would end up with something much heavier I think...for that kind of price I would give the Mavics a shot even with the proprietary issues. Keep your current wheels just in case you get stuck waiting on something.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Spent some time reading about these wheels. Seems with bigger guys on them flex is an issue, especially in the rear. Also seem to be a number of people having problems with freehub failure and rear bearings. Kind of unsure what I should do now. I may still buy them and hang onto them for the winter, decide if I want them, and if not sell them and get something else.

I also haven't found a solid answer if I can convert to a 15mm qr. I plan to buy a fork with 15qr, but if I can't convert the front hub over then I probably don't want them. Anybody know for sure if it can be done. Looks like you can go from standard qr to 20mm TA.

So say I want to spend at most $500 on a wheelset, what should I be looking for? Tubeless isn't a neccessity, but I may try it and want a pretty painless setup. I want to be able to use a 15mm QR, disc only, weight isn't a huge concern. I mostly want a set of wheels I can put on the bike and not have to fool with very often.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Wheels sold before I got them, oh well. This will give me the winter to think it through and really figure out what I want to get, not just what the good deal is.

Members who have read this thread: 0