Mavic 520 wheels question- Mtbr.com
    Tree Hugger
    Jul 2005

Mavic 520 wheels question

The LBS has some wheels they built up for someone else who never picked them up. I can get them for a decent sale price. But, because this is a significant amount of money to me I want to make sure they'll work for me.

I'm 225 right now. I like to ride technical stuff and I like to jump off small things (up to 3' or so) and hop around on the bike. I don't avoid obstacles, but have fun with them. I'm on a rig with the stock wheels and they are too flexy for me. I am going to buy new wheels and these are an obvious choice.

The wheels are Mavic 520 rims laced up to Paul Disc hubs. They are 32 spoke wheels. I don't know what the spokes are.

Do you think this will be beefy enough for me?

Thanks,

Reed

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Reedster
    The LBS has some wheels they built up for someone else who never picked them up. I can get them for a decent sale price...

The wheels are Mavic 520 rims laced up to Paul Disc hubs. They are 32 spoke wheels. I don't know what the spokes are...

Do you think this will be beefy enough for me?
    In a word, Hmmm.

I'm not quite your size, but close. I spent my first two bigwheel years aboard a pair of T520s after rejecting the wheels that came to me with my first 29" bike. The rejected wheels were 32 spoke and built with thin spokes (15-16-15 maybe?). They were flexy and I could not stand that.

Now, my 520s were laced with 36 spokes. Butted 14-15-14 up front, straight 14 in the back. DT spokes, brass nipps, XT centerlock hubs. By a pro wheelbuilder. Tough as nails. Been through plenty.

I still have them, they are rolling under my touring bike. I rode them yesterday. Front and rear are true enough for a road bike, but the rear has one heavy duty dent that tweaked the roundness just a bit.

Your shop's sale wheels might be OK. The T520 was a really bomber rim, fine for off-road. But I'm a hard-core 36 spoke bigot for the massive set like you and me. 32 can work but 36 always works better. I'd say the most critical variable is the spokes used. The Paul hubs--no idea whether that's good or bad, no experience with them. But bling-ish hubs are sometimes the sign of a weight-weenie or gear goober. Watch out that they didn't do something really dumb like Ti spokes or carbon fiber nipples.

If I were you, I'd avoid throwing any good money at someone else's passed up wheels. Let some 140-pounder buy those wheels. Contact Mike C and have him lace me up something perfect for your needs. Bet he can serve you up a number of price options.

Good wheels can last years, even if you really use them hard. More important on the bigwheel to build them right, out of the right stuff if it's for a larger rider.

My $.02
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Sep 2005
    I agree with team_bfd. I've had lots of experince with Paul hubs and they are great hubs. But like he says look out for wimpy spokes. For a 32 spoke wheel with your weight I'd opt for straight gauge spokes. Maybe DT Competitions but only if you are not a wheel basher. Going with a pro builder is good idea. He will ask you a lots of questions about your bike, weight, and riding style. Then he will build a set of wheels that will suit you. It might cost a little more (or not) but totally worth it.

Tree Hugger
    Jul 2005

Aarrrggghhhh!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauliemon
    I agree with team_bfd. I've had lots of experince with Paul hubs and they are great hubs. But like he says look out for wimpy spokes. For a 32 spoke wheel with your weight I'd opt for straight gauge spokes. Maybe DT Competitions but only if you are not a wheel basher. Going with a pro builder is good idea. He will ask you a lots of questions about your bike, weight, and riding style. Then he will build a set of wheels that will suit you. It might cost a little more (or not) but totally worth it.
    Yea, I was afraid I might hear something like this. I was psyched on the wheels, but after reading posts on here about wheels I began to wonder if it was a 32 or 36 spoke wheel. When I found out yesterday that they were 32 I was worried that they might not be as beefy as I would like. Drats. Now I have to sell some more stuff on Ebay to increase my paypal account so I can get some better wheels.
    ~R

Members who have read this thread: 0