Marzocchi MXR air and Avid 185mm rotor- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Marzocchi MXR air and Avid 185mm rotor

I apologize in advance if this has been covered before but a quick search didn't come up with anything...

Is it safe to run an Avid BB7 with the 185mm rotor on a 2002 Marzocchi MXR air 29er fork? This particular fork is an OEM model that came on the 2002 Fisher Mt. Tam. I recently bought one that I will be stripping the parts off of and using to build a KM for my brother. He's a big kid and I think would benefit from the larger rotor but wanted make sure that I'm not going to ruin the fork. I can just as easily order the 160mm brake since I'll be ordering new anyway. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this particular fork/brake combo.

Thanks.

rider
    Jan 2005

185mm rotor?

I'm running a 185mm front rotor with the avid mechanical caliper on my Marz MX pro. This is the OEM fork on my '04 293 sugar.

Works great.

Slap a 160 in the rear. I put 185's F&R on my '03 paragon 29er and the rear was too touchy. The 160 on the rear of my 293 works great!

29erchico

mtbr member

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to stick to a V-brake on the rear to start with...for a few reasons. First, the potential problems with the KM rear wheel and discs. Second, the money factor...I already have V-brakes. Third, my bro needs to prove to me that he's going to ride the bike before we get too deep in the upgrades. He's taken a few good first steps...quit smoking, lost a bunch of weight. If he rides the thing to death, there may be a SS conversion for the Monkey in the works and a new 29er geary in the future. Probably a Sugar 293.

Thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 0