Marz or Rock Shox?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Marz or Rock Shox?

Hey all. I'm interested into purchasing a 29er and I have almost all my bike parts figured out. All of them but the fork. I really wanted to stay with Fox, but as everybody knows they don't want to make one for a 29" wheel... yet.
    So, my question is what is the best fork for a 29" bike? I'm not interested in price just quality and reliability. Thanks for all the help.
    Last edited by homey; 07-28-2005 at 02:10 PM.
    "You can become a very fast donkey, but you'll never be a thoroughbred..."

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by homey
    Hey all. I'm interested into purchasing a 29er and I have almost all my bike parts figured out. All of them but the fork. I really wanted to stay with Fox, but as everybody knows they don't want to make one for a 29" wheel... yet.
    So, my question is what is the best fork for a 29" bike? I'm not interested in price just quality and reliability. Thanks for all the help.
    It's between Maverick American, Rock Shox, and White Brothers. Marzhocchi is not in the running for "best 29er shock."
    FS: Everything

Recovering couch patato
    White Brothers seems best for the Fox fan. Stiffer and lighter than Fox 26" forks, with smart dampers announced for the 2006 models. Reba's as the easy way out, less stiff, not as light, so-so damping system.

mtbr member
    I understand that White Brothers has a good product but don't they have some issues with disc brake rotor clearance? I plan on using XTR disc brakes and rotors. And also, on a cosmetic note, I can't stand leftover cantilever posts on a disc-brake equipped fork... hideous! I have seen this on all the White Brothers 29" forks, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all their 29" forks have both brake systems.
    I forgot about Maverick forks. Do the single crown forks work w/ 29" wheels? I've seen the dual crown forks with the wheels, but I'm unsure about the single crown. What is the travel when it's hooked up for a 29" wheel?
    Thanks for the info, please keep it coming!

mtbr member
    Too bad Marzocchi doesn't put more effort into their 29er offerings. If they offered the equivalent of the Marathon XC for a 29er it would smoke any other 29er offering. Having ridden an Marz AM1 with TST and ETA (which is also available on the Marathon XC), all I can say that it is the most plush, most adjustable, best fork out period. I could not sell my 2005 Foxes fast enough.

The Duuude, man...
    Quick clarity on Cloxx's points about the REBA/WB:
    *yes WB is rumored to be marginally (read: barely noticable) stiffer than the REBA
    *yes, WB is rumored to be marginally (read: barely noticable w/out a gram scale) lighter than the REBA
    *what he didn't mention is that it's nearly universally agreed that the REBA's offer a better ride quality, in terms of the adjustability, feel, etc of the fork.

BUT, for '06 the WB is supposed to be updated with new internals, and THEN it will be a full new game...don't forget, 2003 and up forks will be retro-fittable with the new internals, so if you own one now, or can get a slammin' deal on one, buy it, hold it, upgrade it, be happy...

Now to your questions:

I understand that White Brothers has a good product but don't they have some issues with disc brake rotor clearance? I plan on using XTR disc brakes and rotors. And also, on a cosmetic note, I can't stand leftover cantilever posts on a disc-brake equipped fork... hideous! I have seen this on all the White Brothers 29" forks, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all their 29" forks have both brake systems.
    I forgot about Maverick forks. Do the single crown forks work w/ 29" wheels? I've seen the dual crown forks with the wheels, but I'm unsure about the single crown. What is the travel when it's hooked up for a 29" wheel?
    Thanks for the info, please keep it coming!
    The clearance issue is when you are running a KING ISO disc hub and a WB fork. With this combo you MAY have a clearance problem....but not all users of this combo experience trouble. If you're running any other hub, expect no issues...also, it's not about which BRAKE you use...King Hub + WB fork = you MIGHT have rubbing.

Cosmetic issue: well, I don't know...the studs are removable...my reco: buy some of those ultra dope Hope cable routers that thread into the V-brake post...they are so cool, i'm WISHING my REBA had V-holes so that I could use one...

Mav single crown (SC32): yes, it will work with 29ers. They offer a kit that reduces the travel of the fork, DOWN TO 100mm...plus don't forget the "itch switch" which will throw it down to 3" for climbing or smooth roads. The kit limits the travel, but does not at all effect the axle to crown...which is 15mm shorter than a REBA in 100mm mode.

Personal experience:
    *love WB, owned many, will probably get a '06 w/smart internals - or a 200-2005 one and upgrade it later to the new internals.
    *love REBA's, got em, run em, sell em, keep em, they're awesome, and the best value fork in existance now for 29ers.
    *Mav: got one, building a wheel now, will report in a few weeks on function
    FS: Everything

29 inches and Pissed Off!

Put something purty there.

And also, on a cosmetic note, I can't stand leftover cantilever posts on a disc-brake equipped fork... hideous! I have seen this on all the White Brothers 29" forks, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all their 29" forks have both brake systems.
    Put something purty there.
    Dan C.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CaptainKana.com
    Mountain Biking.....Cheaper than a mistress.

rider
    Jan 2005

More info needed please homey...

What frame(s) are you thinking about slapping this fork on? FS, soft tail or hard tail?
    What travel fork is this frame designed for (current frames use from 80-134mm)?
    What axle to crown length (A-C) is this frame designed around?

Then we can make some really solid suggestions.

29erchico

mtbr member

Thanks for asking

I'm getting an Independent cro-mo hardtail built to whatever specs I choose. I will have the fork picked out before I build the frame so it will make perfect fit for each other(at least until I replace that fork with something else). At the moment I'm at work looking through my QBP and BTI catalogs. I really like the White Bros because I want to role with the Phil Wood hubs. As far as I can tell , Maverick forks only work with Chris King hubs or a MAverick hub... I want, really want, Phil Wood hubs. THanks for all the help
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico
    What frame(s) are you thinking about slapping this fork on? FS, soft tail or hard tail?
    What travel fork is this frame designed for (current frames use from 80-134mm)?
    What axle to crown length (A-C) is this frame designed around?

Then we can make some really solid suggestions.

29erchico