Marin or Giant.- Mtbr.com

Thread: Marin or Giant.

mtbr member
    May 2019

Marin or Giant.

Hello, new to the forum ...recently started riding again...currently on a 18 Marin Hawk hill. I want to upgrade to either a 2020 Marin Rift zone 3 or a Giant Giant Trance 29 2. 2020 or 2019. The bikes are pretty close in the components and basically the same price.

Iíve never tried a Giant and itís hard to find a XL frame at the demo days.

Question is will there a a big difference between these 2 bikes?

Iím 6í5Ē and ride mostly single track locally. Itís important that the climbing ability is very good. Roots, rocks and small drops.

Reason for these 2 bikes ...this is what the local dealer sells.

Support local!!!!

https://www.marinbikes.com/ca/bikes/20-rift-zone-3
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/trance-29-2-2020

mtbr member
    I own a giant trance 29 advanced pro 2. I am 6'2" and my trance 29 is an XL. I feel that the trance is a better bike then the marin... I'm not a huge fan of horst link bikes.

However the XL trance isn't big enough for you. The XL marin is a far better fit for your height and seat height. For me, deciding between these two bikes is a no brainer because the trance is absolutely, 1 size too small for you.

Marin all the way.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    I own a giant trance 29 advanced pro 2. I am 6'2" and my trance 29 is an XL. I feel that the trance is a better bike then the marin... I'm not a huge fan of horst link bikes.

However the XL trance isn't big enough for you. The XL marin is a far better fit for your height and seat height. For me, deciding between these two bikes is a no brainer because the trance is absolutely, 1 size too small for you.

Marin all the way.

Thatís exactly what Iím struggling with...this Hawk hill has a reach of 464mm and I feel so cramped.....the new riftzone is 515mm....Trance 480mm. Thatís what I was questioning about the trance and made me think the riftzone would be a better fit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post

Marin all the way.
    I agree with this, except the Marin is technically a single pivot and not a Horst-Link. The Giant has better suspension, but the Marin XL will fit you better. I'm 6'3", and the Marin XL was a tad too long for me. The XL Giant fits me perfectly. I have long legs, so take that into consideration.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    No experience with the Giant but Iím in a 2018 Rift Zone 2 size XL.

Iím 6í2 with some long legs living in the SF Bay Area so any riding I want to do typically has a climb.

The bike stoke had no issues climbing other than the gearing but the newer version you are looking at took care of that with the better drivetrain.

This bike punches way above its weight class and is great all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillWorkForTrail
    I'm throwing this out there, sorta half cocked. But here it is anyway. It's something for you to look at. There's a big size gap in the new Giant Reign. I haven't looked at the prices, but I know the XL Reign is larger than the XL Trance, and folks were talking about it in my local shop and I mentioned I kind of wish the Trance was longer, even though I have an XL and like 6'3" and a half. I have long arms. So the XL feels a little small. Plus, if the Reign can come close price wise, I don't think you'll get on it and think "gosh, this sucks" because the 27.5 trance has been 140 in the rear for years, and climbs pretty well. Just something to check out for yourself.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'5". That Marin has a long 'reach' but that stack is very low. My bike has the same reach (515mm) but has literally 50mm (nearly 2") more stack. I bet that that Marin isn't going to feel as big as it seems on paper. That may not be a problem. You might have to run higher rise bars though.

I agree about the Reign 29. It should fit and it has a similar head tube angle as the Marin.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Great comments fellas...thanks...Giant Reign is a sweet bike and I did look at that one before, but was thinking with the more travel the climbing abilities would be as good as the trance or rift. Like I said, just getting into it and trying to sort everything out.

I do feel there is more value for the dollar in the comparable Giant bike vs the Marins. Coming off this Hawk Hill, my next bike I want it to be a big difference in ride quality.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS75 View Post
    Great comments fellas...thanks...Giant Reign is a sweet bike and I did look at that one before, but was thinking with the more travel the climbing abilities would be as good as the trance or rift. Like I said, just getting into it and trying to sort everything out.

I do feel there is more value for the dollar in the comparable Giant bike vs the Marins. Coming off this Hawk Hill, my next bike I want it to be a big difference in ride quality.
    If you can find a size to fit you, the Trance 29 is pretty much dialed as far as suspension goes and fits your intended use to a T. Thrilled with mine.

As far a sizing goes, I'd strongly recommend you find some to test ride yourself rather than having someone on a forum tell you which size fits you. Different strokes for different folks.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Yeah I need to track down a XL trance

mtbr member
    One more thought to consider is the warranty. If youíre like me and you plan on keeping the bike for a long time, the giant warranty on the frame is lifetime to the original owner, Marin in 5 years. Thatís why Iím considering another Trance or a stump jumper.
    You can do a lot in a lifetime, If you don't burn out too fast...First you need endurance, First you've got to last...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I would not look at the sticker.
    If one fits you well, take it.
    If not sure select the dealer you trust.
    I love to climb and for wet times wide rim+wide tire are great on roots and rocks.
    Just dial in your PSI and practice(ask your locals for tire, here Rekons 3c 120 TPI do it).

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Just re-iterating: The new Trance is a rad bike and one of my favorites in the last several years. As others have stated, it's too small for you unless you have unusual proportions.

I'm 6'2, 34 inseam, +2 ape and owned an XL Trance. Perfect size for me. When I was selling it, a 6'5 guy test rode and it was ridiculously small for him.

At your height, you're really on the XL-XXL cusp for most brands.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.