Which marathon XC w/ 2 big bottles?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Which marathon XC w/ 2 big bottles?

Which bike/frame for marathon XC would you recommend that supports 2 bottles in the main triangle and might be set up with AXS or XTR 1x12 ?
    Complete bike is desirable, can make build by myself although will cost more. Weight weeny, 175cm, 86cm inseam, 69kg, occasional racing, technical, absolutely in-love with single tracks
    Desired component spec:
    Fox 34SC 110~120, might go with 32SC 100 as well with the right frame/combo
    SRAM Eagle AXS or XTR 1x12
    Lightweight carbon wheels 25mm inner, should be less than 1500gr
    Dropper 100~125cm
    Candidates:
    1. Canyon LUX - all XTR models are sold-out or unavailable
    2. Orbea OIZ - most promising at the moment, TR model no love for the wheelset (old grudge for Mavic)
    3. Bulls prototype (2020), four bar might imply a low efficiency platform (yet smooth and active) unless "propedal" engaged
    4. Spesh EPIC - no, rear suspension opening upon impact is annoying to me as it resembles a snake bite / too low pressure in the rear tyre
    5. Scalpel - no, too racy, small second bottle on the seat tube

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Rocky Mountain Element. 120 mm up front, 100 at the back.
    Size medium fits a 620 ml camelback bottle on the seat tube with ease, down tube can carry even an 1 L bottle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Totally agree with ionivan, was going to suggest the same bike. Can't go wrong with the Element for Marathon application.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Cannondale makes a less racy Scalpel that is equivalent to the Specialized Epic Evo as far as travel and use. There are lots of bikes in this category when you start looking around, there are also some good double-bottle solutions that can be had.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I've got a hardtail, but if/when I move to a full suspension, the double water bottle is a must for me. The above mentioned frames are all ones I've looked at. The only other one I can think of right now is the Signal Peak from Fezzari. They don't do Shimano builds, though, so you'd need to go with the frameset option.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Forgot about Salsa. The Spearfish also has a double bottle mount. Again, I think you'd need to do the XTR build yourself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Cannondale makes a less racy Scalpel that is equivalent to the Specialized Epic Evo as far as travel and use. There are lots of bikes in this category when you start looking around, there are also some good double-bottle solutions that can be had.
    For the OP: https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...s/b-rad-system

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Fezzari Signal Peak, Frame only option, get a mix of parts, or a complete. Prices are competitive.

Nice geo, lightweight, stiff, decent suspension, three water bottle mounts with two in the frame, dropper compatible, remote and electric shifting compatible, great CS and support, built overseas but supported in the USA (Utah).

I'm running mine with a mix of bin parts, SC34/Float DPS, rides great, nice crossover XC/trail bike.

Edit: Three, yes THREE full size water bottle mounts, two inside the frame and one under the downtube.
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 1 Week Ago at 02:01 PM.
    For Sale: XMed GG Smash Frameset +
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    With the Oiz you do have the option on the XC bikes to choose different suspension (120 F/R), tires, dropper seatpost and wheelset (including on the TR version).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have a large Element which easily fits a 500ml bottle on the seatube and a 750 on the downtube.
    Its also an amazing bike in general.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which marathon XC w/ 2 big bottles?-20190414_184851_resized.jpg  

Which marathon XC w/ 2 big bottles?-20190414_184859_resized.jpg  

mtbr member
    ^^^ looks like the lower link would hit the top of the bottle when the suspension compresses. Does it?
    Do the math.

rth009
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    I used this system previously (BRAD 4, double bottle adapter) to get two bottle cages on a bike that only had one. Now that my new Horsethief frame has two full size bottle cages in the frame, I will use it to allow me to carry 3, plus another smaller bottle with the Wolf Tooth accessory strap below the dual-water bottle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by akindofbrian View Post
    I've got a hardtail, but if/when I move to a full suspension, the double water bottle is a must for me. The above mentioned frames are all ones I've looked at. The only other one I can think of right now is the Signal Peak from Fezzari. They don't do Shimano builds, though, so you'd need to go with the frameset option.
    Order what you need, Fezzari will do partial builds. I did a frame up plus fork. I'm no racer, mine is more for moderate trail, long days, and bikepacking. No complaints, does everything I ask it to do and more. I'm 200#, not gentle, I kinda flog it, esp when I should have been on my enduro bike
    For Sale: XMed GG Smash Frameset +
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    No, clears it fine.

mtbr member
    Also consider the Oiz. You can fully customize the color of one (if you're willing to wait) for no extra charge.

Comes in 100mm or 120mm configs.

https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles/mountain/oiz

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MavAndy View Post
    I have a large Element which easily fits a 500ml bottle on the seatube and a 750 on the downtube.
    Its also an amazing bike in general.
    That's a nice looking ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MavAndy View Post
    No, clears it fine.
    Must be the perspective in the photos.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Must be the perspective in the photos.
    Could use a flat cap for the bottle under the shock, might gain a bit more water volume. Don't mind filling one bottle from the other.

I just managed to get my hands on a cost effective (I'm located in the EU) brand new Lux CF SL 8.0 Race Team, that'll fill the gap for the summer. My heart is still set on the OIZ , will have to fall into better graces with my better half to pull this out :-)