Marathon Woes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Marathon Woes

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Marathon Woes

I recently had my Marathon rebuilt by Marzocchi because the seals had blown on it. The repair was covered under warranty, so no big deal. I went on my second trail ride with the rebuilt fork today and the seals blew again...total mess, oil everywhere and a jacked up fork. Has anyone else had this problem, is this common for the Marathons? If so is there anything that can be done to help prevent this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmtbr
    I recently had my Marathon rebuilt by Marzocchi because the seals had blown on it. The repair was covered under warranty, so no big deal. I went on my second trail ride with the rebuilt fork today and the seals blew again...total mess, oil everywhere and a jacked up fork. Has anyone else had this problem, is this common for the Marathons? If so is there anything that can be done to help prevent this?
    Don't think it's common. I've ridden mine quite frequently and never had any issues w/seals although I heard if the seals will go they go early and if they don't than your golden.

mtbr member

I had one of those as well

My seals broke as well, but mine did it a little more slowly. They drooped a little, and when I went to pump them up, I got oil all over. I also had Marz rebuild 'em, but I haven't had any problems yet, but only a few hundred miles since. I think that one of the problems happen when you pump up the wrong valve. If you get the negative and positive valves reversed the pressure will surely bust the seals.
    Don't get stuck on stupid!

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmtbr
    Doesn't sound common to me. I've owned 3 zoke air forks, and all held up very well.