Manitou Minute 29 has lost about 1" of travel: any advice?- Mtbr.com
    Blanco
    Nov 2004

New question here. Manitou Minute 29 has lost about 1" of travel: any advice?

My Minute 29 has started to sit about 1" down in its travel no matter what I do.

No matter how much I pump up the air leg, the fork will sit down about an inch from fully extended. I can pull it up to full extension, but it's completely slack in that range...no damping and no resistance either way. It's like I suddenly have a 75mm fork instead of a 100mm fork.

The oil level in the damper side appears to be in its normal range of 90-100mm.

For the rest of its travel, it feels and functions normally.

Any advice? What's happening here?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I think you broke the spring. Same thing happened to me. I disassembled, put in a heavier duty spring and alls well again. The spring is only 6-10 bucks. Read the tech manual on the Manitou website and put in your new spring. You don't have to open right side of the fork. Or have your LBS do it.

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    Update: I called Manitou tech support and they assured me a broken spring was my problem. Furthermore, they are sending me one for free even though I'm out of warranty, as apparently the springs in the original Minute Absolute were prone to breakage.

Big up to Manitou for being both helpful over the phone (their tech support guy was on top of his stuff...no clueless phone droids there) and for taking care of me.

FYI, the stock medium spring is only recommended for riders below 180-185#, fully geared. They recommend the firm up to 205-210#, and the x-firm above that.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by El Caballo
    Furthermore, they are sending me one for free even though I'm out of warranty

Big up to Manitou for being both helpful over the phone (their tech support guy was on top of his stuff...no clueless phone droids there) and for taking care of me.
    Good result , its service like that which makes you buy their products again and again.
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by El Caballo
    Update: I called Manitou tech support and they assured me a broken spring was my problem. Furthermore, they are sending me one for free even though I'm out of warranty, as apparently the springs in the original Minute Absolute were prone to breakage.

FYI, the stock medium spring is only recommended for riders below 180-185#, fully geared. They recommend the firm up to 205-210#, and the x-firm above that.
    Got a phone number for Manitou, and the name of the smart tech that helped you?