Man I think I've been running way too high PSI in my Exiwolfs!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Man I think I've been running way too high PSI in my Exiwolfs!

My rigid riding has made me realize that I've been running way way too much psi in my exiwolfs.

I was up around 35psi initially and now I'm reading that guys are running nearly half that (18-20 range).

I guess I was worried about pinch flats and sidewall tears, but I'm going to lower the pressure even more tomorrow morning if the weather permits.

These high volume tires like Exiwolfs are okay to run pretty damned low huh?

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    Yep run 'em low...

I run an exi up front.

I've run it down to around 16 psi (accidently) w/o problems.

I usually run between 18 and 22 psi.

160lbs geared up

LP

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Back when I had the Juice and ran it rigid with a KM fork and exi's, I started with my normal ~30 psi. It rode ok but still felt a little firm. Dropped to pressure to ~20 and man what a difference. Made for a nice comfy ride. Try 20, you'll like it.

Steve

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Just watch for RIm issues that low..............

Do you ride rocky/technical terrain??
    I found that the volume of the Exi allows MUCH lower psi with no p-flats.
    My problem is rim integrity.
    I have gone under 25psi, but I find my speed and line must be slow and precise.
    Consequently, I usually run just a shade under 30 psi (25-27 f 27-30 r).
    35-40 psi on the road to the trail.
    Was it Rainman running 20 psi??
    Great traction and soft ride, but seems low for a fully rigid if you have anything but smooth ST or fireroad.

my .02

C.

mtbr member
    I do have a lot of rocks here - My wheels are used Bontrager Race Discs - probably not the best, but it was what I could afford at the time. I'll try going down to 25 or slightly less for the next time out.

Also, can I run a wire bead Exi lower than a kevlar beaded Exi? I've got a wire bead in back and a Kevlar in front (again either bargain priced new tires or barely used ones in the case of the kevlar beaded Exi).

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    My rigid riding has made me realize that I've been running way way too much psi in my exiwolfs.

I was up around 35psi initially and now I'm reading that guys are running nearly half that (18-20 range).

I guess I was worried about pinch flats and sidewall tears, but I'm going to lower the pressure even more tomorrow morning if the weather permits.

These high volume tires like Exiwolfs are okay to run pretty damned low huh?
    Sidewall tears are usually unrelated to pressure.

Pinch flats are.

My guidelines for pressure with any off road tire is to run as low as possible without pinch flatting or the tire feeling squirmy in hard cornering.

Unlike some on this board, I do not find that I can run lower pressures in a 29" tire compared to a 26" tire of similar design and cross section volume. 25psi is about the lower limit with the Exi for me.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

...Also, can I run a wire bead Exi lower than a kevlar beaded Exi? I've got a wire bead in back and a Kevlar in front (again either bargain priced new tires or barely used ones in the case of the kevlar beaded Exi).
    Should not make a difference. The bead material is the only difference AFAIK. Same casing and tread construction.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Should not make a difference. The bead material is the only difference AFAIK. Same casing and tread construction.
    Thank you Times Two Shiggy!

mtbr member
    Ask those low pressure guys how much they weigh, e.g. rainman is 5'4" (link)

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    I am in the 170-180 range. Rarely use more than 35 psi in any tire wider than a stated 1.9". I do go higher in the rear for fast and rocky places like Downieville.
    mtbtires.com

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    I believe MMcG was referring to me as one of those that run ~18-20. I weigh 155. I like to ride rocky stuff, but I try to pick good lines. I try my best not to smash and bash (although it happens anyway). I lift and unweight when I can. If I rode faster or wasn't more careful, I'd probably bump up the pressure a bit.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    WOW
    That low?
    I like to ride a hard tire... on the 26" I was on before I would run upwards of 55psi.
    When I picked the MC up it had 20psi in it and it felt fine, but I thought that was WAY too low. I have only been on trail once but I had it aired up to 42psi or so... I guess I should try a bit lower

Just Ride!
    That's high? I run mine at 65psi both front(Kenda Klaw) and rear(Conti Vapor) but it's mostly fireroads where I ride. Maybe I should lower it a tad bit and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Yep I'm getting rider weights from these guys. I'm about 180 with gear. So I'm probably more in the shiggy range.

I guess that idea to run as low as possible, just above the pinchflat threshold is a good guide. But that would mean I'd have to test it and then change out a flat on a KM, which isn't the most pleasant experience.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I think we're all coming from different angles here, esp. whether or not folks are using shocks. With a shock, you don't have to worry about comfort as much, so you can pump up your tires harder. I run rigid, so I need to lower the pressure.

I've experimented with higher pressures, i.e., 25 psi and above for me, and I bounced so much that I had a hard time holding onto the bars on my trails.

mtbr member
    I'm about 155lbs 5'9", rigid Mono...
    Looks like I need to start experimenting.

Mar 2006
    170lbs 5'9" I run fully rigid with Exiwolfs front and rear and anything more than 25psi is way too stiff. Traction is also much better with the lower pressures. Really rocky terrain might need a couple pounds more pressure.

Feb 2006
    I'm running mid 20s with an Exi on a rigid fork. I weigh in around 80kg - 180lbs. I had them harder to begin with, but the ride and grip are definitely much better at the lower psi.

Work Shed...
    I'm in mr.salty's boat. As a rear tire I've accidently run it at 20psi, and I'm 175-180lbs.. No problems with pinch flats, but I also just out for a easy spin around a local loop. For most of my riding I gotta run it at 27-30psi so I don't smack my rim on larger roots, or rocks when I'm in the mnts. As a front tire it seems like I could run it as low as I want and not bang a rim, although when it's under 20psi the front tire "floats" around a little to much in loose stuff..
    It's not hip hop, it's electro.....

35 - 38 psi

I run the back tire a little higher than the front.

I don't mind drifting a little in the corners... I do mind pinch flats, dings in my rims and going slow.
    210... ride fast, technical, rocky, rooty trails and like to get the wheels off the ground too.

Yep I'm getting rider weights from these guys. I'm about 180 with gear. So I'm probably more in the shiggy range.

I guess that idea to run as low as possible, just above the pinchflat threshold is a good guide. But that would mean I'd have to test it and then change out a flat on a KM, which isn't the most pleasant experience.
    Sometimes you will feel the tire bottoming out without flatting. If you do, add a bit of air.

Though rather than starting low and increasing the pressure I like to start a bit high and bleed air on the trail.

I am also a "light" rider and try to pick good lines. Years ago I was racing on a rigid bike, 2.2 front @ 32psi, 1.8 rear @ 36. Would pass riders using sussy forks on rocky descents. Later heard several saying "I had 50psi in my tires and STILL flatted." I had 1 flat in 3-4 seasons.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Sometimes you will feel the tire bottoming out without flatting. If you do, add a bit of air.

Though rather than starting low and increasing the pressure I like to start a bit high and bleed air on the trail.
    This is good advice, I'll give it a try in the morning since I'm not shifting gears right now (even though it is a weak simulation of ss, it is better than nothing), I've had to stop a few times to get my legs back under me and bring my heartrate back down a bit anyway. So that's the perfect time to let out a little air pressure while taking a breather.

mtbr member
    I dented a Delgado rim without pinch flatting the Exi that I was running. It felt a bit soft in the parking lot, but I usually run tires in the 30s (at 170 lbs. rider weight).

The damage occured when I hit a foot wide, square edged trench coming around a blindish corner on Tam. My buddy pinched flatted the 26" tire on his 4" travel bike, but no rim damage.

old man riding!

25 psi..

I tried running about 32 to 35 psi on my monocog 29,which has exi's on it, and I felt it was to hard so I dropped it to 25 psi front and rear and so far it seems pretty comfy.I'm about 160lbs and I ride pretty light . The area where I live is probably much like drevil,mostly rocky . I think if you try the tires at 25psi and maybe if that still feels to hard do what shiggy said and bleed some out on the trail ...

mtbr member
    I gave 20 psi a shot last night, and the traction and comfort were generally better, it seemed, than at my usual 25-27 psi, but the front folded over on me a couple of times and I felt the rear rim smack a root once. I wouldn't have been messing around with such low (for me) pressure, but the trail was less rocky than the ones I have been riding lately, and I thought it would be fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Like I said in your other thread. I'm 180 (or more depending on how much [email protected] I've been eating). Below 20psi is working for me so far. That doesn't mean its perfect, but its WAY better than 30psi.

Flight Junkie
    What pressures are people running with Ignitors? I have mine set up tubeless and think I need to lower them a little (run the 32 psi currently). Thanks
    ROTOR HEAD

Reviewer/Tester

Good job! More Info.

I'm around 168 lbs ... short and stocky build.

Exi's at 20 psi on a rigid SIR 9.

Everyone needs to adjust pressures to suit their weight, riding style and location. If you are banging your rims, increase the psi a few lbs.

If you never hit a rim, let some air out..

Pretty simple.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by IBIKEAZ
    What pressures are people running with Ignitors? I have mine set up tubeless and think I need to lower them a little (run the 32 psi currently). Thanks
    ~20. I run the Igs on the rear (tubed).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    ~20. I run the Igs on the rear (tubed).
    I get squirm under 30 with the Ignitors when cornering hard. Im 190lb +.
    Rule of thumb- 1 Lb. costs 2 sec. per mile of climb

mtbr member
    Rode to the bank last night, some real rough technical city streets , lowered the EXi's on the Mono to about 32psi... Felt a lot better. Did some stairs, some rock gardens, and just your average street, sidewalk, curb stuff... Felt about right for the street. When I hit the trail again I think I will start at the 32psi and go down from there.

mtbr member
    Bringing this back up, I rode the trails 2 or 3 times at 32 to 35 and just couldn't get over the feeling like I had a flat all the time. I ended up going up to 40psi and so far so good.

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Quote Originally Posted by day1si
    Bringing this back up, I rode the trails 2 or 3 times at 32 to 35 and just couldn't get over the feeling like I had a flat all the time. I ended up going up to 40psi and so far so good.

If you are running 40 psi why in the world are you riding on an Exi?

the only reason for using an exi in my opinion is to run lower pressure. Save a pound of rotating weight and running something that will handle better at higher pressure. I think any number of tires are better at higher pressure, but of course you may feel differently.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Tire pressure and weight

I think with a fully loaded camelback I am up to 185. I have a fully rigid bike. My rims are the Salsa DDs. I found the 20 front and 25 rear works very well for me. I have been runing that for a couple months now and have yet to pinch flat. And some of the terrain is very rocky. I hit my rims on occasion, but they have held up well and like I said no pinches yet.

On a completely different not. I can't wait for a high volume tire with some big old knobs on it. Exi's suck for my summer riding.

Nate

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Law
    If you are running 40 psi why in the world are you riding on an Exi?

the only reason for using an exi in my opinion is to run lower pressure. Save a pound of rotating weight and running something that will handle better at higher pressure. I think any number of tires are better at higher pressure, but of course you may feel differently.
    Because they are what came w/ my bike...
    At this point I'm not looking to throw money away on new tires when the ones I have I like.

mtbr member

Problems dialing in pressure

I'm running EXI's on my MC (I weigh 200#) and have popped the bead off the front wheel on a shanked 2' drop with 30 PSI. On the very same drop with 35 PSI the tire made a loud pop indicating it almost did it again. Right now I'm at 40 front and 45 rear because I don't want to hurt myself but it sure is rough going.
    Banned

IT3

Jan 2006
    I run about 45 in the rear and 35 in the front on my hardtail VanDessel. Anything lower in the rear and it feels like I've got a flat and the bike is very sluggish feeling. Anything less up front and the front end washes out under me in hard turns.
    But I'n an freak of nature at 240lbs of rider weight.. add to that about 30 more pounds for 3 liter in my camebbak, 3 more liters of water strapped to my rear rack, and my M-9 and M-16, a couple of magazines of ammo, and my IBA and Kevlar.... I'm easily pushing upwards of 270 through several inches of soft sand on top of hardpack sand and gravel.

--
    SandSquid
    The _FORMER_ Single Speed Champion of Kuwait.

Members who have read this thread: 0