Making XT triple cranks to single- Mtbr.com
    Another festivus MIRACLE!

Making XT triple cranks to single

So I bought some XT triple cranks and I took off the small and large rings. Now the chainring bolts are too long so I can't tighten the middle ring.

I'm thinking about putting on bashguard to take the place of the big ring so those chainring bolts work.

I'm going to look at some steel bolts too.

What do you guys normally do with converting triple cranks to single?

Thanks!
    "If an illegal alien is an undocumented immigrant, than a drug dealer is an unlicensed pharmicist."

mtbr member
    Most decent shops sell a kit with shorter bolts/nuts so you can run just the middle ring.

err, 27.5+
    Yep, just get a SS or BMX chain ring bolt kit $5-20 depending on maker and material
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Get a single speed chainring

I got a blackspire singlespeed chainring for my 1x9 setup to help avoid dropping the chain. However, you will almost definitely need a chain retention device also. If you run a bashring, you only need to protect the chain from falling off to the inside. I'm not using a bashring, so I just left the front derailleur on and adjusted the limit screws to avoid rubbing as much as possible. With this setup, you don't need a front shifter or front derailleur cable, but its not as clean as some of the things that I have seen people post.

Apr 2007
    if you don't want to spend alot of money, get 4 - 3/8" washers and grind them to fit in place of the big ring.

Members who have read this thread: 0