mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Lynskey Ridgeline 29 2018 insights

I just built a 2018 Lynskey Ridgeline 29er and wanted to share a few bits of information in case it may help someone along the way.

This frame uses a "boost" rear (148mm hub spacing). Despite the common practice to use a 1x drivetrain, I went with a 2x, as it works best for my riding. I struggled with what cranks to use because of the boost spacing, and because I wanted a 38 (or even 40) tooth large chainring up front. It turns out that a non-boost crankset works great. I am running a 38/26 with no problems. It is actually a very neutral chainline, and there is plenty of clearance for the 38 tooth chainring.

So, if anyone is fretting about having to use or buy a boost crankset, on this frame, a non-boost crankset works great.

Secondly, Lynskey specs a low-clamp front derailleur for their top-pull configuration. Well, that is dandy, but in all of my looking, there is no such thing as a Shimano, 11-speed compatible, top pull, low clamp derailleur. I could not figure out any reason a high-clamp would not work, except, maybe, bottle cage mounting issues. The high-clamp XT derailleur works GREAT, and mounts about 1/2" or so below the bottle cage bolt.

I have read this forum for something like 20 years, off and on, and appreciate everyone's contributions.

I hope this information helps someone along the way.

Safe and happy riding to all.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thanks. Iíve been considering this frame for my next build. Any pics?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Dromos123 View Post
    Thanks. Iíve been considering this frame for my next build. Any pics?
    Here you go. Sorry for the slow reply - life's busy.
    The mirror is not as big as it looks. I ride some gravel roads, so it comes in handy.
    I don't know why the picture is sideways. Sorry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lynskey Ridgeline 29 2018 insights-img_0174.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Lynskey Ridgeline 29 2018 insights-img_0171.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KKMC View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0171.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	1213240
    I took delivery of a 2018 Pro this spring. I also went with a double 36/26 and 11-40 Di2 XTLynskey Ridgeline 29 2018 insights-5b80d5db-ce68-4a9e-99cf-9990d1116e81.jpgwhich turns out to be my best bike out of 24 I have bought in my life. An amazing machine that just goes fast from the first stroke. Regardless of what some say, Lynskey builds a great bike at the right price. Safe Travels!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Pedalon - That looks great, I like that finish on the titanium. I run 38/26, which works great. I like 2x for my riding, but it seems a little rare, now, so I am a little surprised to see another new Lynskey with 2x.
    Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Hi KKMC , I'm thinking of it for my new bike, ride experience with titanium ?
    thanks
    Last edited by makor; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by makor View Post
    thanks
    I am no pro rider, but I like the idea of titanium. It is very difficult to say how different it is from my aluminum hardtail because they have different forks and geometry.
    It seems that it is better on washboard-type terrain. The most noticeable difference is when you turn abruptly. If you take your bars and steer side to side, you can feel some springy-ness. It is not noodley, but it demonstrates the different character of titanium vs. aluminum.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by makor View Post
    thanks
    Its still the best of metal frames. Smoother than steel, lighter than aluminum. Very noticeable on the road as well.

mtbr member
    Yes most Ti riders love the ride. It can be amazing when properly designed and built. After one season of riding, I replaced the cassette with an 11-42 replacing the 11-40 and the chain rings to 28/38 from 26/36, all XT. So I got a real close up the the frame for the first time since the bike was new. After washing, what was underneath the grime, I saw the exact same bike I bought last winter. Perfect from the welds to the finish and etching except for two very small scratches on the down tube. In less than one minute, I erased them with a Scotch Pad. First bike I ever owned that still looked freaking brand new after its first season. I owned a new Farley and put a two foot scratch in the first month of riding. So yea, the finish is so durable or can be easily buffed to like new. I had one major crash this past season but I protected the bike with my body by instinct. I almost bought a Procaliber 9.8 last winter but did not buy due to Trekís unwillingness to ship the Project One bike with an uncut steerer tube. I am so pleased I went Lynskey, so very pleased.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Looks like a nice bike. I've had a 2011 Ridgeline since new, and it's never had an issue. I've beat the hell out of it as well. It's no longer my main trail bike though, and now looks like this:

It's a blast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah2000 View Post
    Looks like a nice bike. I've had a 2011 Ridgeline since new, and it's never had an issue. I've beat the hell out of it as well. It's no longer my main trail bike though, and now looks like this:

It's a blast.
    Do you have details on that bike posted anywhere on here? It's way cool and freakishly close to a build I'm working on (down to the bar tape color!).

mtbr member
    Here is my ride.

I love this bike. Tough as nails and smooth as... well, smooth as a hardtail. Perfect for the rough rocky roads winding around the Utah. I had a Maxxis Rekon 2.6 in the back and a Terrene McFly 2.8" up front, but recently swapped them out for Surly Extra Terrestrials in 2.5", because I was doing more mixed road/dirt rides.

But here's the problem, Lynskey discontinued the Ridgeline and now just makes the Pro and a bike they the "Sequel."

https://lynskeyperformance.com/seque...ountain-frame/

The Sequel is a little more slack geometry which is great on the descents, but goes back to 142mm spacing in the rear, and accommodates just 2.3" rear tires.

Lynskey Ridgeline 29 2018 insights-img_1611-copy.jpg

Man just looking at this dusty hardtail just makes me long for warmer days... I encountered exactly zero riders or motor on this 50+ mile wandering ride up to the Skyline Drive road in the Utah mountains...

mtbr member
    So wish I was riding that trail. Very nice Ti.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbotron View Post
    Do you have details on that bike posted anywhere on here? It's way cool and freakishly close to a build I'm working on (down to the bar tape color!).
    Thanks! Here are the details:

Salsa Cromoto Grande fork, 45mm stem, a slightly flared 44cm Ritchey EvoMax WCS bar, 38t chainring (would like a 40, but won't fit with a good chainline), 11-28 6800 Ultegra rear end, Shimano 685/785 hydraulic discs. It turned into a much better, more fun, more comfortable bike than I thought it would. I started out with TRP Spyres, longer stems, etc., and I have slowly been getting it right. The biggest improvement was getting that stubby little stem on there. I went from an 80 to a 60 (pictured) to the 45. The last thing that I want to do is a lighter wheelset (currently has alloy Havens).

The bar tape is Deda Chianti Red, by the way. Good luck with yours! Drop bar 29ers are awesome.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post
    Its still the best of metal frames. Smoother than steel, lighter than aluminum. Very noticeable on the road as well.
    Someone needs to address this inaccuracy. Ti is not lighter than aluminum, or smoother than steel. These are gross over generalizations/exaggerations.

For the purposes of bicycle frames Ti could potentially be made lighter than aluminum but it would be extremely flexible. All things equal Ti will be a little heavier than aluminum frames.

Ride quality between steel and Ti is not absolute. Tubing diameter, quality, butting, shape, etc all plays a roll in how a bike feels. Either material can be used wisely or poorly. Many people have owned multiple versions of both and realize the ride quality is about construction, not material.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Someone needs to address this inaccuracy. Ti is not lighter than aluminum, or smoother than steel. These are gross over generalizations/exaggerations.

For the purposes of bicycle frames Ti could potentially be made lighter than aluminum but it would be extremely flexible. All things equal Ti will be a little heavier than aluminum frames.

Ride quality between steel and Ti is not absolute. Tubing diameter, quality, butting, shape, etc all plays a roll in how a bike feels. Either material can be used wisely or poorly. Many people have owned multiple versions of both and realize the ride quality is about construction, not material.
    I remember the hype that started about it in the early 90s, made it out to be some wonder material, like it will never break, etc. Turns out, they break just as much as anything else. Why? Because 99.9% of stuff doesn't break from reaching the end of it's fatigue life, it breaks because there was a flaw, corrosion pit, poor weld, just bad design where a small tube or junction was not able to take the stress the entire frame was intended for, etc. The other significant reason bikes break is overloads and Ti is no different than aluminum or anything else. Coming back down to earth with the expectations, it's a different material, has some advantages and disadvantages, but is nowhere near the wonder-material that they tried to make everyone think it was years ago.

It's unique, it's cool. I wouldn't ever rule it out as a hardtail frame material.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Agreed, it's a wonderful material when done correctly. As is Steel. (and occasionally aluminum.) Can you tell I'm biased?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.