Lower budget 29'er or Higher budget 26'er????- Mtbr.com
    Short-Change-Hero

Lower budget 29'er or Higher budget 26'er????

So I am in the market for a bike and looking at all the 2011 stuff that is coming out... I am at a loss as to what to go since I was originally sold on a 26'er but after reading the capabilities and information of the 29'ers it is making me want one!!

Anyways, here is the standard info:
    Budget: ~$800 max
    Height: 6'0"
    Inseam: ~31"
    Weight: 190lbs
    Build: Athletic
    Trail type: intermediate (I like in the Lake Tahoe area so I have everything from fireroads, to stuff like Mr. Toads Wild Ride... Will be riding Kings Canyon, Ash Canyon, Flume Trail, Tahoe Rim Trail, Hobart, Mt. Rose, etc. All have everything from double-wide roads to rock garden singletrack)

So with my budget and dealers in my immediate area I have the following to choose from... Giant, Felt, Specialized, Trek, Kona, Marin, GT, Fuji, Rocky Mountain, Raleigh, Redline, Yeti, etc. etc. etc..... What would you pick with what I have and what I plan on doing. There is going to be a lot of climbing for me to do so I will need something that can climb well (believe that means an aggressive geometry frame) and have ridden the Giant, Felt, Raleigh, Trek, and Specialized. I do not like the Trek or Specialized because they just did not seem to fit me. Rode the Giant '11 Talon 29'er 2 and while it was nice, it is butt ugly to me which is a factor. Right now I have been having a toss up between the '11 Felt Q620, '11 Giant Revel 1, '11 Raleigh Talus 5.0.. as those are the ones that I have ridden.

I guess I am at the point where I need an expert to point me in the right direction as I get differing stories from the shops and who I talk to there...

mtbr member

26 or 29er

If you are going to buy a bike that you are going to keep for a while, go with a 29 er and you could always upgrade the components as time goes on after some significant wear.
    I love the GF Cobia however I have heard lots of good things about Specialized, Kona and Haro as well.

Your call my friend but my preference would be a 29er.

This place needs an enema
    You can throw all the money in the world at a 26" bike, but that still won't keep the wheels from falling into 27" holes.

Just sayin'...

MC

Short-Change-Hero
    Ok so just got some information on the new budget 29er from Felt (Nine Sport) and apparently it comes with lower level components and a 8-speed drivetrain. The area that I live in there is a good amount of climbing, will I notice the difference between a 8-speed drivetrain and a 9-speed drivetrain?

Naturally Organic
    2009 GT Peace 9r Multi or 2009 Fuji Tahoe 29 Comp
    Both are NOS (New Old Stock).
    One is rigid the other has front suspension.
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...ompSKU=1077028

Edit: Also, 2009 Jamis Durango 29er
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...r+Bike+09.aspx

Short-Change-Hero
    Only problem is since those are clearance they do not have my size and really I would rather buy from a local shop then on the internet

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Look at RedLine's 29er lineup. I love mine, and would build another one up in a heartbeat. Like someone said, get the 'niner and build it up as stuff wears out.

As for 8sp v 9sp, I'd trade race-level 8 for 9sp mid level.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Get a 29er, period. I had a $5000 Turner 5 Spot and rode a buddies 29er one day. A week later I was on a $2300 Cannondale 29er and sold the Turner on Ebay. Riding one around a parking lot won't give you the eye opening that a day on the trail will. Trust your instincts, read up on the physics and do what you KNOW is right

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by expostdelirium
    Look at RedLine's 29er lineup. I love mine, and would build another one up in a heartbeat. Like someone said, get the 'niner and build it up as stuff wears out.

As for 8sp v 9sp, I'd trade race-level 8 for 9sp mid level.
    Yeah the D600 is nice but I dont have a dealer near me.. Also, re: the 8sp vs. 9sp.. Since these are lower level bikes I really doubt they are "race level".

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Look for a sale price on a 650B would be my advice.

banned
    Raleigh XXIX...I actually found a NOS 2007 model (with the non-suspension corrected geo) last year and freaking love it.

Short-Change-Hero
    Was comparing information regarding the Giant Talon 2 ($700) v. Felt Nine Sport ($599) and found that they are pretty much the exact same parts (SRAM v. Shimano) so looks like I will be going with the Felt. Most everything else is out of my range and from talking to the owner the Felt frames are great build quality and something I can definitely upgrade in the future!!

Naturally Organic
    Not sure if the F9Sport is the same bike as the F9Trail, but the $600 price is the same. Either way (29er), good choice, nice bike, looks great. Enjoy your new ride!

https://blogs.bikemag.com/wp-content...7/dsc00042.jpg

4.1# Frame, definitely upgradeable in the future.

mtbr member
    If you are concerned about budget, look for a higher quality used bike.
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce9er
    Not sure if the F9Sport is the same bike as the F9Trail, but the $600 price is the same. Either way (29er), good choice, nice bike, looks great. Enjoy your new ride!

https://blogs.bikemag.com/wp-content...7/dsc00042.jpg

4.1# Frame, definitely upgradeable in the future.
    Actually looks like it is the same frame just lower components and different color. Here is the Nine Series preview over at Meridian-Cycles...Sport is the very bottom. Just went and talked to my local felt dealer and he has not yet received the dealer catalog but will let me know when he does.
    https://www.meridian-cycles.com/2011_FELT_NINE_SERIES

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash
    Build: Athletic
    26ers are better suited for the muscular types. Eye color may play into the equation as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have the Giant 29er talon 2 '11 its a great bike i upgraded from a old trek 26 its much better i would never go back to a 26.

mtbr member
    I just sold a higher budget carbon 26er to get a heavier, lower budget aluminum 29er.

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    I say borrow a 29r and take it for a good ride. Not around the block, but on your trails.

Most 29r owners would be happy to convert you - just ask around.
    2013 Giant XTC Advanced SL0 Carbon
    2011 TCR Advanced SL
    2012 Omnium
    2013 29CX Frankenbike

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Just throwing it out there I got a windsor 29er pro for 700 shipped. Mainly for the components as I plan to upgrade to a fs frame in the future but for the parts on it I thought it was a great buy. But I would also look into used high end too for some reason they all popped up after i bought the bike lol. good luck

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...cliff29pro.htm

mtbr member

I would go used also...

Between Ebay and the classifieds here you will find a great deal if your patient. I don't live in the mountains so I don't have to climb the heights you will
    But shifting wise I would take an equal quality 8spd over 9spd anyday. Especially in wet or muddy conditions. However it shifts better all the time.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

gravity fighter
    For the climbing your going to face, I would go 9 speed. You will have much better low gearing options.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I just picked up a RockHopper 29er and I'm very happy with it. I went from a 26 scott to this bike and it's awesome. I loved my Scott but this bike has given me so much more confidence. Good luck in your hunt.

ss= 800 lb. gorilla
    Jan 2009
    i have had my motobecane outcast for almost 3 years now. its the cheapest, most useless, lowest ended bike i can ever imagine, but its the best freaking, most unbelieveably fun bike i ever rode!!!! its all about the 29er, u just cannot beat em, and i cant imagine how mjuch better a high ended one would be. i will break down someday and get a karate monkey, maybe a jabberwocky, whatever......RIDE ON!!!!

Short-Change-Hero
    Ok so now I am debating. My brother has offered to let me borrow his backup bike for the remainder of the season ('08 rocky mountain element 5.0). I am thinking I might use the opportunity to save up some extra money and build my own. I am in to DIY everything so this would be cool for me. I have started looking st some of the frames on eBay and the Motobecane Fantom 29er seems pretty good.

Opinions?
    Also is there places that sell kits like Henson USA for like drivetrains and other parts??

Members who have read this thread: 0