mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Low & slack 29ers

What are the benefits/advantages of a low & slack 29ers over 'regular' 29ers?

Thx Mo

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    lower weight distribution, slower steering and longer front centre if everything else is equal to a steeper ha bike. Personally i do not really see that a very low bike is advantageous as long as you have to pedal to the top on technical trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    As I understand it, if you have a lot of fast flow trails the modern geometry should improve handling for this type of riding - it always looks like fun in the videos. For slower riding, or for trails that require pedaling through rock gardens (especially when climbing), the lower bottom bracket means more pedal strikes and the longer wheelbase generally equates to a longer turning radius. The slacker head tube angle can also make holding lines on climbs more challenging, although the steeper seat tube angles that are cropping up are supposed to offset this.

As with everything, there are compromises. Figuring out what works for you on your local trails is part of the fun!

mtbr member
    If you're talking about enduro bikes, the advantage is racing enduro. The geometry makes sense if you've ridden steep DH lift access trails. A lot of enduro races take place at DH parks where a DH bike is the ideal bike and you don't even need to pedal...unless you're racing enduro and they make you climb to the next stage. These bikes kinda suck on regular singletrack. And if someone has only ridden on normal/XC trails then I can see why they don't see the point in these bikes.

There are some bikes that are longish and slackish that aren't enduro bikes. My Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead is a hardtail with a 65į HTA. But that's not the same as having a 65į HTA on a FS bike due to the hardtail HTA steepening at ride height. The Pedalhead also has really short chainstays which keeps it maneuverable. That combined with a steepish STA means it climbs better than my old hardtail with more 'traditional' xc/trail geo.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    For me it's been better in every way except maybe slow speed, super tight cornered crap that I would avoid anyway. On normally tight and twisty it's not a hinderance. On any trail that is even mildly fun it been better for me, and when the going gets rough, fast, cornery (with corners), or steep, wow. My two new LLS bikes are the best climbing bikes I've ever been on, smooth or tech. I do not find my BBs too low, some bikes probably are.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    The far end of newer geometry makes a lot of sense if you ride rough and steep trails a lot. The bikes are like cheating in this stuff. On regular singletrack they are fun as well, but the difference is not as apparent. For technical climbing they are monsters if you can get past the low BB's. My personal opinion is take something like the SJ Evo and raise the BB by 15 mm and it would change everything.

My current preferred setup is a 65ish HA, 76ish SA, 345ish BB and 470ish reach.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    is the tread about progressive geometry bikes, or about low and slack bikes?

jcd's best friend
    I tell you what. My Transition Sentinel doesnít feel like a 29er. I was amazed how well it climbed and it just ripped down the trails. I thought Transition was crazy to build a bike with a 64 degree HTA, 160mm fork, and 140mm of rear travel...but it works so well together!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPaulus View Post
    is the tread about progressive geometry bikes, or about low and slack bikes?
    Sort of curious: if you add in steeper seat tube angles with more reach to low and slack, isnít that basically progressive geometry? Not sure what the difference is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakyWheel73 View Post
    Sort of curious: if you add in steeper seat tube angles with more reach to low and slack, isnít that basically progressive geometry? Not sure what the difference is.
    Pretty much. you can of course talk about rear centre and stack height also.

i like rocks
    two seasons on my "low n slack" enduro 29er, and i'm in love with it. a total revolution in my ridding. before owning this machine, I had a DH bike for resorts and shuttling, and an XC bike for going out on a "trailride". Nowadays, its one bike for everything and every ride is better. Especially when you get into that grey area where a ride may require a lot of pedaling and climbing, but you can also expect more than a fair bit of gnar on the downhill. (like Moab or squamish for example).

With the low bottom bracket, I've adjusted to a life where you have to be conscious of pedal strikes, and I've gone to 165mm cranks, but that's all good now.
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD