Love My X-Cal - Help me upgrade it- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Love My X-Cal - Help me upgrade it

My new Fisher X-Caliber is the best bike I have ever owned. Could not find an XL Paragon so I bought the X-Cal with the intent of upgrading as things broke, etc. I weigh 200 lbs and ride XC - nothing crazy.

I am running the tires/wheels tubeless and like them so far.

I swapped out the grips for Ergons.

I do not like the Avid Juicy threes. I want something easier to adjust. What do you all suggest?

I really want a seatpost with more setback so I can place my saddle in the middle of the rails and not slam it all the way back - Suggestions for a more than normal setback seatpost suitable for a small Clyde? A saddle with longer rails may help as well but I do not mind the stock saddle so far.

I am thinking I can swap out the stem and bars when i come across a sale or something.

Anything else?

Thanks.

David K in Indy

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have had a nightmare time with brakes. I have had juicy 3's, juicy 7's and xtr and i had problems with all 3!!!

I picked up a pair of formula k-24's and they are awesome.
    There is a shop on ebay out of loveland colorado that sells take off's for $199 for the pair and will sell you rotors for around $40.

If you are a clyde just watch mtbr and get a thomson layback and once you figure out your stem get a used thomson on mtbr as well.

Ride, Sleep, Work
    I would go with Hayes brakes for there stopping power. I used Hayes for three years and did not have many problems until a local shop bled them and then I had nothing but problems. Turned out they put the wrong olive in and air was seeping in. I really like them and they had super power and modulation. i now ride XTR 960 calipers with XT levers and like the feel and that they use mineral oil not DOT4.

Thomson setback post for strength.
    Click to save 15% off your 1st Hammer nutrition order
    http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/50110

WNC Native
    I pulled the Shimano Hydros off my 08 Xcal and went with Speed Dial 7 levers, Jagwire Ripcords, & BB7s. Every disc bike I own has BB7s on it, so I may be a little bias.

I also swapped out the junk stock headset for a Cane Creek ZS6 (ZS110 if you want Bling). Swapped the stock seatpost & saddle for a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST and a WTB Race Rocket V. Last change was some handbuilt XT/DT Comp/ Salsa Semi wheels to stiffen it up a little.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450
    If you are a clyde just watch mtbr and get a thomson layback and once you figure out your stem get a used thomson on mtbr as well.

I have the same bike (same size) and have been looking around a seatpost with more setback.

I know everybody loves Thomsons (and I'd love to have one too) but the setback post is only 16 mm of setback. I think the stock post has as much or more setback

The one I found with the most is the american classic with the hooked top

(this one)

I think it has close to an inch

I don't know anythig about it (strength durability etc.)

Members who have read this thread: 0