Los Angeles Hookup?- Mtbr.com
    Brakes?

Los Angeles Hookup?

I'm going to be in Southern CA twice on biz this month.

Once next week for a couple of days, and several days during the last week of the month.

Any possibilities for rides with anyone. I know there's some Orange County Folks here. I'll be in Paramount, and Huntington Beach areas, but I'm not afraid to brave the traffic for some saddle time.

Would be looking for a bike rental/loaner, but I'll bring my own gear. Riding during the week, either evenings(have lights) or maybe during the day if I can fit it in.

Email me or reply here if you're interested.

donjoian at s b c global dot net

Jan 2004
    I posted the same request a couple of weeks ago with no response. I took my bike with me on business last week and stayed in the LA area.

I searched for options and decided to ride the San Juan (Capistrano) Trail to the top. Luckily, I met a couple of great guys up there and they let me ride the upper loop with them and then back down the mountain. A beautiful 18 mile jaunt. 3000+ feet of climbing.

The next day they took me out to Whiting Ranch. We zipped through the lower area near Portola and up a pretty good hill to a crossroads with a message board / bench. Then, we descended down a trail past a water tower / tank to a highway of sorts (Santiago Canyon?), rode down a bit, crossed it and went up a steep-ass road to another trail. From there we rode up and up and up to Old Camp, ate some food and bombed back down the trail the way we came and took a longer detour through Whiting Ranch. 22+ miles, 3000+ feet of climbing.

The next Friday, the temperature dropped by 30+ degrees, but I decided to climb up San Juan again by myself. It was cold up top and I was only wearing lycra shorts and a jersey. I didn't bring any cold weather gear with me... It's SoCal, afterall. It was still a great ride and the food at the end tasted better than usual.

Saturday was another cold one, but we decided to brave a good ride. We went out to Trabuco and started our ride from the entrance parking lot near the road. We warmed up by riding up the 4 miles of dirt road to the Holy Jim trailhead. Even though it was only 50 degrees, we were pretty hot by the time we hit the trailhead. As we started to climb Holy Jim, we could feel the elevation gain as the temperature started dropping. About 1/2 way up, we put arm warmers on. When we reached the main divide, the clouds had rolled in and the wind was whipping up the mountain face. 40 degrees F. We stopped to pull on some warmer clothes, to eat a snack and continued our climb up the Main Divide. For most of our ride along the Divide, my watch was reading 37 deg. F (20-24 with Windchill). We finally reached Trabuco and began our descent back to warmth. The views up top and the descent back down made everything worthwhile. What a great ride. I think we had the most fun ripping back down the dirt road, past the cabins and cars. Bunny hopping the mud puddles and water crossings. Luckily, there's a little mexican joint about 500 feet from the Trabuco road entrance. 26 miles, 4600 feet of climbing.

The riding in Orange County is amazing and it's no wonder so many people live there. I've already put in my formal request to relocate my company office from DC to LA ...

Hopefully you can find someone to ride with. If not, shoot me an email and I can at least tell you how to get to these trails. They're all very memorable rides. There were other trails that I wanted to hit up as well, but work seems to take precedence over riding... doh!

- Jeremy -

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Maybe try calling ThePath Bike Shop, and see if they have any demo bikes when you are in town. They also do great group rides on Sunday. 714.669.0784 They are about 20 to 25 min drive from HB (Huntington Beach).
    Last edited by Oliver; 02-20-2006 at 06:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Paramount? That's where I grew up. They have cleaned it up for the most part, but my old neighborhood is still pretty rough. Stay away from the "San" streets.

Traffic is not that bad here, if you know when to venture out.

Check out the South Bay Mountain Biking Club, see if they have any scheduled group rides.
    http://sbmbc.com/

Brakes?

paramount

I'm not staying in paramount, but thanks for the website HC.

That's a great resource. Now I just need to find a bike, which I'm sure I can handle.

Steamroller

Bike thoughts

I would try calling The Path to see about a demo bike, I'm not sure if they have them or not. Jax does have a demo fleet at least a few MTBs in each of the 5 OC stores. I think they charge about $40-50 per day but will apply it to purchase of a bike. In your case you'd have to consider it a rental. There is a good chance they even have a Fisher 29r you could demo.

Hopefully someone else will chime in and offer to show you some trails, I'm nursing an arm injury so probably won't ride an MTB for a few weeks. A road ride would be a possibility.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Members who have read this thread: 0