Looking at a Vassago Jabberwocky- Mtbr.com
    offroader
    Dec 2008

Looking at a Vassago Jabberwocky

What kind of bolt does the frame require for the rear? Can I use a QR hub or does it need to be SS specific through axel like the Chris King SS hub?

mtbr member
    I think they now come with Jabbernuts to tension the wheel. With a good QR like Salsa or Shimano XT you don't need a bolt on rear wheel.

The Hutch
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava View Post
    What kind of bolt does the frame require for the rear? Can I use a QR hub or does it need to be SS specific through axel like the Chris King SS hub?
    You can use a QR rear Axle if you want. I used a QR Before I built up a set of SS specific wheels w/ a bolt on rear axle.
    follow me
    on FB @hutchsbicyclegarage
    on instagram @hutchsbicyclegarage
    and @robbhutch
    on twitter
    @RobertEHutch

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Great thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. It looks the the Jabber is my next frame.

jct
    mtbr member
    ditto on the XT rear QR. No problems ever.

Apr 2007
    I never had problems with XT QR and used the integrated tensioners. Taking off the wheel was a but time consuming, as I had to use an Allen wrench to loosen the tensioners. Jabbernuts solves that though.

But I sold the frame. Never liked the boat-like handling and poor climbing.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    PNunt how did you like it compared to your monocog?

Apr 2007
    I liked the Monocog's frame geo waaaay better. I was constantly having rear wheel slip issues with the Jabber. On the same climbs I was clearing on the Monocog. (same tires - Geax Sag). Handling felt more nimble on the Monocog as well. Got tired of it so it was sold. Try to see if you can test ride one (maybe someone in your area has one). The "Wet Cat" geo is a bunch o crock, IMO.

I recently bought a Canfield Nimble 9. I HIGHLY recommend this frame. Short chain stays are fun.

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    I liked the Monocog's frame geo waaaay better. I was constantly having rear wheel slip issues with the Jabber. On the same climbs I was clearing on the Monocog. (same tires - Geax Sag). Handling felt more nimble on the Monocog as well. Got tired of it so it was sold. Try to see if you can test ride one (maybe someone in your area has one). The "Wet Cat" geo is a bunch o crock, IMO.

I recently bought a Canfield Nimble 9. I HIGHLY recommend this frame. Short chain stays are fun.

if you're tall/clyde, long chain stays can be more beneficial...just sayin...

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    Yeah, it's all subjective anyway. Some guys on here love their Vassago's. It works for them. Just didn't work for me. (I'm about 5'11", fwiw).

I always bleed like this.
    Yeah, it's all subjective anyway. Some guys on here love their Vassago's. It works for them. Just didn't work for me. (I'm about 5'11", fwiw).
    I am 6' and I would classify the jab as neutral. Compared to something like an Inbred, where the Inbred is aggressive but not as stable the Jab is less aggressive but very stable.

I would agree with a test ride. I like my Jab a lot but my next frame will be different. As an example, after a couple hours on my Inbred I would find myself having to adjust my driving on the way home because I was under steering my car because the Inbred was so aggressive.

After a couple hours on the Jab, the ride home was no different than any other drive. I drive an Integra too, which is a decently sporty ride.

Best way I can explain it.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Interesting stuff. Thanks for the input. I'm 5'11'' I currently ride a Monocog Flight which has been great. I'm just looking for something different (or the same) depending on what's out there.

I may just stick with the Monocog Flight and change some parts around since I've got two of them. :P

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava View Post
    Interesting stuff. Thanks for the input. I'm 5'11'' I currently ride a Monocog Flight which has been great. I'm just looking for something different (or the same) depending on what's out there.

I may just stick with the Monocog Flight and change some parts around since I've got two of them. :P
    I think Vassago is right in your neck of the woods, so you should pay them a visit to see if they have any demo's.

PoorBehavior - maybe I'm the only one, but I don't get the connection between driving a car and a bike. All I know is I had to start the turn in about 3 miles in advance with the Jabber. Side note: I do have love for the Integras. Miss my R every day.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    6'2" here.... love my Jabber (20")... have a 20" bandersnatch too that is actually my main bike. Rear hub on the Jabber is a Hope Pro II evo bolt on. Haven't had any issues with the wheel moving. I do use jabbernutz to position the wheel/tighten the chain.

I wouldn't classify either frame as "nimble", but it works for me and the trails I ride on.

I always bleed like this.
    I think Vassago is right in your neck of the woods, so you should pay them a visit to see if they have any demo's.

PoorBehavior - maybe I'm the only one, but I don't get the connection between driving a car and a bike. All I know is I had to start the turn in about 3 miles in advance with the Jabber. Side note: I do have love for the Integras. Miss my R every day.
    Truth be told, I really did not expect anyone to get it. After my rides I used to think I was just fatigued and that I was understeering because of that. I would be driving home and find myself almost driving off the road in turns because I was naturally understeering my car. It took a while for me to realize that I had adjusted to the "turns when I think about it" steering of the Inbred and that when I got in my car after riding, I was instinctively expecting the car to turn the same. So much of the bike geo and feel is just that, feel. The understeering thing is the only tangible example that I can point to that was directly related to bike geo.

The Jab is super stable, but I would not call her snappy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yeah, but if you're tall, the extra wheelbase can be a significant hindrance too. I'll take the shorter wheelbase any day of the week. So far, the short stays haven't hurt my feelings at all.

6'5" on a bike with 16.7" cs.

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBadWagon View Post
    Yeah, but if you're tall, the extra wheelbase can be a significant hindrance too. I'll take the shorter wheelbase any day of the week. So far, the short stays haven't hurt my feelings at all.

6'5" on a bike with 16.7" cs.
    what frame?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    what frame?
    XL Yelli Screamy

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBadWagon View Post
    XL Yelli Screamy
    apples to oranges IMO.

that's more of a AM HT to me...especially since it's designed to take 120mm up front if wanted.

while i don't doubt it's a fine ride, there's a reason why the jabber is very popular with endurance and marathon crowd.

for myself, my normal weekly ride has super tight twistys but also wide open singletrack. i'm still fockin' huge at 6'4", 220# and whatever i ride will still make the tight twistys feel tight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    apples to oranges IMO.

that's more of a AM HT to me...especially since it's designed to take 120mm up front if wanted.

while i don't doubt it's a fine ride, there's a reason why the jabber is very popular with endurance and marathon crowd.

for myself, my normal weekly ride has super tight twistys but also wide open singletrack. i'm still fockin' huge at 6'4", 220# and whatever i ride will still make the tight twistys feel tight.
    It's a hardtail 29er. You can ride either one for XC if that's what gets your jollies off, and in my case, having a bike with a long enough TT, yet still being shorter overall definitely gets my jollies off.

I'm well aware of the Jabber's positives... after all, I did buy one and ride it quite a lot. I'm not telling the dude to buy a Canfield. I'm just saying that after riding a dozen or so 29er hardtails, the Vassago didn't rock my socks off for a few reasons.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So much personal preference. I happen to like the Jabber geo, as it's VERY similar to the SuperFly 100 that I ride as my race bike. The Jabber is going to make a sweet SS training bike for me.

Some people really like the short chainstays though. I've had some people ride the SF and hate it, and some fall in love and buy one

As far as the hub, I actually have an SS hub on mine and am wishing for a regular QR one, so I could easily switch to gears. Right now I'd have to buy another wheel.

-Tom

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    So much personal preference. I happen to like the Jabber geo, as it's VERY similar to the SuperFly 100 that I ride as my race bike. The Jabber is going to make a sweet SS training bike for me.

Some people really like the short chainstays though. I've had some people ride the SF and hate it, and some fall in love and buy one

As far as the hub, I actually have an SS hub on mine and am wishing for a regular QR one, so I could easily switch to gears. Right now I'd have to buy another wheel.

-Tom
    The steel singlespeed is very similar to a carbon full suspension?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Meant to say "geometry and handling wise"

-Tom

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    Meant to say "geometry and handling wise"

-Tom
    Lol. Look again.

Maybe it "feels" similar, but it's not terribly similar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You mean "look again at the geometry"? The numbers are pretty much damn dead on the same, and it fells very similar as well.

-Tom

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Youre right, I thought the 100 was more similar to the superfly ht, which is shorter cs, slacker ht, etc. it looks like the sf100 is similar with exception of bb height and tt length in every size except L.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yessir. I posted about that a few months ago when I bought my Jabber. The different in the TT length is the G2 geometry, but the bikes have the same wheelbase. I'm specifically talking about size M as that's what I was comparing.

The SF hardtail is more of a "lively" bike then the SF 100, with the SF 100 being a sort of "long haul trucker" that is a nice limo to ride on for 100 mile races. Climbs great with the longer chainstays, and descends well and stable with the slack HT and longer wheelbase, but isn't very "flickable" although it still turns ok. A car comparison, it more carves through "road course corners" rather then a "flickable autocross" type car. Maybe a BMW 3 series compared to a Mini Cooper

That's exactly what I wanted (in both my endurance racing training bike, as well as my actual endurance racing bike), as I have a 26" long travel bike for when I want to flick and play.