mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Looking at Tallboy or jet 9

I am looking to replace my 2017 Fuel ex9. I am looking for something a little more snappy.

I found a great deal on a left over jet 9 RDO xt build. However, the Tallboy C with GX build would set me back about $1k more as I cannot find a left over (size medium) I have owned a 2014 rip9 before, so I know altille about how the jet will ride. Can someone comment as to how the Tallboy compares? The closest dealer for both is about 2 hours away.

What are the thoughts on these two bikes vs the fuel?

It seems there is not much talk about the Newest Jet9
    Last edited by stygz1; 12-12-2017 at 07:06 AM.

mtbr member
    I demoíd both with the intention of liking the TB better, but the Jet was the clear choice for me. Not only did it ride nicer, it fit a whole lot better. Steeper seat tube, slacker HTA, more rear travel, and higher stack.
    I ended up building one and still love it to this day.

mtbr member
    Niner just filed for bankruptcy as a financial maneuver in selling the company. IDK what bearing that might have on your choice.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Niner just filed for bankruptcy as a financial maneuver in selling the company. IDK what bearing that might have on your choice.
    I saw that. It is concerning. It seems their reason was to somehow help with picking up investors/selling. Similar to SC did a few years back?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    I saw that. It is concerning. It seems their reason was to somehow help with picking up investors/selling. Similar to SC did a few years back?
    Niner's need for a cash infusion through restructuring is unnerving...
    I love my old Niner Jet 9 RDO, and sorta glad my frame warranty ran it's course without claim, but don't know if I could by another Niner right now...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I bought a 2018 Jet9 in sept. I wanted a bike I could use for both trail and endurance races. The Jet9, Pivot 429 trail and Ibis Ripley were all in my list.

I was a Niner fan boy. And honestly I fell in love with the matte black Jet color.

I went 27.5 plus. With the intent to go 29 carbon later to race. I want too happy with it when I first got it and went straight to Moab. Way toomany pedal stikes.

I recently changed the fork 140mm. 2017 27.5 Bikeís came with a 140mm fork and in 2018 they went to 130mm.

The bike rides so much better at 140mm. When I go to 29 wheels Iíll prob drop back to 130mm up front

Having said all that. There is no way Iíd buy Niner again. Even with out the finicial problems. After following several recent posts of warranty drama. Iím done with them.

Iíd look hard at 429t or Ripley

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It is disheartening hearing about that warranty issue.

At this point I have decided on a Tallboy. I found a couple 2017 left overs. One is a 29er with a 2x XT build. Other is a plus with XO1. Never been on a plus bike. I am contemplating converting the 2x or selling the plus wheels for some 29s.
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy CC

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I went plus too just cause I wanted to try it. Not a big fan. Now with 2.6 29er tires I donít see the need to have both 27.5 plus wheel set and a 29 wheel set

So Iíll prob sell my plus wheel set too. Easier and cheaper to switch out tires then have two full wheel sets

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just ordered the Santa Cruz Tallboy CC 27.5+ in the XO build. Should be here in s week.
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy CC

mtbr member
    Congrats stygz1!

Has anyone considering the RKT and TB3 thrown a Spark into the mix for consideration?

Recovering Weight Weenie
    1700 miles on my Tallboy. It's quite a phenomenal all-arounder.Looking at Tallboy or jet 9-ulrgarhes1exrludvsjxcg.jpg

mtbr member
    Kicking this thread back to life, almost a year later. I'm similarly not super-stoked with my 2016 Trek Fuel EX 9.8. Looking for a slacker HTA and a stiffer suspension feel. The Fuel EX is, to someone who's ridden hardtails for many years, too plush and "wallowy", especially in tight technical sections. I'm looking for a bike that is more responsive and fun for mostly east coast XC, including the potential occasional 100 miler, but capable enough for backcountry trail riding so I don't get beat to shit.

I recently test rode a Niner Jet RDO and friggin' loved it. The slacker HTA (67 vs. 68.8) and tighter suspension just felt so much more "right" to me on the trail. I rode a size Large, which is what I rode when I had a SIR. I'm 6'2", 200#.

Two weeks later I tested a Santa Cruz Tallboy. I definitely dug it. 68 deg HTA is a little slacker than the FEX. Not sure if I liked it as much as the Jet, though. Tough to say. Hoping to hear other peoples experiences. Maintenance/reliability/warranty/etc. are definitely factors.

Scratched the Pivot 429 Trail off my list b/c I dont' want super-boost. Ibis Ripley seems a bit small based on geometry numbers. Open to other suggestions.

Thanks!