looking for someting bigger than 18T for SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

looking for someting bigger than 18T for SS

I bought a Shimano DX 18T from my LBS and it works great but in the post holiday glow I am looking for a 19T or 20T. Any suggestions?

Jul 2004

many bigger options

try white industries they have a range up to a 23 both in ti and steel they are a bit pricey but the last forever and they are sealed bearings. www.whiteind.com lynette is great she can help you.
    cupcake29er

I am the owl
    I suspect he is looking for a cog instead of a freewheel. If that's the case, I believe King goes to 20 but they are hard to get. Surly is supposed to go that big but I don't think they are available yet. Boone will make you one, a bit pricey though since they are Ti.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Fixed and single.

20T's

ACS makes one! 10 bucks if you look around.

paintbucket
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Jan 2004
    I am about to try out these guys, ViaVelo for some of their individual cogs - they're damn cheap and Al, so who knows how they'll go, but at that price it's worth a try.

These are the cogs

And they do some pretty cool looking chain guards as well, might pick one up at the same time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

thank you note

As always, the board delivers. I am looking for a cog and will be checking out the helpful tips. Ti would be nice but too much for my wallet. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

NIce Ripoff Guards

Those chainring guards are complete QBP/Salsa ripoffs from a few years ago, as well as, the Rockring. I guess everything old is new again, or, why design it yourself when you can just rip it off. I would be weary of the Aluminum Chainrings, as they tend to wear quickly, The novatec is pretty good. Why not go to a smaller front chainring?

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JMKM
    Those chainring guards are complete QBP/Salsa ripoffs from a few years ago, as well as, the Rockring
    You are the feisty one aren't you JMKM? Perhaps they're a rip-off of a circular saw blade rather than a Rockring guard? I very much doubt it's a patented design, and anyway, what does it matter? Have not heard that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

Quote Originally Posted by JMKM
    I would be weary (sic) of the Aluminum Chainrings (sic)
    Well I am aware aluminium cogs can wear quickly which is why I mentioned it in my post.
    What I'm getting quite weary of is your attitude...

Sam

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by green mt. boy
    I bought a Shimano DX 18T from my LBS and it works great but in the post holiday glow I am looking for a 19T or 20T. Any suggestions?
    Yep, Novatec. Bikeman.com has 20t (no 19t) for about 5 bucks. I believe the new Surly cogs will be available in 19t when (if) they finally become available.