Looking for a list of modern geometry rigs 140r/150f min travel- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    306

    Looking for a list of modern geometry rigs 140r/150f min travel

    Looking for some help finding some less mainstream rigs. I'd say 140-155 rear travel, 150-160 front, reach 470+, short offset fork only, bb height 340 min, steep seat tube 75+ degree, head tube 65-66'ish degree, prefer threaded bb but won't die over this. Would prefer DW link or VPP but still open to a well designed horst link. No single pivot. So far, my list is small. Ripmo, new Hightower, SB150 (too much bike). Also prefer a Fox 36 or Lyric, DPX2, Shimano brakes and GX drivetrain. Thanks for any help you could provide!
    Last edited by sfr4dr; 07-26-2019 at 07:56 AM.
    2020 Ripmo AF

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,092
    We'll get right on that!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,661
    You are fortunate, there are many bikes in that category, now you just need to pick one.

    I'd head over to Backcountry in Truckee and try on some bikes for size, they have Yeti, Pivot, Transition, and Kona.

    I'm partial to Guerilla Gravity.

    If you need specifics, I'd start with manufacturer website, they generally provide stats and builds.

    You can also peruse the numerous threads on MTBR that ask the same question as yours

    Good luck!
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

  4. #4
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7,293
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    We'll get right on that!
    Lol
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,387
    Evil Offering


    But of the bikes you mentioned I just bought a Ripmo.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    We'll get right on that!
    Sorry about that. I was in a rush but did mean to say thanks for any help you could provide!
    2020 Ripmo AF

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    You are fortunate, there are many bikes in that category, now you just need to pick one.

    I'd head over to Backcountry in Truckee and try on some bikes for size, they have Yeti, Pivot, Transition, and Kona.

    I'm partial to Guerilla Gravity.

    If you need specifics, I'd start with manufacturer website, they generally provide stats and builds.

    You can also peruse the numerous threads on MTBR that ask the same question as yours

    Good luck!
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have been to all the shops up here a bunch of times and demo'd an enduro, stumpy, instinct BC, ripmo, bronson, and tracer. The Bronson was my favorite ride but doesn't fit my goal of a 29er, long reach with short offset fork. The new hightower, ripmo, and yetis do have that geometry. Just looking for some others but they're hard to find. I'll check out GG. The ripmo was good but the Bronson felt so much better to me. More supple and planted. Just need a 29er Bronson and the 2020 Hightower just might be it. They just aren't easily available yet. Bummer!
    2020 Ripmo AF

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Evil Offering


    But of the bikes you mentioned I just bought a Ripmo.
    Thanks! I'll look into the Evil a bit more. I have a place to demo one too. I demo'd the Ripmo and did love it but hoping for something a bit more plush in the rear. For overall one-bike solution, I could see how a lot of people like the Ripmo though.
    2020 Ripmo AF

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4dr View Post
    Looking for some help finding some less mainstream rigs. I'd say 140-155 rear travel, 150-160 front, reach 470+, short offset fork only, bb height 340 min, steep seat tube 75+ degree, head tube 65-66'ish degree, prefer threaded bb but won't die over this. Would prefer DW link or VPP but still open to a well designed horst link. No single pivot. So far, my list is small. Ripmo, new Hightower, SB150 (too much bike). Also prefer a Fox 36 or Lyric, DPX2, Shimano brakes and GX drivetrain. Thanks for any help you could provide!
    Could you be more specific?

  10. #10
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,737
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4dr View Post
    Thanks! I'll look into the Evil a bit more. I have a place to demo one too. I demo'd the Ripmo and did love it but hoping for something a bit more plush in the rear. For overall one-bike solution, I could see how a lot of people like the Ripmo though.
    The Offering doesn't fit in your requirements, 51mm offset fork and only a single pivot (Delta is prolly the best suspension design I have ever ridden)

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,387
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4dr View Post
    Thanks! I'll look into the Evil a bit more. I have a place to demo one too. I demo'd the Ripmo and did love it but hoping for something a bit more plush in the rear. For overall one-bike solution, I could see how a lot of people like the Ripmo though.
    I don't consider the Ripmo to be a one bike solution. But this coming from a rider with SS HT and Specialized Epic that I consider "Plush". For me a 1 bike solution would be Ripley. The Rimpo is my big gnar bike as it simply can't climb like my SS HT or my Epic, but it really can't be expected to. I bought the Ripmo to complement the other bikes and rider bigger terrain, but not climb so poorly that it frustrates me. Now the bike could be one bike solution as it handles very well even in tight flat twisty stuff. It just climbing low to mid grade smoother climbs where you can tell it does not accelerate like my Epic does. On really steep climbs where traction is a premium the bike just claws is way up with no front end wander or rear tire slip. Of course on moderate DH chunk I have work the Epic to be fast moving and picking lines. On the Ripmo while it can pick lines it often easier to fly right through and not worry about it. Again this not because I have to, but because I can as the bike is so stable through that stuff.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartyinWI View Post
    Could you be more specific?
    Sure. Can't have a teal bike. Haha!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,387
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4dr View Post
    Sure. Can't have a teal bike. Haha!
    I happen to really like color of my Ripmo. My other bikes are black matte, white or gray and the Ripmo just pops.

    I did not want another black matte bike. But I do know guys who will only buy black bikes.

    Looking for a list of modern geometry rigs 140r/150f min travel-73bdf7fe-19a8-4ed7-8492-637cf3667824.jpg
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    306
    I agree, that Ripmo color is sweet in person. I actually passed on 2 bikes because of the super matte colors, 27.5 Process and Bronson. They look cool at first but then hammered after 3 months of heavy use!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velorangutan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    303
    Ibis RIpmo
    Devinci Troy. 150mm fork option gives the steeper seat angle everyone seems to be after.
    2020 Orbea Occam. You can make it any color you want. https://www.orbea.com/us-en/myo/step-1/occam-m-ltd/


  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4dr View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have been to all the shops up here a bunch of times and demo'd an enduro, stumpy, instinct BC, ripmo, bronson, and tracer. The Bronson was my favorite ride but doesn't fit my goal of a 29er, long reach with short offset fork.
    Why do you have a goal that is based on bike stats rather than your own feelings when riding? You rode multiple bikes that fit the numbers you are chasing (including the Ripmo, which is probably currently the reference bike of the category) and liked a different bike better. Why chase a goal that's about anything other than what it feels like when riding?

  17. #17
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,737
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Why do you have a goal that is based on bike stats rather than your own feelings when riding? You rode multiple bikes that fit the numbers you are chasing (including the Ripmo, which is probably currently the reference bike of the category) and liked a different bike better. Why chase a goal that's about anything other than what it feels like when riding?
    Well said.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Why do you have a goal that is based on bike stats rather than your own feelings when riding? You rode multiple bikes that fit the numbers you are chasing (including the Ripmo, which is probably currently the reference bike of the category) and liked a different bike better. Why chase a goal that's about anything other than what it feels like when riding?
    I liked the long reach and steering feel of the latest geo (Ripmo) but the ride of the Bronson. The 2020 Hightower should combine the latest geo with the Bronson ride. I'm just curious if there's others like this since the Hightower alloy is what I'm after and it's not available yet.
    2020 Ripmo AF

  19. #19
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,580
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4dr View Post
    I liked the long reach and steering feel of the latest geo (Ripmo) but the ride of the Bronson. The 2020 Hightower should combine the latest geo with the Bronson ride. I'm just curious if there's others like this since the Hightower alloy is what I'm after and it's not available yet.
    I doubt there will be an alloy hightower. Probably just the carbon C and CC. I don't think SC has done alloy frames for a while now. At least, I couldn't find any alloy models when I was looking at their bikes last year.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    593
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I doubt there will be an alloy hightower. Probably just the carbon C and CC. I don't think SC has done alloy frames for a while now. At least, I couldn't find any alloy models when I was looking at their bikes last year.
    The 2020 Hightower offers 3 models in aluminum .

Similar Threads

  1. Vanilla 140R - Replacing Dust wiper & Foam Seal
    By huka in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-07-2011, 08:43 AM
  2. Changing the travel on Vanilla 140R?
    By andor in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-20-2008, 04:23 PM
  3. Frankenfork Update......08 Fox Float 140R
    By wrtaylo in forum Turner
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-16-2007, 03:12 AM
  4. best 30 min. "spin" workout? 45 min? 1 hour? (xpost)
    By capt pearl in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-28-2004, 02:14 PM
  5. best 30 min. "spin" workout? 45 min? 1 hour? (xpost)
    By capt pearl in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-27-2004, 01:56 PM

Members who have read this thread: 113

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.