Looking for first full suspension MTB, can't find reviews on the Stumpjumper ST Alloy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Looking for first full suspension MTB, can't find reviews on the Stumpjumper ST Alloy

I'm looking to get back into mountain biking after a 20 year break and I'd like to get a full suspension bike that is good for most of the trails around Denver. I want to get something that can climb well but also get me out of trouble when I'm going downhill faster than my skills are ready for. My budget is 2k (according to my wife) but I might be willing to go as high as 4k if I really feel like I'm going to be disappointed with spending 2k.

Along those lines I've looked at Yeti SB4.5, Ibis Ripley, YT Jeffsy, Santa Cruz Tallboy and the 2019 Stumpjumper LT and ST. The ST Alloy is the only one that is around the 2k mark, but I'm not sure I'd be giving too much up. Has anyone looked/rode the "cheap" ST and can provide feedback on it? Any other feedback greatly appreciated as well.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=253566-154985

Thank you!!

mtbr member
    So many 120/130mm trail bikes out there these days. All/most really good bikes so, hard to go wrong. Components (fork, drive train ect..) they comes with makes a difference though.

I just built out a Niner Jet 9 RDO and it's great bike for everything up and down.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/n...ke?ti=OjoxOjM6

mtbr member
    If your budget could be up to 4K, look hard at the Transition Smuggler (alloy, GX spec). Or the Scout, if you want 27.5.

The Smuggler fits your criteria of climbing well and getting you out of trouble when you're going DH faster than your skills can keep up!

You're looking at lots of good choices and, in the end, it all comes down to what bike feels best to you in your price range. They're all good bikes at this level.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If you can go up to $4k then get a broader list. No need to spend the entire budget but there is a lot more out there between$2-4k.

Consider taking a look at Bike Magazine Bible of Bike review videos 2017,2018, to give you an idea of what is available. Find on YouTube.

Try to demo a few bikes that you like.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I would certainly put Canyon on the list.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Take a look at Marin in that price range and up and down, also.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    I would certainly put Canyon on the list.
    Agreed. Also Whyte:
    https://www.whyteusa.bike/products/t-130-s-18

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    The ST is heavy.. about 32-24 lbs for a large. I bought an Instinct.. climbs well, descends well.. lots of fun. And only 29 lbs.

mtbr member
    I highly recommend if you’re in Denver, I am also, you should check out Commencal.
    They just opened a warehouse in golden and in my opinion have the best deals on bikes hands down. They are online only but you can go down and talk to Clay to check out the bikes. We just picked up my girlfriends meta am race for$3500 and has a better spec than most $5000 bikes at shops. She loves it and says the pedals as good as her stumpjumper but goes downhill much better. Honestly, the $3000 Meta needs nothing to get you up to current speed with current biking geometry and Componentry. They have all mountain and trail models of the Meta as well.
    Also if you’re in the front range and plan on riding trails like Apex, falcon, Lookout Mountain, and white ranch I would also recommend looking at an enduro style bike. A very slight uphill penalty (if any) is well worth what these bike is capable of when going down hill these days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm just getting back into things and kinda in the same situation. Was going to get the Tallboy Aluminum D spec that's around $2300 (10% off now if you talk to them) but wanted a slightly better fork, a dropper, and the 12 speed drivetrain was nice on the Tallboy I demoed last week. I ended up ordering the Ripley LS closeout frame from CompetitiveCyclist and built it up pretty well for under $3500. They have a handful of different frames 30-45% off and can put a full bike together for a decent price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    can't advise you enough to seek out some demo's you're going to be blown away by how capable bikes are these days but will take a bit of time to get used to

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thank you all for the replies. Every time I think I've looked into every bike, there are new suggestions

I'm considering the demo event out in Crested Butte in a couple of weeks, looks like a ton of manufacturers will be out there, so good chance to demo a ton of bikes.

I'm pretty set on a 29er, but I appreciate the advice about finding one with more travel. I demoed a Tallboy out at Alderfer / Three Sisters a while back, and wasn't that impressed by the Tallboy. I really like the idea of the Ripmo, but not the $$

Thanks again!

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah like everyone has said, the mid to short travel 29er full suspension market is chalk full of bikes now days. Since you are in the Denver area I would also look up your local builder Guerrilla Gravity. Local, USA built company that has great customer service, representation here on the forums and offers some pretty sick bikes for not a whole lot of money. They have an offering for you in both styles; shorter travel being the Trail Pistol, and longer travel being the Smash.