Long. Steep. Climbs.- Mtbr.com
    Cold. Blue. Steel.

Long. Steep. Climbs.

Hey guys and gals.

I am mere inches away from getting on a 29" SS (The Rig, more than likely) but I have one lingering concern: long, steep climbs.

I have read how well 29ers maintain momentum and roll over obstacles with ease- very important elements in happy singlespeeding. But, I live in Asheville, NC where the mountainbiking is very "real" and you are rarely not climbing or descending serious mountain terrain. Of course, this is a blessing and one of the major reasons why I love living here. But I digress; for the last few weeks, every time I ride, I am thinking "what would this be like on a 29" SS?" And the only concern I have is the weight of the larger wheels and the ability to keep them turning up steep climbs that can last for 2-3 miles or more.

I currently ride with a 32 x 18 setup with 180mm cranks on my converted 26" SS. I run WTB Mutanoraptors (nice and fat at 2.4") and I am 6' and 160lbs. I climb well, and I want a 29" SS to be my primary bike (taking over where my current 26" SS claims the #1 spot in my 6 bike stable); I will also race XC and 24 hour/enduraces events on it.

Whew- Okay, I am done. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your advice!
    Spinning and Grinning...

jl
    climb
    What ever terrain you're riding on your 26SS 32x18, you be able to ride the same terrain plus more on a 29SS 32x20, you'll really like descending vs the 26er...
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I noted the difference ONLY at super slow climbing speeds and ONLY for the first 2 rides. From then on, pure bliss.
    Oh yeah, figuring out that I needed to chance my gearing 2 teeth bigger in the back helped a bunch too.
    FWIW, once you get pedaling up hill..those 9er wheels just wanna keep going!

giddy up!
    32x20. don't look back!

I would look into a karate monkey though. The wait on the rig is getting ridiculous, especially when you could be riding a monkey tomorrow!

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Cold. Blue. Steel.

Sweet!

i knew i could count on you guys to put my mind at ease. i am planning on going with a 32 x 20 setup based on my current 32 x 18 gear on the ol' 26er.

correct me if i am wrong, Donkey, but i have been reading that you can't get anything from Surly right now, esp. the KM... like they have sold out of their current stock of frames or something.
    my local Fisher dealer is still expecting 2 Rigs, and no one has claimed them yet. i will check back with them to see what they are hearing from Fisher. of course, the LBS that sponsors me (and is NOT a Fisher dealer, lol) is a Moots dealer... if i could somehow figure out a way to do a RigorMootis 29er... hmmm... which bank to rob??!

can't wait to get that momentum into action, Padre! thanks.
    Spinning and Grinning...

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGearGuy
    i knew i could count on you guys to put my mind at ease. i am planning on going with a 32 x 20 setup based on my current 32 x 18 gear on the ol' 26er.

correct me if i am wrong, Donkey, but i have been reading that you can't get anything from Surly right now, esp. the KM... like they have sold out of their current stock of frames or something.
    my local Fisher dealer is still expecting 2 Rigs, and no one has claimed them yet. i will check back with them to see what they are hearing from Fisher. of course, the LBS that sponsors me (and is NOT a Fisher dealer, lol) is a Moots dealer... if i could somehow figure out a way to do a RigorMootis 29er... hmmm... which bank to rob??!

can't wait to get that momentum into action, Padre! thanks.
    It looks like there are 30 something 16 inch frames, 20 or soo 22 inch frames and 2 18s. All black. I'd say if you want an 18 you should act quick.

The rig is gonna be a while, I say go for the monkey and be done with it! Then, in a year or soo when the rigs are available, you can get one of those and sell the monkey!

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

The Duuude, man...
    if i could somehow figure out a way to do a RigorMootis 29er... hmmm... which bank to rob??!
    the BIG one....
    FS: Everything

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    It looks like there are 30 something 16 inch frames, 20 or soo 22 inch frames and 2 18s. All black. I'd say if you want an 18 you should act quick.

The rig is gonna be a while, I say go for the monkey and be done with it! Then, in a year or soo when the rigs are available, you can get one of those and sell the monkey!

B
    Just curious, why do youlike the KM over the Rig? Is it just the expected wait (now estimated to arrive early next month) or something else?

Derailleurless
    I've been on my 29"er hardtail for two years, concurrently splitting duties on 26" full suspension. I still have a bit of trouble separating the facts from the BS, the reality from the hype, and a bike's particular geometry from the wheel size.

Regardless of whether "the wheels made me do it" or otherwise, I love climbing on the 29"er, where my typical rides in the San Francisco Bay area net me 2500' to 3000' vertical feet.

My rear wheel holds traction better, my front end stays planted, and it's all-around a better experience for extended efforts.

I'm afraid I won't really begin to grasp the truth, however, until I have a 4" travel 29"er to compare against. But I'm confident a duallie 29"er is in my mid- to long-range future.

Cold. Blue. Steel.

my fears are slipping away...

thanks for all the great feedback.
    i would really love to try to get a ride in on a 29er; or ideally, 2 rides so that i can maybe get an honest feel for it. i don't know any locals who are on the big wheels, so i may ask the LBS if they have a 29" Fisher (i don't care if it is geared) that i can demo. 'cause if i like it, then i will be throwing my hard, cold cash their way for one of the 2 Rigs coming in.
    as soon as i can get my leg over one i will report back with my experience. i have a feeling there will be "grin" written all over it!
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rig Versus KM

I am feeling your pain. I talked to the Fisher dealer on Monday and he told me the Rig should be there in February, maybe early February. I also have been thinking about the KM. I would need 1 of those 18's in a KM, so maybe I need to decide soon.

Cloxxi's idea to buy a rig and transfer the parts to a KM makes sense to me. I am pretty sure that in the end, I am going to want a steel bike. I know that I am going to want disc brakes. I know the KM is a great riding bike, but I am afraid that I will want something lighter. The Rig does make sense from a parts swap point of view. I also figured that getting the Rig would put me on a complete 29er with a decent suspension and I could try that and go from there.

Ebay bike part auctions starting soon. I am having trouble resisting the 29er (SS for me).
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr
    I am having trouble resisting the 29er
    As a wise entity once said: Resistance is futile.
    FS: Everything

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I am having trouble resisting the 29er (SS for me).
    I am too, James, and I think living with your parents into your thirties is highly underrated. If I skip a mortgage payment, I can have a nice ti frame and some bits. Maybe ma and pa will take me back for a month?
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Just curious, why do youlike the KM over the Rig? Is it just the expected wait (now estimated to arrive early next month) or something else?
    I guess I have a hard time getting too excited about a bike that was been "arriving next month" since september!

I'll get excited when they start shipping them. I'll probably buy one if I can find a buyer for the Reba!

I guess I'd rather see people on a bike they can enjoy now, rather than waiting for a bike that "may" be available sometime soon.

That and I think steel is a better material for an all around bike than aluminum.

Oh, and I have owned 3 karate monkeys:-)

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I agree

I will talk to my wife tonight about that idea. Her folks have a lot of room not being used . . . . . . . . ..

You have an even bigger problem than I do. I fear making the move to 29 because it will make my nice steel SS frames obsolete. You have that sweet Ti bike and that is even harder to give up. At least yours has resale value if you decide to go that route.

I just need to convince myself that the move will be the right way to go and not look back. My thoughts on the Karate Monkey is that will be a great way to try 29er and I could build it up with parts that I already have (including a 29er wheel as a V brake bike).

But I am riding disc brakes now, I started using a suspension fork and those choices complicate things and make it more expensive. I am sure I will also want a lighter frame down the road, probably a Walkworks. So do I buy the Monkey now and build a v brake bike or just stay put with the 26 stuff for now or buy a Waltworks now or buy a Rig now or ??? . . . . . . . .

You know what Ricky? I think we just need to stay away from this board until Spring breaks and we will be ok.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    I guess I have a hard time getting too excited about a bike that was been "arriving next month" since september!

I'll get excited when they start shipping them. I'll probably buy one if I can find a buyer for the Reba!

I guess I'd rather see people on a bike they can enjoy now, rather than waiting for a bike that "may" be available sometime soon.

That and I think steel is a better material for an all around bike than aluminum.

Oh, and I have owned 3 karate monkeys:-)

B
    I think it's funny that Rig has had so much hype that it has become one of those bikes that "everyone and his brother has one" even though no one has one yet.

Cold. Blue. Steel.

LBS said...

that they are still expecting 2 Rigs, either by the end of Jan or beginning of Feb.
    when i swing by there tomorrow, i will see if they can call Fisher while i am present. they have a geared 29er that they are building up right now so i can test it. wrong size at 17.5", but they sold the 19" and i am grateful to swing a leg over anything close right now.

as for the KM, i have one big issue and one little issue with that frameset; it is a horizonal dropout design, and that is a big pain when using discs. i am a disc-only man these days- no looking back now. the Rig is an EBB frameset.
    the secondary problem is with the weight. hang on a second before you call me a weight weenie- i love steel and would prefer it over aluminum, but the reason weight is important to me is for flickability and handling, especially on long climbs and descents. and remember, i am a diesel and often do 5 hour rides and race solo and duo 12/24 hour races. a little weight may not matter much in the first hour, but it really adds up by the time night falls...

i should be test riding the geared Fisher tomorrow (thursday). more after my test!
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fisher

My dealer also has a Fisher demo in a 17.5. I am going there tonight to ask them if I can take it home for the weekend. It has gears and I have no ideas how they work but at least I can get my leg over a 29er.

I did ride a Spot SS 29er for a short bit a few weeks ago and it felt sweet. It is one size too big, but it told me that is the direction I need to go in for the next bike.

Darn you guys, getting me all excited about a 29er . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

More on the Spot and weight

The Spot I rode weighs in at like 20 lbs, V brake, fully rigid, and no real lightweight parts to speak of. I definately understand your desire for a steel bike, but you can get there with a steel frame. I also remember seeing a Waltworks that was around 20 lbs with a similiar parts spec.

Am I off topic or what???

Cold. Blue. Steel.

Off topic? No way!

The Spot I rode weighs in at like 20 lbs, V brake, fully rigid, and no real lightweight parts to speak of. I definately understand your desire for a steel bike, but you can get there with a steel frame. I also remember seeing a Waltworks that was around 20 lbs with a similiar parts spec.

Am I off topic or what???
    i don't think you are off topic at all- in fact, that is one of my favorite parts of the boards. the way threads grow and continue to feed our minds. i totally know that i could get there on a steel frame- but that would incur a bigger hit from my already thin wallet. but i don't want to wait (or should that be "weight" ) any longer to live in the land of 29ers! and the Rig is such a cost effective way to jump right in. then, as Cloxxki and others have mentioned many a time, i can swap the parts right over to something super sweet like a Waltworks. i could even sell the Reba and go with one of Walts forks as well. then i will be "steeling" my way around the trails. can i get a "Hallelujah" in the house?!
    Spinning and Grinning...

NedwannaB

Halle.....lujah??......

Great!!!.....got all caught up surfin this thread now I'M fuss'n for one of these things. I was also stroll'n thru the GF site looking @ the Rigs earlier. Wonder how outta proportion a 15" unit would look to fit my scrawny little arSSe, all tyres with a few short alloy tubes tying it all together. Hhmmmmm, as long as it rolled good........

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    Great!!!.....got all caught up surfin this thread now I'M fuss'n for one of these things. I was also stroll'n thru the GF site looking @ the Rigs earlier. Wonder how outta proportion a 15" unit would look to fit my scrawny little arSSe, all tyres with a few short alloy tubes tying it all together. Hhmmmmm, as long as it rolled good........
    I think this X-Caliber pic is of a 15" frame. To me the proportions look great. Can't say about your scrawny arSSe though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cold. Blue. Steel.

my philosophy...

you could subscribe to this philosophy: "how does the bike look from behind? good? okay, that is all that matters since you won't be seeing it from any other angle!"
    lol!
    BTW- the pic that Nat attached looks awesome!
    Spinning and Grinning...

NedwannaB

I guess what I ment.....

you could subscribe to this philosophy: "how does the bike look from behind? good? okay, that is all that matters since you won't be seeing it from any other angle!"
    lol!
    BTW- the pic that Nat attached looks awesome!
    ......was that me being @ 5' 6", the bike might ride ME! Heh.....just thinking of standover hieght too, Then again I shouldn't be worrying about my ar$$e, but the family jewels!!

And to Nat, they're's nothin wrong with my ar$$e! badah bing!

highly visible
    ......was that me being @ 5' 6", the bike might ride ME! Heh.....just thinking of standover hieght too, Then again I shouldn't be worrying about my ar$$e, but the family jewels!!

And to Nat, they're's nothin wrong with my ar$$e! badah bing!
    As long as the length works for you, the Fisher should fit you just fine. I'm 5'7", with slightly longish legs and short torso for my height. Currently riding a 16" Karate Monkey, and also test rode a 15.5" Fisher 29"er the other day. Standover is not an issue for me on the KM, and on the Fisher it's even better -- I pretty much had to ride it with the seapost at maximum extension. Length (23.2" effective top tube) will be the only issue for riders in our height range.

Cold. Blue. Steel.

Raining...

well, thanks to our crazy weather, my test ride is postponed- but that may be good, esp if my LBS lets me take the bike over the weekend...

by the way, as far as a KM frameset goes; what size should i get for my 6' height and 33" inseam? i am fairly well proportioned with longish arms...
    it seems like a 19" would be right, but of course my choices are 18" or 20".

glad to see all the exitement on this board! we can all celebrate our new bikes together.
    Spinning and Grinning...

NedwannaB

Thanks for the tip GB!

Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    As long as the length works for you, the Fisher should fit you just fine. I'm 5'7", with slightly longish legs and short torso for my height. Currently riding a 16" Karate Monkey, and also test rode a 15.5" Fisher 29"er the other day. Standover is not an issue for me on the KM, and on the Fisher it's even better -- I pretty much had to ride it with the seapost at maximum extension. Length (23.2" effective top tube) will be the only issue for riders in our height range.

Been stuck in my cue-bacle all morning & haven't got to sneak out for a lunch break @ the lbs.

BTW, it's great being vertically challanged....we don't hit as hard after jumping.

jl
    climb
    by the way, as far as a KM frameset goes; what size should i get for my 6' height and 33" inseam?
    Talk to Carl Mega, he sounds like your sizing twin + 1"

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=71968
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

Cold. Blue. Steel.

Great minds...

Quote Originally Posted by jl
    Talk to Carl Mega, he sounds like your sizing twin + 1"

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=71968
    we are thinking alike- i had visited his thread yesterday and asked him that very question. he just responded, and it looks like the 20" is gonna' be the ticket if i go with the KM over the Rig. at this point, i may not have a choice since the Rig has been nothing more than "vapor-ware" so far...
    Spinning and Grinning...

Cold. Blue. Steel.

another question!

how difficult is it to remove/reset the rear wheel in a KM when using Avid mechanical disc brakes? i have been wary of horizontal drops with non sliding disc tabs because you need to remove or at least loosen the caliper to get the wheel out. this is about the most conflicting action/idea when it comes to SS... everything i love about SS is the simplicity- and the idea of having to loosen your brake caliper for a simple wheel removal kills me. who has this setup?
    Spinning and Grinning...

Harmonius Wrench

It's not too bad

I've got thiat set-up on my KM ss, and yes, you do have to get the caliper loosened to remove the rear wheel. But, I have to get my 6mm allen out to get the Paul Word Disc hub off anway, so grabbing a 5mm while I'm at it is no biggie! I see your point; however, and if your planning on using a QR, I really see your point. Myself, being a big guy and all, well I've got a chain tug on one side as well, so I've got a lot going on back there anyway.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Cold. Blue. Steel.

thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    I've got thiat set-up on my KM ss, and yes, you do have to get the caliper loosened to remove the rear wheel. But, I have to get my 6mm allen out to get the Paul Word Disc hub off anway, so grabbing a 5mm while I'm at it is no biggie! I see your point; however, and if your planning on using a QR, I really see your point. Myself, being a big guy and all, well I've got a chain tug on one side as well, so I've got a lot going on back there anyway.
    darn- i also want to be able to go with a quick release...
    i love having a quick release and vertical dropouts on my converted 26" SS. in fact, i would rather have my Convert and easy wheel removal and no brake alignment issues than a horizontal dropout SS frame at this point. i suppose that's the beauty of the sliding drops or EBB...
    Spinning and Grinning...

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Now I live

Now I live pretty close to you, and would never want anything less than 1:1 gearing at the low end, because long climbs would be impossible with anything less.
    This puts a SS out of the question I quess.
    Riding too small on the flats your killing your prostate I found. Can you see why I don,t like SS?
    Now a 3 speed might just do it.

Cold. Blue. Steel.

Flats??

Quote Originally Posted by mvi
    Now I live pretty close to you, and would never want anything less than 1:1 gearing at the low end, because long climbs would be impossible with anything less.
    This puts a SS out of the question I quess.
    Riding too small on the flats your killing your prostate I found. Can you see why I don,t like SS?
    Now a 3 speed might just do it.
    No, I don't see why you don't like SS. Actually, it sounds like you haven't really ridden SS at all. Fontana is a great trail, but it's not riding in Pisgah- I will tell you that much. I will be racing there at the Icycle in Feb. on a SS (again).
    Plus, what "flats" are you talking about in W. North Carolina??
    Spinning and Grinning...

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Trails

I dont need to ride 34/18 SS to know it is impossible to ride that up the ridges. I,m riding logging roads and such west of A,ville.
    If I didnt have to ride to the trailhead I could get away with something close to 1/1.
    One day your knees will be greatfull for using legspeed instead of cartilage grinding mashing power.
    Hope you do well in Fontana.

Master of the Obvious

I do , I do !

how difficult is it to remove/reset the rear wheel in a KM when using Avid mechanical disc brakes? i have been wary of horizontal drops with non sliding disc tabs because you need to remove or at least loosen the caliper to get the wheel out. this is about the most conflicting action/idea when it comes to SS... everything i love about SS is the simplicity- and the idea of having to loosen your brake caliper for a simple wheel removal kills me. who has this setup?
    I run Avid Mech's on my KM and I bet it add's 3-5 seconds taking the wheel off and putting it back on the time jumps to an amazing 5-8 seconds, wow I am a slave to that disc mount....
    I personally don't want a frame with an EBB, I tend to ride in a ton af muck and have you every seen how much crap gets stuck to the underside of a BB?
    I know at the end of a season I play Hell changing out new cleats, I can only imagine how F#@k'd up those EBB bolts would get, after all I enjoy this SS thing too, for the simplicity.
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

Master of the Obvious
    I dont need to ride 34/18 SS to know it is impossible to ride that up the ridges. I,m riding logging roads and such west of A,ville.
    If I didnt have to ride to the trailhead I could get away with something close to 1/1.
    One day your knees will be greatfull for using legspeed instead of cartilage grinding mashing power.
    Hope you do well in Fontana.

I guess I would'nt Like SSing either If they always passed me up on long climbs.
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

Cold. Blue. Steel.

what he said...

Quote Originally Posted by Angus
    I guess I would'nt Like SSing either If they always passed me up on long climbs.
    that's exactly what i was thinking. if you haven't ridden a SS, don't "guess" what it "must" be like. you can ask my buddies how i deal with all the climbing we do around here.

check this out; at the 24 hours of Pisgah in October, my friend's team won the 5 person co-ed class with 4 racers (one female) who all rode SS. and two of them were riding full rigid- he was on a 29er and she on a 26" bike. no gears, one person down, and won their class. food for your "guessing" thoughts.
    Spinning and Grinning...

Fixed and single.

The "Rig" over a Karate Monkey

The "Rig" is a good deal I guess but keep in mind it's still an aluminum hardtail. I would suggest the Monkey.

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Excuse me,

I have been riding SS bikes for 25 years to school and work on the flats(not here). There have been times I had to push the bike because of the wind instead of the climb.
    Again, if you want to ride Western NC else than the beaten trails you got to get some gearing. I never saw a SS on the logging roads even where we ride. IMHO

that's exactly what i was thinking. if you haven't ridden a SS, don't "guess" what it "must" be like. you can ask my buddies how i deal with all the climbing we do around here

check this out; at the 24 hours of Pisgah in October, my friend's team won the 5 person co-ed class with 4 racers (one female) who all rode SS. and two of them were riding full rigid- he was on a 29er and she on a 26" bike. no gears, one person down, and won their class. food for your "guessing" thoughts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    WTF- you calling my parts Fat ? What's up with that ? the spot is probably just a little over 21, the km fork is not the lightest thing in the world, but with any luck I'll be switching that up to a walts fork soon...

Cold. Blue. Steel.

don't hijack this thread!

I have been riding SS bikes for 25 years to school and work on the flats(not here). There have been times I had to push the bike because of the wind instead of the climb.
    Again, if you want to ride Western NC else than the beaten trails you got to get some gearing. I never saw a SS on the logging roads even where we ride. IMHO
    This is getting Weird. You don't seem to be on the same page as the rest of us; maybe because this "page" is called the "singlespeed" forum.

The real reason for this thread is this:
    I had a 30 minute cruise through a little bit of single track and paved path yesterday on a Fisher Montare 29er. I was in sneakers on a 17.5" frame (and I need a 19"), but the effects could be felt. Maybe because i was on a too-small bike it didn't feel "big" as i was expecting. The crazy part is that they had it set up with 700x42 Mythos slicks and the bike still rolled over roots and down some dirt/wood steps with aplomb. I am sold. The deal is sealed...
    Now I just need to sell my '92 Cannondale track bike and my Klein full susser...
    Spinning and Grinning...

Cold. Blue. Steel.

It's official!

Thanks to all of the wonderful threads and awesome responses to my queries, I am officially joining the 29er family.
    My order is in with Walt, and he is very busy right now; about a 3 month wait. Go Walt!!
    But it will be worth the wait, no doubt.
    My first custom frame/fork ever, and I have been at this for 20 years now.

So thanks again to you all. Oh, yeah- if you want to throw some component spec. ideas my way, feel free. I am still deciding on some things, and selling off some things, so the build period will be used constructively.

Spinning and Grinning...

zeebot
    Thanks to all of the wonderful threads and awesome responses to my queries, I am officially joining the 29er family.
    My order is in with Walt, and he is very busy right now; about a 3 month wait. Go Walt!!
    But it will be worth the wait, no doubt.
    My first custom frame/fork ever, and I have been at this for 20 years now.

So thanks again to you all. Oh, yeah- if you want to throw some component spec. ideas my way, feel free. I am still deciding on some things, and selling off some things, so the build period will be used constructively.

I'm working on joining the 29er crowd as well. can't wait. I'm just waiting for a few parts to come in...

here're all the parts i'm using if it helps any...i did a ton of research on this board and also am using experience from what i like/don't like. i'll just note the more specific 29er stuff and notable parts that aren't the norm

Voodoo dambala frame
    walt works fork copying the karate monkey fork
    jeff jones h-bar - new to me, just got 'em yesterday...they look very nice!
    velocity dyad rims with king iso disc rear and american classic disc lite up front. alloy nipples, double butted spokes.
    maxxis ignitor tires

I couldn't find much feedback on the maxxis tires but decided to take the risk and see how they are. tires are cheap so will just try something else if they don't make the cut.