long legs and short torso- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

long legs and short torso

Hello,

I am thinking about a 29er and wondering if you folks have any suggestions for a frame that will fit a person with a long inseam and shorter torso? I have heard the cannondale flash bikes fit on the smaller side in terms of reach? Is this true? Im 5'11" with a 34-35" inseam.

Thanks in advance!

Professional Crastinator
    By the time you read all the potentially silly answers you get here, you'd get a faster answer if you walked to a bus stop, took the bus to the bike shop, and test rode all their bikes. You are the only person who can really answer your question because you need a starting point. From there you can figure out if you really need a longer top tube or a longer seat post, or whatever...
    I think VooDoos are pretty short, but you might want to check the frame geometry charts.

Good luck,
    -F

never ender
    I'm built the same way and wound up on a Vassago...I'm 6'4", which is on the tall side for their large frame, but with a 90mm stem and a zero-setback post just short of maxed out, the bike fits me just fine and feels much better than some XL frames I've ridden.

One thing I've found to be true of all bikes, not just 29ers, is to figure out your size based on reach and not frame height. Meaning that if you have to get a 17" frame and max out the post you might be better off than if you put a really short stem on a 19". Ride a few bikes if you have the chance, and try to pick one that feels good for your upper body.

Cannondales in particular can be hard to set up for a leggy rider because there are limited options for Lefty stems, so if you're trying to go for saddle and bar height without a lot of reach it can get tough. It's not impossible, though. Newer Trek/Fisher bikes tend to run a little shorter in the top tube than older ones, at least from what I've seen, so that may be a good option. Raleigh bikes also tend to have taller seat tubes relative to top tube length than most brands.

Anyway, this is the 29er board...silly answers only.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hello Folks,

Thanks for the advice. I tested the stumpy and cannondale flash on the street at the bike store. Its a bit hard tell after a few minutes of riding. Also, the cannondale stuff seems to be out of stock all over the place so I have not been able to do a side by side with a 17" and 19".

Most of the bike stores I visited think I should go large (19" seat tube with a 24-24.5" ETT). I could swap a shorter stem to make it bit more comfy.

Whats the general consensus for going with a longer TT and shorter stem versus shorter TT and longer stem. I gues this will be bike design/geometry sensitive.

I am starting to think I ay just have to go for something and if it dosent feel good, sell it at a loss later...

mtbr member
    6' with 33"-34" insame en went to a large flash ... Médium TT was to short ;-)

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by akustik

Whats the general consensus for going with a longer TT and shorter stem versus shorter TT and longer stem. I gues this will be bike design/geometry sensitive.

I am starting to think I ay just have to go for something and if it dosent feel good, sell it at a loss later...
    Longer stem = slower steering

This is neither good nor bad (unless it's the opposite of what you want), and it's not night and day either, and it's not the only thing that affects the steering. It is pretty subtle and probably more pronounced at either very low or very high speeds. If you are not sure what you want, then you will either like the feel of it right out of the box by pure good luck or you will adapt.

Try to enjoy the process of discovery. There are lots of options. Weigh them out, then decide. Buying the wrong bike is a bummer, but trying out bikes is fun!

-F

XC Rider
    6'-2.5" 36 inseam. XL.

You should fit a L or 19' just fine.
    If You Don't Ride You'll Rust!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm 6' with a 36" inseam....the L fit me on the short ride I did on it...although, I might put a little shorter stem on it if it was mine.

mtbr member
    I'm kind of in the same boat. Seat tube/head tube on most 18" frames is too short, and top tube on 20" frames is too long. Don't know if you're looking for a dually, but I tried a L Tallboy (~19"), and it fit me just right. Santa Cruz is also coming out with a pretty sexy carbon HT if you want to go that route.

Uncle
    "M" & "L" are different for each company, and the TT lengths change by brand, so the ST length ("19") number won't help too much either, except that it will help you figure out how much seat post you'll need to have sticking out of the frame.

A local rider and I both have similar proportions to you: 34" inseam, right at 6' tall. For a lot of companies, it seems that we're 'tweeners. On the upside, stand over height rarely matters, and we're never struggling to get the bar height down (flipping stems, etc). On the downside, some frames will require lots of seat post extension. Both of us have found that 29ers with ETTs that are just under 24" (23.7" to be exact) work best for us.

But don't take my word for it. Find a service-oriented bike shop that will let you get their bikes on to the trail, and go ride. Compare the stem lengths on each that you ride, and have them swap out different lengths for you. A good bike shop will do what it takes to find the best bike for you. When you get dialed in, buy it.

Edit: Reread your OP, and saw that you were looking for frame recommendations. My friend rides a new M Salsa El Mariachi (23.6" ETT / 90mm stem). I'm currently riding an old Zion 737 (23.7" ETT / 100mm stem), with nearly identical measurements. I've been scoping out other options lately, and the Redline MC Flite in a 19", and Trek 17.5" frames are also in the ball park.
    Last edited by Entrenador; 04-20-2011 at 10:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    CW is to get the good fit on the TT, not the ST.

ButyYou're going to have a really hard time finding a production frame with those measurements.

I'd look at a custom frame like Gunnar or Waltworks.

Stem length can really impact the ride, but it depends on the geometry. When I was looking for a frame, it seemed Niner contemplated the use of shorter stems.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm very similar too and definitely find myself a bit between sizes. Previous bikes have been a M fs 26" with 587mm ett and 445mm st with 105 mm stem, an 18" unit with 593 ett, 457 st and 105 stem. The 26er barely requires a 400mm post and feels a bit too small. The unit works pretty well, it comes in 16,18,19,20 and 22" sizes.

I'm now looking at getting a yelli screamy and the med has a very short 418 st and 603 ett, large is 457 st and a long 622 ett. I figure the yelli should work well with a short stem and a 70mm will get me right in the range of the other bikes

Old-newbie
    Just another data point: I am 5'11" and change, with a 35" inseam. I am very comfortable on a large Niner, Specialized, or Giant frame. An XL feels great until the trails get twisty, and a medium is quite uncomfortable.

imho a long stem is a very poor band-aid for a frame that does not fit.
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

Members who have read this thread: 1