like white on rice...i mean white on blue...(Specialized 29er content)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

like white on rice...i mean white on blue...(Specialized 29er content)

2011 Specialized Hardrock Disc 29er
    2011 Rockshox Reba RL
    2011 Easton EA70 wheelset
    Sette Edge 100mm stem
    Wellgo MG1 Magnesium pedals
    Selle Italia Flite Genuine Gel Saddle
    Ergo GA1 Grips
    Sigma BC1009 Computer
    2011 Mud on wheels from Palos ride yesterday

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Not a lot of people like that color combo, but the way you upgraded really tones it down and makes it look sharp. I would ditch the blue cables and put this on it

Go Magic

Loser
    Mar 2008
    I would do black cables. Looks good though.

mtbr member
    Nice bike, looks pretty decent, how's it ride? Bit curious on the sizing, what size is that? Ask because looks quite small, yet the stem looks quite long in relation, looks like maybe it's a size too small for you unless you have a short inseam and had to watch standover.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

bike tester
    in before you get grilled for routing that front brake on the outside of the fork leg.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Not a lot of people like that color combo, but the way you upgraded really tones it down and makes it look sharp. I would ditch the blue cables and put this on it

Go Magic
    Haha I will consider turning this into an Orlando Magic mobile billboard while i wear a Dwight Howard jersey...

I would do black cables. Looks good though.
    I havent thought about doing black cables until now, but I think it would look really good. Good call on that.

Nice bike, looks pretty decent, how's it ride? Bit curious on the sizing, what size is that? Ask because looks quite small, yet the stem looks quite long in relation, looks like maybe it's a size too small for you unless you have a short inseam and had to watch standover.
    Its a 19 inch frame which is a little big for me (im 5"9) but you noticed correctly that the stem is quite long (100mm). I have a 60mm stem coming next week that im matching with a 30mm high rise handlebar. Should help out the over all geometry I think for overall comfortableness (is that even a word? I dunno lol ) But to answer your question it rides really nice, supple front suspension and smooth shifting and its not too heavy so it a joy to ride actually.

in before you get grilled for routing that front brake on the outside of the fork leg.
    Didnt even really notice that, makes more sense in the inside forsure. Thanks for the tip!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I love it. Check out www.gettorq.com and see why!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pininfarina599 View Post

Didnt even really notice that, makes more sense in the inside forsure. Thanks for the tip!
    Also run the computer cable down the front brake cable. The way you have it run is asking to rip it, and looks terrible. Other then that, nice looking bike.

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I love it. Check out www.gettorq.com and see why!
    What's with the SPAM Sir/Maddam?
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    What brakes are those? Look like white Avid mechanical levers but cant tell the calipers.

Bike looks sharp with the exception of the previously mentioned build errors. More show than go, but if that's what you're looking for, its good you're happy.

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    What brakes are those? Look like white Avid mechanical levers but cant tell the calipers.

Bike looks sharp with the exception of the previously mentioned build errors. More show than go, but if that's what you're looking for, its good you're happy.
    Tektro Mech Disks Per Spec's Spec sheet
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I dig that color...beats the drab matte greys of my Paragon...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I like the combo!

mtbr member
    OooOooOoo!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Love the color combo (but I am partial as my bike is also blue and white). Like other said I would re-route the front brake line and computer wire. I like the blue wire too. (mine are white but with the black on your frame it looks good). Did you buy it with the color combo or did you piece it together?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^-------I bought the bike new earlier this year and the entire bike was that blue color with black accented graphics and white calipers. I added the white wheels, pedals, grips, seat, fork and stem.

The Duuude, man...
    Good looking bike actually.

Reroute and trim your cables, get the reflectors off, then you'll be trail-cred ready..
    FS: Everything

The Duuude, man...
    Well, and ditch those pedals of course.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^^^^-----Thanks for the input, but i already took the refectors off the pedals and wheels...i think your probably talking about my LED rear light. Need that for night riding...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Heh....I just bought the exact same bike (minus your upgrades of course) off of eBay this morning. Although blue is not my personal favorite, I like things that stand out a bit. I get tired of seeing all black, gray, etc. Nothing wrong with a bit of color at all.

You bike looks great!

mtbr member
    Looking good

I really dig the white rims.

I just picked up my first Specialized as well. Epic Comp 29er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Doughnut Spaghetti View Post
    Looking good

I really dig the white rims.

I just picked up my first Specialized as well. Epic Comp 29er.
    Show off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie1992 View Post
    show off.
    :d

Those are supposed to be grins. I have no idea why there not showing up LOL!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Doughnut Spaghetti View Post

Those are supposed to be grins. I have no idea why there not showing up LOL!

Congrats on the new ride. I'm testing an Epic Comp this weekend. Not sure if I'll "pull the trigger" on it. If I do, the wife may pull the trigger on me.....

I really don't understand her problem....don't most folks go from owning none to owning two 29ers in a matter of days???

Besides, the 2011 Hardrock 29er Disc I bought earlier today was under $290 with my eBay coupon and bonus bucks . It was too cheap not to buy!!!!

mtbr member
    I'm trying to get the Girlfriend to buy one for her self. Well, not a 29er because she may be a little short for that, but something along those lines.

Be careful if you test a Epic, you won't want to leave without it. That mini brain is really something. I tried the Stumpjumper fsr 29er and then the Epic. Needless to say I'm broke right now. Although I did happen to find a 2010 used w/ an upgraded crank and a computer and saved a little vs a brand new one. That silver/red 2011 one had my name on it though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Realistically speaking, finding a good late model slightly used Epic is what I figure will eventually happen for me in the end. I also tried a new Stumpjumper FSR 29er, but I know in my heart of hearts I'll probably want the Epic. I tested a Giant Anthem X 29er 3 this past weekend as well. Nice....but I didn't find it overly "sexy". I think I am becoming a "Specialized" guy.

In a couple of months, when it turns to fall and winter is just around the corner I'll run across someone who needs the money and will part with an Epic at a good price. It's always nice when you don't "have" to purchase something right away. Patience is a key to finding the thing you want at the right price. It's the lust for something that gets ya....

Heck, I've ridden mostly a bunch HT for years, a few more months aren't going to kill me. Besides, I'm still on the fence about 29ers vs. 26ers overall and I want to know definitively which way to go before forking over the cash.

Congrats again on the new ride. Good luck getting the GF to buy one. I've tried to talk my wife into getting into MTB, but with three kids (two of whom are 1 yr old twins) there just isn't a whole heck of a lot of time available.

Dual Squishy...
    Nicely played. Looks excellent!!

mtbr member
    i did something similar to 29er hardrock disc but it has a recon on the front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3 View Post
    Not too much on an issue on cable disc brakes. Hydraulic yes

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    To above poster who is debating 26er vs 29er. I think 29er climbs a lot better then 26... the bigger wheels and footprint tends to stay planted on the ground better and if you stay in the saddle and lean forward and down a little bit, you can climb like a beast once the rear wheels digs in.

Im really happy with this disc 29er...I did add Conti Race Kings 2.2 and they are really great tires. The stock tires were only so-so...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    UPDATE:

Conti Race King 2.2's
    Kalloy bar 31.8
    Specialized 60mm stem.

Short-Change-Hero
    Wow seriously you need to adjust your seat, that thing seems WWWAAAAAAAYYY to low!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Looks really, really good. I love that 'Specialized' sticker along the bottom.

It's nice to see someone have so much pride in their ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks, its a good bike! Ill be proud of until it disspoints me! (and I hope thats not for a long time , lol)

The Duuude, man...
    Trim cables, change pedals, raise seat, level seat.

mtbr member
    Man, how much did you spend on upgrades? Good job getting rid of all the excess blue.
    '14 Scott Genius 730 650b
    '16 Heller Bloodhound rigid

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01 View Post
    Trim cables, change pedals, raise seat, level seat.
    HUH? Ill take it you posted in the wrong thread. My bike is just the way I want it, but thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
    Man, how much did you spend on upgrades? Good job getting rid of all the excess blue.
    Well if you were to go to Speedgoat.com and build up this bike with all the components (or comparable) it costs around $3,000. Im into it half of that. ;P

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004

5'9"

At 5'9" on a 19" bike, that seat is probably as high as it is going to get. 19" is probably better for a 6' rider. That's is probably why he needs a short stem as well. 100mm wasn't that short, for a 6 footer. Getting off unexpectedly on some rough uphill could be interesting for the old crotch area.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pininfarina599 View Post
    HUH? Ill take it you posted in the wrong thread. My bike is just the way I want it, but thanks.
    Watch out, it appears you have stalkers who know your body, component preferences and riding style better than you do.

Nice looking bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HHL View Post
    At 5'9" on a 19" bike, that seat is probably as high as it is going to get. 19" is probably better for a 6' rider. That's is probably why he needs a short stem as well. 100mm wasn't that short, for a 6 footer. Getting off unexpectedly on some rough uphill could be interesting for the old crotch area.
    Yup very perceptive, Ideally the stock geometry is more well-suited for someone around 5'11 or 6 foot. Since im 5'9 ,with the shorter stem and lower seat hight its right-on and I love it.

Although I do think the perspective of the picture makes the seat like a tad lower then in reality. Thats why the rear wheel looks smaller in diameter as well...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PedalDangit View Post
    Watch out, it appears you have stalkers who know your body, component preferences and riding style better than you do.

Nice looking bike.
    I was wondering how he could have possibly known what I want, before I even knew I wanted it! LOL

mtbr member
    I like the color... Although I also stuck my wife on a leftover "Rasta" colored Peace Niner.... Still getting flack for that! (But I got a smoking deal)