Lightest hardrmtail under $1500?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2019

Lightest hardrmtail under $1500?

Does anyone know who makes the lightest hardtail under $1500? Lightest I found so far was a 2019 Giant Fathom 2. Only thing I dont like is that the Giant does not have thru axle on rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    have you checkout bikesdirect.com

They have Kestrel MXZ PRO 29NX @ sub 23 lbs for only $1999. They have few other carbon HT under $1500.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Thank you. Which ones are under $1500?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I got a used one 3 years ago, still like new with normal maintenance. Do not go to light you still need tires for where u ride. For that price no sticker is lighter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bertoman View Post
    Thank you. Which ones are under $1500?
    Did you go to the site and look?

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by dc40 View Post
    Did you go to the site and look?
    Yes but never heard of those bikes before. I have already looked at sites just having hard time finding bike weights.

Bikesexual
    Yes but never heard of those bikes before. I have already looked at sites just having hard time finding bike weights.
    Are you racing?
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The brand is motobecane.

Here is Motobecane FANTOM 29 CF EAGLE 1X12 ($1199)

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ikes.htm#specs

Motobecane FANTOM 29 CF COMP 2X ($999)
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tain-bikes.htm

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Are you racing?
    Nope. Just want light bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by dc40 View Post
    The brand is motobecane.

Here is Motobecane FANTOM 29 CF EAGLE 1X12 ($1199)

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ikes.htm#specs

Motobecane FANTOM 29 CF COMP 2X ($999)
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tain-bikes.htm
    I will take a look at thank you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Nope. Just want light bike.
    The $1199 one was perfect except it does not have thru axles or drop post. Looks like this will be hard find with my budget if I can even find.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I found an Orbea Alma M50 on sale for about $1300ish, before they dropped the NX on it, converted it to 1x and added carbon bars, pretty light, probably arount 23-24 lbs.
    2018 Trek Stache 5
    2018 Orbea Alma M50
    2018 Cannondale Trigger 2

Co Springs
    Does Framed make other than fat or adventure bikes ? They advertise pretty strong and have cf bikes at 1300 to 1500 I think.

Jenson had/has a cf Diamondback at 1300 also. Sub 25 # / brand name. That one tempted me.

Aluminum may be better at that price range though. Bid prices on carbon fiber bikes could be lowest of integrity.
    bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman:

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    The $1199 one was perfect except it does not have thru axles or drop post. Looks like this will be hard find with my budget if I can even find.
    Dropper are heavy, make up your mind, cheap + bells n stuff + new = stop dreaming

banned
    Oct 2019
    I am pretty sure the lightest would be some chiner. But lightest brand name, hm, probably some od the direct sales brands. I think Radon (Germany) tends to be very light for the price. Probably not the lightest, but damn light and damn good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Wolf View Post
    I am pretty sure the lightest would be some chiner. But lightest brand name, hm, probably some od the direct sales brands. I think Radon (Germany) tends to be very light for the price. Probably not the lightest, but damn light and damn good.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I will look into those options.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    Dropper are heavy, make up your mind, cheap + bells n stuff + new = stop dreaming
    There are deals out there like the Orbea the other poster mentioned he found for $1300. That's not dreaming! The purpose of my original post was to find best deals out there

mtbr member
    Unsolicited advice: it sounds like youíre looking for a lightweight XC hardtail. That is fine, and a lot of people ride similar bikes because they want something light.

Donít get TOO focused on counting grams. Sometimes the difference in weight between two bikes is an ounce or two, which will be negligible when actually riding it. You might be able to make an already light bike considerably lighter with a cheap, simple upgrade or tires, seatpost, saddle, handlebar, etc.

More importantly, if the bike is light but you canít get it to fit you the way you like without compromising handling characteristics, itís not a good bike for you. Youíll need to throw a leg over each bike, or at least ride a few to know what geometry features you like, to make that determination. Judging a bike on weight alone wonít help in that regard, but looking for a bike that is relatively light is a worthwhile goal.

Dropper posts are heavy. If youíre going to compare weights, factor that in if youíre looking for a bike that comes with a dropper. If your primary goal is to have a lightweight bike, you might want to forget about dropper posts.

Iíd just start looking at the lightweight XC race bikes that any and all manufacturers have to offer. Specialized Chisel, Trek X-Caliber, Giant Fathom, etc.

You might also find a HELLUVA good deal on a used hardtail, maybe even a featherweight carbon fiber model.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Unsolicited advice: it sounds like youíre looking for a lightweight XC hardtail. That is fine, and a lot of people ride similar bikes because they want something light.

Donít get TOO focused on counting grams. Sometimes the difference in weight between two bikes is an ounce or two, which will be negligible when actually riding it. You might be able to make an already light bike considerably lighter with a cheap, simple upgrade or tires, seatpost, saddle, handlebar, etc.

More importantly, if the bike is light but you canít get it to fit you the way you like without compromising handling characteristics, itís not a good bike for you. Youíll need to throw a leg over each bike, or at least ride a few to know what geometry features you like, to make that determination. Judging a bike on weight alone wonít help in that regard, but looking for a bike that is relatively light is a worthwhile goal.

Dropper posts are heavy. If youíre going to compare weights, factor that in if youíre looking for a bike that comes with a dropper. If your primary goal is to have a lightweight bike, you might want to forget about dropper posts.

Iíd just start looking at the lightweight XC race bikes that any and all manufacturers have to offer. Specialized Chisel, Trek X-Caliber, Giant Fathom, etc.

You might also find a HELLUVA good deal on a used hardtail, maybe even a featherweight carbon fiber model.
    Thank you very much for the great advice. I will definitely yse when moving forward in my search for a bike. The hunt continues!

since 4/10/2009
    There are deals out there like the Orbea the other poster mentioned he found for $1300. That's not dreaming! The purpose of my original post was to find best deals out there
    the old axiom remains true. Light, cheap, strong: pick two. You can also substitute "functional" for strong. There's a point with gram shaving that you start taking away important functions of a mtb for the sake of the grams on the scale. You're in the light + cheap(ish) neighborhood with your requests. As already mentioned, dropper posts add notable weight, but they offer useful function. Suspension is the same. Good tires can often do the same. Good brakes will be a little heavier, too. When comfort is important, grips and saddle should be chosen without weight as a concern (you can shave weight off of a particular model by purchasing the Ti or carbon railed version of a saddle without sacrificing comfort).

okay, you're looking for deals. That's fine. But true deals are always limited. Availability (size/color), time, builds. Putting a further weight restriction on it is going to result in not finding a bike.

Narrow it down based on the style of riding you intend to do on the bike. If you want to race xc, then go for that light bike, but you'll need to be a bit more flexible on price. But if you're not going to race xc, an xc race bike is probably going to be poorly suited in the same way that an enduro bike would suck for racing xc.

banned
    Oct 2019
    Well its much better to have 10kg stiff bike with super light wheels and tires, than less stiff bike at 9.5kg with relatively heavier wheels and tires.
    Rotational mass counts much more, and stiffness (especially in BB area) helps you to transmit higher percentage of the watts you produce into your forward motion. Also stiff cranks and wheels are very important. However, you do not want extremely stiff wheels and rear triangle for at least two reasons - it makes for harsh ride (you get tired faster) and bike jumps on small bumps and loses traction. And one more point - lateral stiffness should be as high as possible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    the old axiom remains true. Light, cheap, strong: pick two. You can also substitute "functional" for strong. There's a point with gram shaving that you start taking away important functions of a mtb for the sake of the grams on the scale. You're in the light + cheap(ish) neighborhood with your requests. As already mentioned, dropper posts add notable weight, but they offer useful function. Suspension is the same. Good tires can often do the same. Good brakes will be a little heavier, too. When comfort is important, grips and saddle should be chosen without weight as a concern (you can shave weight off of a particular model by purchasing the Ti or carbon railed version of a saddle without sacrificing comfort).

okay, you're looking for deals. That's fine. But true deals are always limited. Availability (size/color), time, builds. Putting a further weight restriction on it is going to result in not finding a bike.

Narrow it down based on the style of riding you intend to do on the bike. If you want to race xc, then go for that light bike, but you'll need to be a bit more flexible on price. But if you're not going to race xc, an xc race bike is probably going to be poorly suited in the same way that an enduro bike would suck for racing xc.
    Thank you for the great advice. Much appreciate!

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Wolf View Post
    Well its much better to have 10kg stiff bike with super light wheels and tires, than less stiff bike at 9.5kg with relatively heavier wheels and tires.
    Rotational mass counts much more, and stiffness (especially in BB area) helps you to transmit higher percentage of the watts you produce into your forward motion. Also stiff cranks and wheels are very important. However, you do not want extremely stiff wheels and rear triangle for at least two reasons - it makes for harsh ride (you get tired faster) and bike jumps on small bumps and loses traction. And one more point - lateral stiffness should be as high as possible.

Thank you for advice. No racing at all. Just want lighter bike for versatility, value etc.