Lighter, faster rolling Rampage?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Lighter, faster rolling Rampage?

Anything out there like the Rampage but a bit smaller and faster with similar durability? I really like the Rampage as a front tire but it is just so huge....I mean, I am going to be racing on this thing and only weigh 145 or so. Tire will be used in the southeast in all conditions except for extreme mud where I would find something else...so what should I try:

Ignitor...Jones ACX....fire xc...Ardent????

Oh yeah, will be tubeless on a SS w/ a suspension fork for enduros. Gotta be durable!

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Try 2.25 Ardent.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    just my two wheat pennies

i ordered michelin XC AT casue my rear rampage was getting so cloged up with VA mud on the rear casue it has very little clearance, well i intended to only use the michey's on the back but I put them on both casue i accidently ordered two and you know, I havent really needed to put the panaracer back on the front (which I really liked, just wanted to try the michey) it supposedly weighs 600g whereas the panaracer weights 800g so i guess its a lil lighter too. also from my experience it rolls better if you run the back tire backwards from what the arrow says...

it does have better rolling resistance than the panaracer and sheds mud like a dream and i learned yesterday that its pretty badass on snow aswell... we got 1.5 feet here in VA on saturday...

I heard its good tubeless but I have not tried yet, infact I only have about 15 hours on these tires and only like twice that on my new 29er... so my oppinion may be sucky
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Stayin' Puft
    A Specialized Captain Control 29x2.0 2Bliss. Fairly fast-rolling, but still knobby and saves a little weight without being a kleenex. Really nice beads on Specy 29er tires, tubeless as it should be.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K
    Anything out there like the Rampage but a bit smaller and faster with similar durability? I really like the Rampage as a front tire but it is just so huge....I mean, I am going to be racing on this thing and only weigh 145 or so. Tire will be used in the southeast in all conditions except for extreme mud where I would find something else...so what should I try:

Ignitor...Jones ACX....fire xc...Ardent????

Oh yeah, will be tubeless on a SS w/ a suspension fork for enduros. Gotta be durable!

Ardent rear is great but it sux on the front.
    Ignitor front and Crossmark rear works well for me.

Rider and Wrench
    The Ardent 2.25 is a fairly durable fast rolling tire that offer great front end grip- I run it out front in all but the winter slop in the MD/PA area. I like and run the Rampage up front in the winter (just put a 2.4 Ardent on to give it a try) and compared to the 2.25 Ardent it does offer a bit more traction and rolling resistance- I find that the Ardent likes to really lean to bite on fast corners VS the Rampage is kind of a no brainer but it shows by it's drag -
    I Just wish I could ride more!

RIDE TO LIVE
    Try the Jones ACX 2.2 TLR. For traction and durability, its a close 2nd to the Rampage and the weight is respectable. Its my 1st choice for SS racing on tech/rocky terrain. I have worn out several pairs and still find them very predictable in a wide variety of conditions. I come from a MX background so I like a tire that can be pushed hard but doesn't weight a ton. I just ordered a set of 2.25 Bonty 29-3 front specific tires which have nice volume and a fairly aggressive tread. Weight is in the 600 gm range for the team issue. An ACX up front with a 29-3 in the rear may be my race setup this year, time will tell.

mtbr member
    What are you running out back? As TR says, if you're racing unless it's really nasty, sharp rocks you can't beat the Xmark R/Ignitor F as a combo Right now I'm trying Xmark R/Ardent 2.25" F, but I'm not so sure on the Ardent on the front.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I live in NC and I've been pretty pleased with my saguaro 2.2's. They've really surprised me with their cornering grip and work well in anything but soaking NC clay but then again I don't know of much that does. Picked them up for $29.00 each.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    What are you running out back? As TR says, if you're racing unless it's really nasty, sharp rocks you can't beat the Xmark R/Ignitor F as a combo Right now I'm trying Xmark R/Ardent 2.25" F, but I'm not so sure on the Ardent on the front.
    Same combo here and after one ride the Ardent is being replaced.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Alright...gonna try an Ignitor.

Used an ACX last year and ended up tearing a sidewall so I really dont trust them anymore.

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K
    Alright...gonna try an Ignitor.

Used an ACX last year and ended up tearing a sidewall so I really dont trust them anymore.
    Ignitors are great, but wear quickly. Once it is ~50% through the tread, it sucks to ride on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    S-Works 2Bliss Purgatory. 675 grams of 2.2in. confidence inspiring luv up front.

- I can't believe more people have not mentioned this tire.

mtbr member
    Really I think mine are about 50% or more and I find they still ride quite well, actually I decided I needed some decent mud tyres and trimmed out some knobs and they worked fantastically for that as well But nothing beats new almost anything huh.

Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    Ignitors are great, but wear quickly. Once it is ~50% through the tread, it sucks to ride on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

T Smee
    Oct 2007
    I really like the Captain up front, i think mine is the 2.0, if you are looking to keep a larger tire try the 2.2

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    (26er lurker/)

I've really been digging the 26" version of this on my hardtail. Also just recently set up ghetto/Gorilla tape tubeless, and it's working beautifully.

http://www.intensetires.com/itxc-29-225.html

Bonus: Jenson has them cheap.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Lite+Tire.aspx
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

change is good
    Sep 2004
    2.0 Captain, sticks better than it should.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Do Not Get The Intense Tires Shown Above

I literally got three mellow rides on them b4 the rear blew the sidewall out on a gravel road and on inspecting the front it is showing sidewall fraying too.
    Besides that they're heavy and ugly.
    Worst tires I've ever had.
    Replaced with the Michelin XC ATs REI had on sale a while back for $13.00 each (there's a post here somewhere) and couldn't be happier.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerflier
    I literally got three mellow rides on them b4 the rear blew the sidewall out on a gravel road and on inspecting the front it is showing sidewall fraying too.
    Besides that they're heavy and ugly.
    Worst tires I've ever had.
    Replaced with the Michelin XC ATs REI had on sale a while back for $13.00 each (there's a post here somewhere) and couldn't be happier.
    Eh, whatever works. I, on the other hand, have found every Michelin tire I've tried to be crap.

Really, you care ab out a tire being ugly?

If it works (and these do for me, caveat: in the 26" size) then ugliness takes a back seat.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Members who have read this thread: 0