Light weight?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Light weight?

mtbr member

Light weight?

When talking about light wheels for 29er's, what average weight can we expect (rear, front with tires'on)?
    I dont have a scale close by to weight my Equalizer with X9 rear hub and Racing Ralph tire but it seem's heavy.... Theses came stock with the Flash 3 2011.
    08 Rush 4 - 650B
    10 Synapse 5 Carbon

mtbr member
    A fairly light wheelset will be around the 1600 gram range and tires around 600 grams. You can go lighter with each but that's a decent range. You have a pretty nice bike and your tires are pretty good but my guess is your wheelset is around the 1800-1900 gram range.

If so, you could order a set of Crest wheels from Notubes for around 500 bucks, that come in around 1500 grams and save nearly a pound.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerwah
    A fairly light wheelset will be around the 1600 gram range and tires around 600 grams. You can go lighter with each but that's a decent range. You have a pretty nice bike and your tires are pretty good but my guess is your wheelset is around the 1800-1900 gram range.

If so, you could order a set of Crest wheels from Notubes for around 500 bucks, that come in around 1500 grams and save nearly a pound.
    Thanks for the advice. I could get a set of Crest's rims built on actual X9 rear hub and Lefty front's. I just read on the specs that i have a Shimano SLR 11-36 10spd casette, my guest is that i could save weight there also. Any ideas for decent light casette?
    08 Rush 4 - 650B
    10 Synapse 5 Carbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    tires are going to be more like 450grams a piece for light ones. Racing Ralph 29er according to Schwalbe's website are 585grams and up. Go with something like Bontrager XR1 @ 470 grams.

X9 hubs are heavy. check out other options. I really like Circus Monkey (on ebay) if you're on a budget.

Sram XX cassette is much lighter than your shimano. My advice, go browse the Weight Weenie forum.

AEC
    mtbr member
    Stan's ZTR Crest 29 Rims
    American Classic Single Speed Hubs
    1.7/2.0 double butted
    This all equals 1562grams
    Plus Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25
    This equals 1152
    Plus Stans NoTubes sealant
    This equals 115

So this all comes to a grand total of
    2829 grams

Hope this gives a rough estimate

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AEC
    Stan's ZTR Crest 29 Rims
    American Classic Single Speed Hubs
    1.7/2.0 double butted
    This all equals 1562grams
    Plus Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25
    This equals 1152
    Plus Stans NoTubes sealant
    This equals 115

So this all comes to a grand total of
    2829 grams

Hope this gives a rough estimate
    Is that wheel weight actual or calculated? My crest 29's with revo 1.5/2.0 and Circus Monkey hubs are 1480grams with strips and valves.

AEC
    mtbr member
    calculated on my Park Tool DS-2

Racing Ralph

Front

Rear

You could also try Notubes.com's wheel weight calculator.

mtbr member
    I run two sets...

1. Vuleta XRP Team 29er SuperLite Disc; no tires, rotors they came in around 1650gr.

2. Shimano XT hubs w/ WTB Laser rims; no tires, rotors they came in around 2250gr.

I ride the Vuleta's all the time now. Great wheelset for under $300. About 2600 miles on them last year and solid. Not a super name brand, but who cares. They are light and work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BKruahnndon
    X9 hubs are heavy. check out other options. I really like Circus Monkey (on ebay) if you're on a budget.
    What is your opinion on Circus Monkey's? What's the weight for rear hub? They quoted me $90 for rear hub only, seems pretty cheap but what about quality?

08 Rush 4 - 650B
    10 Synapse 5 Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    where can i find the circus monkey hubs?

mtbr member
    BKruahnndon,

What is your opinion on Circus Monkey's? What's the weight for rear hub? They quoted me $90 for rear hub only, seems pretty cheap but what about quality?
    08 Rush 4 - 650B
    10 Synapse 5 Carbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by surf418
    BKruahnndon,

eBay username ebike.ltd and send a best offer. He's great to deal with and the cheapest I've found.
    I've had them laced to my crests for almost a year now and love them. Thousands of miles and not a single problem. I'm 165lbs full gear and they held up to 24hrs of Moab without needing to be trued. I also have 1 set laced to some 50mm carbon tubulars for cross AND 1 set being laced right now to 28 spoke Bontrager XXX lite's.

F and R both pop apart without tools. I like pulling the hub body off with the cassette left on. I lube the rear pawls with mineral oil monthly. Bearings are a standard size so they are easily replaced, should you ever need to.

THE ONLY CON I have so far....and it does not bother me one bit, the engagement of the hub is a bit slow. My singlespeed buddies say crap like " how can you stand that???" but I point to their one gear and say the same thing. Engagement is really not that bad at all.

Will take some of them tonight and post. Also, claimed numbers are spot on in all 3 sets of mine, 277 grams R, 115-117 grams F.
    Last edited by BKruahnndon; 01-04-2011 at 08:32 PM.

mtbr member
    I've had my Circus Monkeys for ~3 weeks now,but only have around 60 miles on mine. So far,so good. I had mine laced to Crest rims with Revolution Super Comps 1.8-2.0,brass nipples. They come in at 1,650 grams. 3 pawns 24 point engagement. I'm coming from Hope pro II hubs,and I can't tell a difference in engagement,but the Circus Monkeys are not as loud for sure.

Thanks BKruahnndon for helping me via PMs on snagging these hubs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Light weight?-img_5888.jpg  

Light weight?-img_5894.jpg  

Light weight?-img_5955.jpg  

Light weight?-img_5956.jpg  

mtbr member
    Too bad they don't have a SS version....

Members who have read this thread: 0