Leviathan shocks - what you using?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Leviathan shocks - what you using?

To any and all Leviathan rider out there...

My friend is getting one at the end of the month. He's coming off a 2004 Specialized Stumpjumper FS with the 3 position shock (Pro-Pedal, full open, and lockout).

Which shock would most be like what he has? I'm not impressed with the Fox RP3 on my bike, and I've told him to ask for something different. He weighs 230lbs, but should weigh less when he gets back in shape.

Thanks.

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    To any and all Leviathan rider out there...

My friend is getting one at the end of the month. He's coming off a 2004 Specialized Stumpjumper FS with the 3 position shock (Pro-Pedal, full open, and lockout).

Which shock would most be like what he has? I'm not impressed with the Fox RP3 on my bike, and I've told him to ask for something different. He weighs 230lbs, but should weigh less when he gets back in shape.

Thanks.
    I've ridden the RP3 and a Cloud Nine on a Levi. I much preferred the C-9. That big volume chamber makes for a very compliant and plush ride...if, and it's a big if, you like a plush ride. Me? I like for suspension to work. The full compression damping switch on the C-9 will settle it down very well for racing and/or climbing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

shocks

I tried a DT240 and a Float R on my Levi. I liked the Platform of the float R, but the Dt was plushier. If I had it to do over again, I would actually go for a Manitou 3-way or a fifth element. IMHO, the Lev needs fine tuning of the platform stiffness in order to shine. I found the DT to be too bobby unless I set it up stiff enough that it would never use all of its travel. I weigh 220#

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Rock Shox MC 3.3

On good recommendation, I've purchased it.

Ride report to follow soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Rock Shox MC 3.3

On good recommendation, I've purchased it.

Ride report to follow soon.
    That would be very helpful. Recommended by MC? Are you or Madre or both trying the MC3.3? Really anxious to hear about it. I'd like to make sure we get the right shock on there before it ships...

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    That would be very helpful. Recommended by MC? Are you or Madre or both trying the MC3.3? Really anxious to hear about it. I'd like to make sure we get the right shock on there before it ships...
    Yeah, i'll let you guys know when i get the first ride.
    Only I am trying it...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

rp3

Hi got the rp3 on my lenz and am frustrated with it. Will start another thread so not to hijack.

Thanks

-jv

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Yeah, i'll let you guys know when i get the first ride.
    Only I am trying it...
    Cool. I hope its soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jvossman
    Hi got the rp3 on my lenz and am frustrated with it. Will start another thread so not to hijack.
    I don't mind, and I don't think its a hijack anyway. You've got the right bike to be talking about this stuff. I'm all ears...

I told my friend I wasn't impressed with my own RP3 on my RM ETS-X70. (sorry 26") That's way I thought he should looke elsewhere.

I checked out PUSH industries. I bet if you sent your RP3 in (about $150), it would work way better when it came back. New PUSH'ed RP3's from them cost $490 though...
    Last edited by Wish I Were Riding; 02-10-2006 at 02:36 PM. Reason: update price of new PUSH RP3

jl
    climb
    -jv
    I don't think this is a hijack, so I'm answering here . From your previous posts I've always thought your shock was messed up. Maybe you can swap it with someone elses.

Lenz Leviathan XL (the first dark blue one). came with RP3. What are you running the setting at? I weight 205 and a little concerned with all the bobbing that happens on this bike when I pedal. Friend with a SC Blur LT has the same shock w/ no bobbing.
    I'm around 185 and I have my shock set at 120 for most of my riding. 125-130 for racing, and 110 if I want it cushie... I do think 110 (for me) is a little soft for steep techie climbs.
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

breathing helium
    I'm lookng at the DT Swiss one with the lockout; 210L I think. The RP3 is the other option, but I've been hearing about this "stuck down " thing enough to make me a little hesitant. DT's are supposed to really plush which I like the most.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

typo

Sorry, my earlier post was referring to the DT 210L, not the 240 I mentioned (confusion with my hub numbers). The lockout is VERY firm on the 210L, pretty much rigid. If you can only pick between the two, I'd go RP3. The Lev needs a platform shock, IMHO. But if you are a real smooth pedaler, then maybe the DT would be the choice. Still say the tunable platform is very much worthwhile. Maybe that Rockshox MC 3.3 would be the ticket...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

holy moley

You weigh 185 and you run 130 lbs. I got it set to 250 psi in an effort to stop the bobsies.... Set to fully active....

-jv

Members who have read this thread: 0