Leviathan Lust...- Mtbr.com
    jl
    climb

Leviathan Lust...

More later ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

giddy up!
    That thing looks great! Can't wait to see it built up!

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

nice frame and color

The front looks so beefy compared to the rear triangle

Recovering couch patato
    Looks awesome! Size and weight?
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Derailleurless
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelo
    The front looks so beefy compared to the rear triangle
    I was admiring the gussetting at the downtube / bottom bracket junction.

mtbr member

Just put my order in for an XL

Thought I had my color picked out till I saw this puppy. Very nice!

Please get that bike built up pronto!

N+1

cost?

what's the ballpark cost on the beauty?
    GET Bret Weir, I said.

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004

did you warn your riding buddies?

because this might embarrass some of them...or maybe you could send them this pic because they won't be able to see you when riding?! sweet looking frame, how much will it weigh built up?

Recovering Weight Weenie
    whew! that thing is smokin'!!!
    i must agree that the beef of the front end isn't matched out back...at least optically... still looks phenomenal....
    must...keep....credit...card....in...wallet....

drc
    annoyingly cautious
    Jan 2004

lusting not much longer

I hope to see my blue and silver Leviathan in 3-5 weeks. I'm having loads of fun picking out and ordering components.

Recovering couch patato
    Pre-build shopping is almost the best part of getting a new bike, isn't it?
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

jl
    climb

The Leviathan Build

Wednesday morning, time to skip work and pick up the beast. I drive out of town--40 or so minutes to the Leviathan. I meet Devin at about 9:30am. On hand are 3 different Leviathans, one is mine. It looks great, and I have all the parts, just waiting, to put Monstro together. Before I left, Devin put the 'large frame' on the scale ~5.15 lbs. Definitely less than 5.25 lbs--if you're really counting ounces, grams, whatever.

I drop the frame off at the bike shop, with the extra parts and head off to work. I need to pay for this somehow... Maybe by the end of the day I'll have a new ride.

Steve calls about 3:00pm, "Call me when you get a chance." I call back, "What's up Steve?" Steve says, "Well, there's a little problem with the disc-brake tab, it needs to be faced" Being that I've never owned disc-brakes I say, "Faced? What's Faced?" I know what it means when I'm faced, but what does mean when the bike gets faced. Does it fall down a lot? He explains to me that the disc tab isn't exactly straight so the rotor doesn't fit straight between the pads. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a facing tool. Steve asks, "Are you sure you want to ride the Leviathan this weekend?" More on this later. Yes I say, this IS the bike for THIS weekend!

Now I have to give Steve credit, he is one of the two best mechanics in the area. He just opened his own shop in March and he does great work--I like to support the local LBS (especially if the work is done right). But nobody in town has a facing tool, so I call the other mechanic I trust--Larry (Ventanarama). Larry, I have problems, can you get to this today? Nope, I'm going to the Devil's Backbone advocacy meeting tonight. Even though my perspective is different at this moment (shouldn't the world revolve around my new bike!), I do agree the advocacy meeting is a priority. Okay, how about tomorrow. After we both work through our child care issues, it was agreed upon 1:00pm Thursday! The next day I haul my frame to another town in Norhern Colorado.

If anyone needs help with their bikes, parts, or fixing. These guys are the best in Northern Colorado. I really want to thank Larry and Steve for their work in getting the Monstro up and running.

Steve Opp
    The Roubaix Bicycle Company

Larry Mettler
    Mountain High Cyclery

Larry fixed up the disc tabs, I get some extras for the trip, and I head back to Greality for the final assembly. I drop the bike off at 3:00pm at Steve's and go home to pack. At 6:00pm I pick up the bike ready to ride this weekend. Other than the disc tab, everything went together great!

OOOHHH LAAA LAAA!

Let's get ready to ride! Heading out tomorrow at noon!

The pictures aren't the best because they were taken when it was almost dark outside .

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

totally sweet

have a great ride this weekend. You will love those hopes if you have not used them before. They are my favorite brake by far!

Recovering Weight Weenie
    The pictures aren't the best because they were taken when it was almost dark outside .
    Just fine, delicious.
    Do you have working email for Lenz? I've tried 2 different ones with no luck.
    Also, is that the 4" travel 1.0? What is your head angle with that baby on there?
    I'm still trying to decide on which fork for my application.

Moderator Moderator
    Holy crap...I live 20 minutes from you in Fort Collins. You GOTTA let me ride that bike! Lets ride sometime...the trails are really nice right now too!

Brett 970.407.3568 brettr at ussbike.com
    Front Range Forum Moderator

Mar 2004
    Love that color! Hottest 29er I've seen yet.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Do you have working email for Lenz? I've tried 2 different ones with no luck.

Also, is that the 4" travel 1.0?
    What is your head angle with that baby on there?

I'm still trying to decide on which fork for my application.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    Holy crap...I live 20 minutes from you in Fort Collins. You GOTTA let me ride that bike! Lets ride sometime...the trails are really nice right now too!

Brett 970.407.3568 brettr at ussbike.com
    I'm in Denver. Let's get a 29er ride together up your way before ski season, I'll bring the Titus

Mar 2004
    I have Devin's e-mail address around here some where. I'll try to find it. Right now I have to head to work.

jl
    climb

The Ride Report

Friday! The family is packed up and ready to head to the venue. Tomorrow will be the first time I get to ride Monstro. And where is that pray tell? In my earlier thread I stated that this IS the bike for THIS weekend. The first ride of the Leviathan will take place on the first lap of the 24-HOURS OF MOAB! Let's get ready to ride!

I told Devin that I thought the Leviathan would be the perfect 24 Hours of Moab race bike. I also think I was correct in that assumption. This bike rideslike no other I've ever ridden in Moab. I finished the first lap with a huge smile on may face. My quote was "That was the best damn ride I've ever had on a mountain bike!"

The Leviathan is the best handling bike I ridden. Right now, I don't know or care about head angles, chainstay length, standover height, top tube length, tire size, or whatever the idiosyncratic concern of day is. All I know is this is the most effecient and stable bike I've ever ridden. It makes me want to ride even more. Isn't that the point. I would aim the Leviathan downhill and it flew down the technical sections. I'm normally the guy picking my way through the technical section while others are bombing by me. Not today Zurg!

I pointed the bike up hill and it rode over everything. On most sections that I would normally try and find an easier line to climb, I didn't care, I just pedaled right up the trail, usually between other racers. This bike really shined on the fast gradual downhills. Two of the last 3 miles of the lap is a fireroad that the allowed the big wheels to really move. The pedaling is really efficient, the bike would just move if you hammered down on the pedals. On the faster downhills, I never touched the brakes--the bike would just fly, and it felt so damn stable that I didn't worry about the front end getting loose.

When riding the sand, the front end would start to get loose and the bike had a tendency to 'right' it self with just a little input on the handlebars. My old bike had a tendency to over-correct, but not the Lenz, it seemed to get right back on track and start moving again. Damn this thing is stable. Did I mention that this bike felt stable?

I'm sold! I'm now thinking about getting rid of my 26" classic hardtail, "the last bike I was every going to buy."

I talked to Devin on Sunday morning right before the end of the race, right after his last lap. We compared notes and description of how the Leviathan rode. We both agreed it was a great bike to have for the race. We talked about how it stepped up the terrain, how it flew down the technical sections, how it handled in the sand, how it climbed, everything.

For me, the setup of this bike is perfect. I like to ride aggressive XC, and I like to race. I might look at more travel when it is available, but right now this bike is well-balanced and handles great. I never felt like I needed more suspension.

Probably the most telling thing, for me, that this is a great bike--is what happened with Devin. He had an entire rack of Lenzsport bikes at his campsite. I asked him if he rode one of his other bikes. He said that he had planned on doing a lap on the Leviathan, the Lumberjack, and the Revelation for comparison. But before each lap he just couldn't convince himself to get back on the smaller wheels, he was having too much fun on the Leviathan. With that attitude a 529er might come sooner than we think.

Earlier this summer I was wanting someone to 'convince' me to make the plunge to get the Leviathan--at the end I had to convince myself. After this weekend, and the smile on my face, I'm glad I through all caution to the wind and went with the Leviathan. The big wheels add something that none of the 26er full-suspension bikes I've ridden are able to match.

Padre, the shock is a WB 1.0 Air. I had it set to 80lbs (default setting), but I might drop it to 75 if it doesn't loosen up in a few more rides. As for the head angle, as I mentioned above, I don't really know what it is and I now don't really care. The 4" shock is perfect for what I want to do with this bike. The ride is fantastic... It's not twitchy like my 26er, and I can steer it quickly over some gnarly terrain (like the behind the rocks course). I wish my old bike handled like this one . It instills a ton of confidence. I know the .8 is suppose to be 'faster' but I right now I like how the bike handles with the 1.0.

As for Devin and email--he doesn't seem to spend much time doing the internet. Give him a call-303 857 9151. I have contacted him with the email on his website [email protected], but I didn't get a reply until after I called him .

Brett, you can have a ride, but only after you look at my stand and see if it needs fixing. The top slider started falling out and I don't know if that 'normal.' And after I ride it a few more times. I'm still trying to catch-up after Moab.

Pictures.
    #1 Looking back toward Fruita Friday evening
    #2 The final adjustment before the race
    #3 Another 29er (Board Sponser)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

24 hours was my first ride as well on the .....

brand spankin new Ti Racer X 29er that showed up late Friday at Poison Spider for me as well. All i can say is after racing Moab for 5+ times over the years, my lap times were the fastest ones I've had. Personally I think its due to the 29er wheels. They just MOTOR!

Nothing like giving a new rig the official run-down in a rough/brutal/demanding race! Zero issues, no adjustments needed - gotta love it when the bike fits perfectly/hadles like a dream!

It was a close call for me w/ the Leviathan, almost popped for it especially after riding it both days of DirtDemo - but in the end rossixc sold me on the Titus.

D

Moderator Moderator
    Sweet! I'll bring some parts for your stand when we ride. It sounds like you might need some lock-tite on the nut that holds the slide-lock clutch in place.

Nice ride report! I want one bad...
    Front Range Forum Moderator

Recovering couch patato
    I want it worse now :-(
    Don't care about HTA anymore either, but I'd still have mine steeper.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by jl
    "That was the best damn ride I've ever had on a mountain bike!"

With that attitude a 529er might come sooner than we think.

Padre, the shock is a WB 1.0 Air. I had it set to 80lbs (default setting), but I might drop it to 75 if it doesn't loosen up in a few more rides. As for the head angle, as I mentioned above, I don't really know what it is and I now don't really care. The 4" shock is perfect for what I want to do with this bike. The ride is fantastic... It's not twitchy like my 26er, and I can steer it quickly over some gnarly terrain (like the behind the rocks course). I wish my old bike handled like this one . It instills a ton of confidence. I know the .8 is suppose to be 'faster' but I right now I like how the bike handles with the 1.0.
    Nice report! Whew. My only concern w/ the 4" fork was having it be to slack of a HA on the climbs. Apparently, it wasn't an issue for you!!!

jl
    climb
    Alta,

The titus is a really nice bike. I just didn't want to go for the full Ti action ($$$). If my goals were more race oriented, I might have gone with the Titus. I also liked the idea of buying a frame from a guy who builds frames 30 minutes from my house.

The 29" wheels really worked in moab. I'm looking forward to do some more riding on the trails I typically ride just to reconfirm my joy ...

I'm glad you had a great race, it was a great weekend...

mtbr member

Now that was just cruel!

I'm going to be marking X's off on the calender till my Leviathan arrives.

Great report, BTW! Makes me even more glad I went with the Lenz. Mine will run a BW .8, which I hope will work good in the, sometimes, tight woods here.

How do you like the RP3 shock?

Submit to your ride!
    Jan 2004
    I could be wrong, but I think the Wily in the last pic is a 26'er since the wheelset is the Shimano XT's...

Friday! The family is packed up and ready to head to the venue. Tomorrow will be the first time I get to ride Monstro. And where is that pray tell? In my earlier thread I stated that this IS the bike for THIS weekend. The first ride of the Leviathan will take place on the first lap of the 24-HOURS OF MOAB! Let's get ready to ride!

I told Devin that I thought the Leviathan would be the perfect 24 Hours of Moab race bike. I also think I was correct in that assumption. This bike rideslike no other I've ever ridden in Moab. I finished the first lap with a huge smile on may face. My quote was "That was the best damn ride I've ever had on a mountain bike!"

The Leviathan is the best handling bike I ridden. Right now, I don't know or care about head angles, chainstay length, standover height, top tube length, tire size, or whatever the idiosyncratic concern of day is. All I know is this is the most effecient and stable bike I've ever ridden. It makes me want to ride even more. Isn't that the point. I would aim the Leviathan downhill and it flew down the technical sections. I'm normally the guy picking my way through the technical section while others are bombing by me. Not today Zurg!

I pointed the bike up hill and it rode over everything. On most sections that I would normally try and find an easier line to climb, I didn't care, I just pedaled right up the trail, usually between other racers. This bike really shined on the fast gradual downhills. Two of the last 3 miles of the lap is a fireroad that the allowed the big wheels to really move. The pedaling is really efficient, the bike would just move if you hammered down on the pedals. On the faster downhills, I never touched the brakes--the bike would just fly, and it felt so damn stable that I didn't worry about the front end getting loose.

When riding the sand, the front end would start to get loose and the bike had a tendency to 'right' it self with just a little input on the handlebars. My old bike had a tendency to over-correct, but not the Lenz, it seemed to get right back on track and start moving again. Damn this thing is stable. Did I mention that this bike felt stable?

I'm sold! I'm now thinking about getting rid of my 26" classic hardtail, "the last bike I was every going to buy."

I talked to Devin on Sunday morning right before the end of the race, right after his last lap. We compared notes and description of how the Leviathan rode. We both agreed it was a great bike to have for the race. We talked about how it stepped up the terrain, how it flew down the technical sections, how it handled in the sand, how it climbed, everything.

For me, the setup of this bike is perfect. I like to ride aggressive XC, and I like to race. I might look at more travel when it is available, but right now this bike is well-balanced and handles great. I never felt like I needed more suspension.

Probably the most telling thing, for me, that this is a great bike--is what happened with Devin. He had an entire rack of Lenzsport bikes at his campsite. I asked him if he rode one of his other bikes. He said that he had planned on doing a lap on the Leviathan, the Lumberjack, and the Revelation for comparison. But before each lap he just couldn't convince himself to get back on the smaller wheels, he was having too much fun on the Leviathan. With that attitude a 529er might come sooner than we think.

Earlier this summer I was wanting someone to 'convince' me to make the plunge to get the Leviathan--at the end I had to convince myself. After this weekend, and the smile on my face, I'm glad I through all caution to the wind and went with the Leviathan. The big wheels add something that none of the 26er full-suspension bikes I've ridden are able to match.

As for Devin and email--he doesn't seem to spend much time doing the internet. Give him a call-303 857 9151. I have contacted him with the email on his website [email protected], but I didn't get a reply until after I called him .

Brett, you can have a ride, but only after you look at my stand and see if it needs fixing. The top slider started falling out and I don't know if that 'normal.' And after I ride it a few more times. I'm still trying to catch-up after Moab.

Pictures.
    #1 Looking back toward Fruita Friday evening
    #2 The final adjustment before the race
    #3 Another 29er (Board Sponser)

jl
    climb
    You're right it is a 26". I didn't notice until I posted the pic. I just quickly took the picture on my back to the campsite. It caught my eye because of the White Bros. fork. Aren't all the WB forks for 29ers.. it's still a Wily ...

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004

Noticed the tires

I noticed you had Kenda Klaws on your earlier ride. Did you keep these on for Moab? Any concensus among the 29in people on the best hook up for slickrock and the general redrock area?

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by HHL
    I noticed you had Kenda Klaws on your earlier ride. Did you keep these on for Moab? Any concensus among the 29in people on the best hook up for slickrock and the general redrock area?
    I rode the Klaws for Moab. I thought they worked great in the sand and on the slickrock. I was able to ride some of the sand pits that others were walking, I don't know if this was because of they type of tire, or because of the size (diameter) of the tire...

My only complaint about the Klaws is the front tire sometimes washes out on steep cambered rock (doesn't stick) unless the pressure is really low, too low for my riding style, but I don't know if any other tire would do any better.

Overall I like the tires...

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I would go Nano in a heartbeat. So much rubber connection to the ground.

jl
    climb
    Padre, I agree with you if you are planning on avoiding the sand at Moab. The 24-hour Moab coarse has a LOT of sand. That's why I went with the Klaws. The Nanos are good, but I don't think they are as good in the sand.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Padre, I agree with you if you are planning on avoiding the sand at Moab. The 24-hour Moab coarse has a LOT of sand. That's why I went with the Klaws. The Nanos are good, but I don't think they are as good in the sand.
    IME, the Nano's float much better over sand.

Recovering couch patato
    I can't imagine anything better for Sand than Nano's, except if they made 29" Fast Fred 2.35's. Notos is not too bad, as a rear.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

jl
    climb
    OK guys, I'll try them in March ...

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004

Nano

I'll try and find some nanos to take along this summer as well. Thank you all for the advice. I was looking at a Moab site and they said nothing with too big and wobbly a side knob. Nanos would fall in that category. jl, do you suppose that is why the kenda front washed out on you a little?

jl
    climb
    I'll try and find some nanos to take along this summer as well. Thank you all for the advice. I was looking at a Moab site and they said nothing with too big and wobbly a side knob. Nanos would fall in that category. jl, do you suppose that is why the kenda front washed out on you a little?
    Kenda knobs could be the problem on the slick rock. I bought the klaws because I think the are better for CO (where I live). I might get some nanos to try in the spring in Moab ...