Lenz Behemoth teaser pics- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Lenz Behemoth teaser pics

I started this build in March of 2010 - 2 yrs ago I didnt know what a bottom bracket, iscg tabs or headsets were
    I built this bike to learn about the bicycle industry as I am intimately familiar with the motorcycle industry - how much different they could be I thought - very different indeed! two wheels & the similarities stop there

While waiting on my wheels to finish my build - here are some teaser pics....
    I am anxiously waiting to ride this thing to see if it was worth all the trouble & hassles which I will get into later
    If I deem it not worthy I will sell it!

Expert Crasher
    nice teaser......would look cool with some of those snow camo MTX33 rims mikesee had.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

WNC Native
    Agreed, it would look good with those snow camo rims! Definitely interested in see the final results.
    I'm thinking about doing a similar 29er FS build project over the next couple years as well.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member

9 months later

I'll make this short & sweet-
    Will I build a Bimota of the biking world - NO!
    When an originally quoted delivery time turns from 6-10 weeks to 6 months - failure to understand your buisiness is in place
    When an originally quoted 2 week delivery time turns from 2 weeks to 3 months - failure to understand your buisiness is in place

I purshased a 2000 dollar frame right or wrong on the premise it was Hammerschmitd compatible - I was told it was compatible - It was not! Due to the 150mm rear end spacing of the swingarm. Some custom machining later I was able to mate the HS system to the bike but voiding the warranty on the HS & long term reliability which was one of my main build goals is still out for jury decision

After 9 months I finally have this bike together. I ordered from just about every major known online dealer & while some were slower shipping than others I had no issues whatsoever - now the frame & wheels.....

Will I build another bike like this - NO!
    I will buy a complete bike from the LBS

It rides great & is an absolute hoot to ride - that is somewhat dulled by the absolute pain in the ass it was to get the parts I needed.

I'll post a thorough ride review once I get some time on it.
    If you want my advice - visit your LBS & just buy a complete bike & RIDE!

This is my first bike built (& most likely my last) so build critics are welcome

yeah the HS kicks ass

I'll try to coherce the GF for some action shots this weekend...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    looks good.

building up your own custom bike is usually pretty straightforward. there are plenty of good retailers who are honest about part availability, and get you what you need in a few days max.

as for being mislead about HS compatibility, that's one of those rare screwups. did you ask on this forum as well prior to the purchase?
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I think it was the pink cables that jinxed you.
    Only bikes with black cables are Hammerschmidt compatible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi
    I think it was the pink cables that jinxed you.
    Only bikes with black cables are Hammerschmidt compatible.

I chose the Pink Jagwire because I support the boobies - few things in life bring a smile to my face like a nice firm rack!

ride more
    Mar 2007
    It might have been a pain, but it looks great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    About time you got that pos put together. Hope you love it.

mtbr member
    Just a quick ride report

I spent at least an hour realizing the increased stiffness of the entire bike reprogramming my brain that I could just make the bike stick in loose corners with no recourse.

I will not ride a mountain bike without a HS system - period - its that good
    believe the marketing video & forget about the nominal weight or aditional drag in Overdrive
    its "good" weight low & between the axles

the formula RX brakes are good the organic pads squeal a bit & the levers need more adjustment - have plenty of power & modulation

the saint deraillur - just works with solid shift changes

hadley hubs - the whirring from the rear at first had me looking back thinking I had a air leak...
    smooth
    the wheel build with Flow rims is stupid light! very stiff well made - no issues

WTB prowler tires worked well in my local conditions - happy with them - though I may swap the front for somthing with better side bite

I need a RS Reverb - !

the suspension RS air & RP23 - set the sag & go
    going down I feel I'm leaving some on the table with the fork though
    what I really need is a 120-160mm Talas - FOX ARE YOU LISTENING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive rode enough 29er bikes Big S, Niner, Fisher to know this bike really is somthing special.
    It does not feel like a truck, you are not sitting on top,
    It feels like my 26in bike -
    it climbs excellent but the front is easy to loft over stuff
    the bike is very lively

I think I have succeeded in building what I had envisioned.
    An all Day ALL Mtn bike that is as much fun to go up as go down & works well in the slow technical stuff
    that I can ride all day & explore while riding with a smile on my face without technical issues

was it worth all the build hassles - NO
    would I build it again - NO
    will I sell it - NO

1 things I would change with the build

I would put a taper head tube - for the CC angleset to slack out the steering 1degree also increasing my fork choices

Ride Well

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicman
    Ive rode enough 29er bikes Big S, Niner, Fisher to know this bike really is somthing special.
    It seems the Kool Aid has finally sunk in. It is all about the ride. Bummer about the hassles in the build.

Comments:

1. I love that finish. It looks great.
    2. I run my HS cable down the DT. It seems like a straighter shot than what you are doing.
    3. Are you running a 140mm or 120mm fork? The frame will handle either nicely with each having a bit different personality.
    4. Forget the Reverb and get a Gravity Dropper. If your Seat tube is 30.9 ID, they have a very nice 5" drop post now.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    White brothers makes longer travel forks if you're seriously wanting one

http://www.whitebrotherscycling.com/29er.shtml

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    4. Forget the Reverb and get a Gravity Dropper. If your Seat tube is 30.9 ID, they have a very nice 5" drop post now.
    Enel, how easy is the Gravity Dropper to rebuild? I've been avoiding buying a dropper post simply because I don't want ANOTHER "shock" that needs a rebuild every offseason If it's something I could rebuild on my coffee table while watching Sexpo, I mean, Sportscenter, I would go out and buy one today