Lenz: 1st Ride Report- Mtbr.com
    Recovering Weight Weenie

Lenz: 1st Ride Report

18 mile loop (Approx. 10 miles of climbing)
    8:30am 60-65 degrees and overcast

Left the car feeling fast....wow...rocket ship fast..after about a mile...last Saturday's ride began to bring the reality back to my legs....

Settled in to the grind, that didn't take long as the fit on the bike is spot on. I may move the saddle forward about 5mm to make it perfect.

The first few miles is a slight incline paved road...finding the "right gear" was challenging as the SS figures that out for me the 99% of the time I ride this trail...

The first incline is no less than 25% and goes up for the good part of a mile...I laughed out loud as a putted along in 1x2 (24x32) with my heart rate easily in the 120-140 range...On the SS, that is a lung spinner (for me). My wife's HR on that climb last week was about 160...and she's in GREAT shape.

That said, the position on the bike was great. The long rear end made it climb sweetly and steadily with a front wheel not prone to wobbling.

Hitting the dirt was fun, not having to unweight the saddle for little trail indentions..Ahhhhh, suspension fore AND aft. It's been a while....

Okay..the whole ride like that would take FOREVER..here's my basic estimation from the 2hours I spent on the bike today....

Things that made me say, "Wow, this is great!"
    * The fit...like Mikesee said..the bike just fits...
    * The rear end...stiff as heck, but compliant...still playing with the Fox RP3, but count me impressed for now..Most squishies leave me yearning for a HT, but not this one.
    * Agility, yes, it's long, limo long at 45" + for the WB...but it still is flickable and lifting the front up and over something requires but a little body english and arm strength.
    * Adjustment time..you know, the time it takes to gets used to how a bike acts....in my case about 30 seconds..felt like a bike I'd been on for years..
    * Descending....I was able to point and shoot without even thinking about the bike I was riding. even w/ only 2" of travel, that bike just went! Threw it into corners, hung it out, and it stayed with me. Very impressive.
    * 29" wheels rule. So fast, so steady.
    * 36 spoke rims/hubs are S-T-I-F-F stiff!

Thing that made me say, "Dang it, that kind of sucks."
    * Rear brake cable routing...not even close to a deal breaker, but noteworthy.

giddy up!
    Your fork situation will be remedied on friday:-)

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    Your fork situation will be remedied on friday:-)

B
    Ha..
    Ha ha ha....
    Mwa hahahahahhaah......

Frame Building Moderator

Rear pivots?

Padre -

Sounds sweet. I've got a couple friends who want to go 29er but want FS - trying to decide whether or not to recommend the Lenz. I recently went riding with a couple of folks on Lenzs (26") who had had unbelieveable problems with bushing (bearing? I don't know which) slop on the rear ends of their bikes. One fellow could move his rear triangle laterally several degrees with just his hand and stated that after numerous fixes he had just decided to live with it. Not too cool, but those were older frames.

If you can, drop me a line after you have a few months of good hard riding (which, from what I've heard, is the only kind you do...) on that sucker. I'd love to send some business Devin's way.

-Walt

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt
    Padre -

Sounds sweet. I've got a couple friends who want to go 29er but want FS - trying to decide whether or not to recommend the Lenz. I recently went riding with a couple of folks on Lenzs (26") who had had unbelieveable problems with bushing (bearing? I don't know which) slop on the rear ends of their bikes. One fellow could move his rear triangle laterally several degrees with just his hand and stated that after numerous fixes he had just decided to live with it. Not too cool, but those were older frames.

If you can, drop me a line after you have a few months of good hard riding (which, from what I've heard, is the only kind you do...) on that sucker. I'd love to send some business Devin's way.

-Walt
    Hmmm...I'll keep my eyes, ehr, fingers out. Yeah, I'll keep up on that issue, but for now, it's stiff as heck. Mikesee has tons o' miles on his and has yet to report on any slop. Time will tell.

paintbucket
    Cut to the chase. Does it give you wood? Do chicks dig it?
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Oh yes..I forgot to add a report on the DT Swiss FR hubs...

They have the engagement of a King without any noise...Hmmmm..

Dec 2004

Smile

Padre,

Stay off the Santiago TT and take that rig down Joplin! Let's see how it is in the rocky stuff.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by dzanella
    Padre,

Stay off the Santiago TT and take that rig down Joplin! Let's see how it is in the rocky stuff.
    Will do! Let me get that 4" fork on it...and get past the VQ, and it's a date!
    You can ride the Vulture....