lefty on my 29er advice?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

lefty on my 29er advice?

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a used lefty on my xl soma juice. I find the 09 reba too flexy.

Anybody got any good advice for what to look for? They have been making them for it seems like over ten years. I know I have to get a travel limiter spacer of some sort and also the headset adapter to run it at 1 1/8. Any particular years or models have the best damping? and what should I avoid? for the best cost.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    DLR or DLR2 110mm alloy is your best bet. The Lefty Max are 140mm but lack lockout.

The DLR and DLR2's can be shimmed easily with plastic spacers to 80mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Tks apacherider,
    I interpret the left max won't work even if I don't care about lockout?
    How is the height of the head tube handled?
    And are the much older ones not advised?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    http://bigwheeldeals.blogspot.com/
    Scroll down and buy that one if it's still available.
    The only real concern is having too tall of a head tube, which shouldn't be an issue.
    Just run spacers between the top crown and the headset to get the head tube + headset height correct.

ballbuster

So how is it, real world?

Quote Originally Posted by drdre
    Hi, I'm thinking about getting a used lefty on my xl soma juice. I find the 09 reba too flexy.

Anybody got any good advice for what to look for? They have been making them for it seems like over ten years. I know I have to get a travel limiter spacer of some sort and also the headset adapter to run it at 1 1/8. Any particular years or models have the best damping? and what should I avoid? for the best cost.

Thanks!
    I have a bud who bought one off fleabay. He did the whole adapter, travel reduction, and built a wheel and everything. He said he loved it when it worked. Its crazy light, stiff, response to small and big hits is super fast. But it developed leaks all the time and puked its guts out on a regular basis. He still has it in his garage, but he feels bad about selling it to anybody. He doesn't want to dump his lemon on somebody else. He's an excellent mechanic, so I don't think that is the issue.

Is his case isolated, or are they just more of a PITA than your average fork?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I was very interested in buying a Left until fairly recently but after researching them I've come to the conclusion that they're just too high maintenance for me so won't buy one largely for that reason. But also, because I can't run a front dynamo with the hub (AFAIK).

So ... I'd say your friend's experience isn't an isolated one.

mtbr member
    Tks apacherider,
    I interpret the left max won't work even if I don't care about lockout?
    How is the height of the head tube handled?
    And are the much older ones not advised?
    The Lefty Max's will work, they are the easiest to throw a travel limiter into. They do not have a lockout, and I believe all the older Lefty Max's are coil forks which have a super nice ride, though you might have to get the proper spring for your weight. They made them in 140mm, 130mm, 120mm, and even the Jake at 100mm looks to have the same coil setup.

I loved mine but hated the pedal bob going uphill. So it is sitting in my garage right now. But I was running it on a singlespeed so I stood and mashed a lot.

Height of head tube? Are you referring to the need to limit the travel to keep the tire from hitting the bottom clamp?

Additionally I have several older DLRs in different version (Ti lower, Steel lower) which all work fine, no issues like those that pimpbot described. In dome frames with short head tubes you could run the bottom clamp up enough to clear smaller tires like a Bonty ACX. Limiting the travel is stupid easy BUT you need the proper C-Dale castle tool thingy to pull the cartridge out enough to pop the spacers on. There are two version of the tool which depend on which Lefty DLR you have too...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes
    I was very interested in buying a Left until fairly recently but after researching them I've come to the conclusion that they're just too high maintenance for me so won't buy one largely for that reason. But also, because I can't run a front dynamo with the hub (AFAIK).

So ... I'd say your friend's experience isn't an isolated one.
    TRue, there is no dyno-hub that I know of for a Lefty.

What and where did you do that research? Which Lefty model were you looking at? And what is 'too high maintenance' for you? Are you referring to bearing migration?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by marty_hd
    TRue, there is no dyno-hub that I know of for a Lefty.
    That's what I thought.

What and where did you do that research?
    Various online forums/reviews.

Which Lefty model were you looking at?
    Various.

And what is 'too high maintenance' for you?
    Anything requiring more maintenance than the typical Rock Shox SID.

Are you referring to bearing migration?
    I don't know what it's called. But I've read that the needle bearings tend to disintegrate after a relatively short period & that, due to the design, water ingress is a problem & therefore so is rusting of the internals.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes
    I've read that the needle bearings tend to disintegrate after a relatively short period & that, due to the design, water ingress is a problem & therefore so is rusting of the internals.
    Hmmm.... while I do not discount the possibility that people have had that happen to them and then wrote reviews in various places I really think that it is exaggerated, I have been riding various Lefties in Germany where you can get some serious crappy weather and aside of clipping the zipties on the boot and regreasing the flat parts where the bearings roll I have not really done anything 'high maintenance' nor have noticed any bad effects of weather over years.

I just find it odd that I am having a streak of really good luck with my Lefties if they really are that prone to issues.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    marty_hd,

How often how are you having to regrease the bearings? After every wet weather ride? And is your riding done off-road? Sorry, had to ask, as some riders spend more time on-road than off-road on their ATBs. Nothing wrong with that, it's just that off-road is a tougher environment. Just as a full season of racing probably equates to a lifetime of use for the average ATBer.

Definitely like the concept of the Lefty but am unwilling to shell out the bucks to be potentially disappointed with the 'potential' increased maintenance requirements.

Basically it boils down to: I just don't like putting parts on my bike that potentially need 'babying'.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Marty_hd,
    I was referring to setting the length of the whole shock. I would guess that a the 100,120 and 140 travel shock would each be a different length and you'd then have to compensate somehow to get the bikes height correct. Words of wisdom?

Also, any advice on the dampening systems? I note standard, then tpc which I think is a manitou thing, then tpc seems to get replaced back with in house. Are they all good?

USED2COULD
    Hmmm.... while I do not discount the possibility that people have had that happen to them and then wrote reviews in various places I really think that it is exaggerated, I have been riding various Lefties in Germany where you can get some serious crappy weather and aside of clipping the zipties on the boot and regreasing the flat parts where the bearings roll I have not really done anything 'high maintenance' nor have noticed any bad effects of weather over years.

I just find it odd that I am having a streak of really good luck with my Lefties if they really are that prone to issues.
    I have a similar experience marty_hd,
    I've had a Carbon DLR2 for 4 seasons (since Jan 06), and I now have an '09 OPI Carbon SL.

My DLR2 has been really good, requiring bearing migration about twice a season (it is a 3 minute job to any one interested, I spend more time each week setting air in my tires.)

As to another poster who asked about how often do you grease the bearing races, I have done that a grand total of ONCE on my DLR2, after a really nasty muddy 24 hour race.
    They were still clean, and rust free.

Ridding two Cannondale's I'm on that forum a lot, so you hear all kinds of stories, and there are lots of fans (obviously) willing to preach the Lefty gospel.
    <Insert Quiver>

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Two lefty's over the past 6 years. 2 rides a week. 190lbs. heavy hitter.
    Bearing migration happens, but is a 3 minute fix every month or so if you get fanatical aboiut it. If its set just right it doesnt happen.
    I had each one serviced once and just rode the rest of the time.
    If they made a 29er version in 140mm Id have that no problem.
    Cant remember the first one but the last one on my prohet was lefty carbon max spv 140....that thing was plush.
    R.I.P 26ers....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm so close to being all answered. . . puhhleeze?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If you want that info, you'll want to search or post in the cannondale forum, as here you'll get a mix of people insulting / defending the lefty, rather than the group of people that work on them and know a lot.

Is the lefty more work? Yes. Do normal forks require bi-annual maintenance as well? Yes.

Bearing migration is a small price to pay for the feel, and if it's too much effort for you, you shouldn't own a lefty. The strut is superior - stiffer, lighter, smoother, etc. but it comes at a price right, so pay it or miss out I suppose. I would highly recommend it - it feels great, but it has more parts and they need some service - so be prepared for that and don't whine
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

shock length

[QUOTE=drdre]Marty_hd,
    I was referring to setting the length of the whole shock. I would guess that a the 100,120 and 140 travel shock would each be a different length and you'd then have to compensate somehow to get the bikes height correct. Words of wisdom?

Haven't made the switch yet, have all the parts/lefty in the garage waiting for a day off. It's my understanding that the a-c measurements don't change only the travel. so for a 120mm 26 in Lefty converted to a 29er lefty would have a travel of 120mm-30mm(spacer) for a 90mm travel 29er lefty with the same axle to crown measurement. from what i've gathered the travel limiting can be as little as 15mm-20mm but that is on a case by case basis and needs to be tested before riding to ensure the bottom clamp and crown don't hit the tire. this will vary with tire/rim combos and the risk tolerance of the rider. I'll try to post pics when I make the conversion. got the spacer from craig at mendon cyclesmith, . great guy, super helpfull. please if i've mixed this up in anyway feel free to correct it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Looks to me, Sometimes, you have made up your mind about the Lefty and issues you don't want to deal with. If that is the case, stop posting and get another fork that you will be happier with. The only one I know that fits your bill would be a rigid steel fork. Except that I have read that they bend if you run into curb, roots, and that might make the rigid fork too dangerous and unreliable for you to use....

Marty is a frequent poster about the Leftys and uses them extensively. His knowledge and help is (IMO) about the leftys is better than most. He does ride them very much off road in some of the worst weather Germany has to offer and if the leftys he rides don't fall apart when he looks at them, pretty much as you seem to think, they likely won't where you ride.

I don't question your knowledge, or lack there of, and the amount or your ability and location of your riding, as I am giving you the benefit of the doubt, that you do and have for some time ridden, please do the same to those that post on the forum.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Fork travel is set by, and tied to, A to C. By reducing travel, you stop it sooner, you don't drop A to C at all.

You buy a 140 Max, it's gonna be 510mm A to C whether it's at 140, or reduced to 110 for a 29er application.

Dampers depend on vintage, and model. The Max's (older version) got FFD, TPC and SPV in that order, ascending $ wise. The older DLR's were "House brand" but different than the DLR2's mechanically, which are still home grown. Fast forward to the last few years, and Fox enters the game, Manitou leaves, and the models expand.

If you have specific questions on certain models, ask away, otherwise, I'll be here all day
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for responding MCS,
    So, this is the target bike http://www.somafab.com/juice29.html which seems to be looking for a 465 mm http://www.interlocracing.com/forks.html fork. Looking at the reba sl here http://www.bikebling.com/ProductDeta...-SL-Pushloc-29, I'm noting its 486 to 506mm. Its looking vaguely like the lefty might be on the tall side which I find strange considering its from a 26er. . . Hmm.

How does this compare to any other conversions your aware of?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Do they make a carbon 140 lefty? Can you buy these forks brand new somewhere? Sorry if this has already been answered..Thanks..CF.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    Do they make a carbon 140 lefty? Can you buy these forks brand new somewhere? Sorry if this has already been answered..Thanks..CF.
    Yep, Max 140's in carbon have been around for several years. New, talk to anyone who sells Cannondale, but the 130 is the longest you're likely to get right now in the new crop

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Thanks for responding MCS
    The Juice wants a 465mm fork? Best bet would be to pick up an older DLR @ 480. Bullet proof, and cheaper too. Not sure what you mean on the conversions question???

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Yep, Max 140's in carbon have been around for several years. New, talk to anyone who sells Cannondale, but the 130 is the longest you're likely to get right now in the new crop
    Do you know where to find a 130 or 140 carbon lefty? (29er of course) I know you know your stuff when it comes to the lefty..Having said this what is it about the Lefty's you find so appealing? Thanks MCS.................CF.

Dog is my co-pilot
    while were on the subject of leftys i noticed that the 2010 carbon max 140 pbr on cannondales web site is shown to have a push button on lockout. does that mean it has a lockout or not?
    race bicycles not dogs

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    That is what the recommended ird fork seems to be sized to.

I was wondering if you've experienced any lefty 29er conversions that threw the bike off balance?

So, pretty much, I'm looking at 200$ for the 321 adapter, at least 300 for a used lefty w hub? then 100 for rim and spokes.

Sigh. Its already a bit out of my budget.

That is what the recommended ird fork seems to be sized to.

I was wondering if you've experienced any lefty 29er conversions that threw the bike off balance?

So, pretty much, I'm looking at 200$ for the 321 adapter, at least 300 for a used lefty w hub? then 100 for rim and spokes.

Sigh. Its already a bit out of my budget.
    Not due to it being a lefty, no. If it was way taller than the proper fork A to C, sure, any fork would unbalance a bike.

If 600 bones is beyond budget, yeah, a Lefty may not be in the cards. New ones are over a grand all on their own.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Do you know where to find a 130 or 140 carbon lefty? (29er of course) I know you know your stuff when it comes to the lefty..Having said this what is it about the Lefty's you find so appealing? Thanks MCS.................CF.
    Yep.

I like 'em because they are so rebuildable. All the sliding surfaces can be easily replaced, cheaply, and for me, without sending it away, or buying a new tool every two years as specs, standards and ideas change. They are also a fair bit stiffer than many other forks in, or around their class. I'm also just a sucker for a cool looking bike part, particularly when they also work so darn well.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2006

Thanks MCS,

Yep.

I like 'em because they are so rebuildable. All the sliding surfaces can be easily replaced, cheaply, and for me, without sending it away, or buying a new tool every two years as specs, standards and ideas change. They are also a fair bit stiffer than many other forks in, or around their class. I'm also just a sucker for a cool looking bike part, particularly when they also work so darn well.
    Thanks for the reply MCS..I would have a very very hard time dropping over a grand for one of these forks..I am one of the lucky one's that I get most of my bike stuff for free or at least @ cost.( and for this I am ALWAYS very greatfull) but with out a C-Dale hook-up that's a lot of green for that fork..Is there a place that sells Lefty's other than through C-Dale? If so where? If not what would someone have to do just go to a C-dale dealer and buy one from them? Sorry for all the questions it's just that I've never seen a store or web-retailer that stock's and sells Lefty's....I am so with you on being a "Sucker for a cool looking bike part" Huh, more than you'll ever know. . CF.

Thanks for the reply MCS..
    Check your PMs...

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Check your PMs...

Ditto................................Thanks....... ................CF.

Members who have read this thread: 0