Leadville Results- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Leadville Results

Don't know what this says about 29ers or HT vs FS or roadie or mtn but here's who won http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/lea...0-ne-1/results , cycling dirt has some great footage from the climbs if any one's interested.
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

mtbr member
    12 minutes better...Wow! I've always liked that guy.
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

Stokeless Asshat
    And Weins was only 2 minutes off of Armstrong's record from last year. These guys were hauling butt.Was the women's winner on a 29"er?
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    And Weins was only 2 minutes off of Armstrong's record from last year. These guys were hauling butt.Was the women's winner on a 29"er?
    She was last year (Stumpy S-Works 29er) but I haven't seen any photos of her or her ride (she still rides for Specialized) from this year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reydin
    She was last year (Stumpy S-Works 29er) but I haven't seen any photos of her or her ride (she still rides for Specialized) from this year.

mtbr member
    here is a youtube video from the Leadville race. I think Levi won using a Trek Top Fuel. JHK and Wells were on 29ers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlUdf0Kzg74
    Got LEFTY?
    -2019 C'dale SuperSlateX
    -2017 C’dale Scalpel Carbon 3
    -2014 C’dale Bad Boy 1

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-bar
    here is a youtube video from the Leadville race. I think Levi won using a Trek Top Fuel. JHK and Wells were on 29ers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlUdf0Kzg74
    Yep Wells on the Sworks Epic 29er:

mtbr member
    thanks for the video. That looks like a great race.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    , cycling dirt has some great footage from the climbs if any one's interested.
    that's precisely what i wanted to see...the climbs with fisher 29ers! i went to cycling dirt under the videos & coverage section. i found interviews for leadville 100 but i didn't see any footage of people climbing. any chance you can provide me a link? i'd really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by common_man
    that's precisely what i wanted to see...the climbs with fisher 29ers! i went to cycling dirt under the videos & coverage section. i found interviews for leadville 100 but i didn't see any footage of people climbing. any chance you can provide me a link? i'd really appreciate it.
    Sorry about that, the footage is at Velo News/Single track.com which has cycling dirt as the source. Go to the Singletrack.com Leadville 100 video window, it's the 4th video in, after Levi passes there's good extended footage of JHk the Todd W. if you want to compare.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    hey thanks a lot! i'm watching the video right now. great footage indeed! i'll check out the other videos too.

edit: i know i'm being greedy. that was 2 minutes long. do we have more footage of the climbs? either way, really great to see the video. they should have put this on tv. would make it more popular too.
    Last edited by common_man; 08-15-2010 at 09:38 AM.

poser Administrator
    Here a big screw you to Levi Leipheimer: he said in his post race report that he couldn't believe how hard it was and he wished it was over from within 2 hrs in.

Hey levi thanks for wishing something that some people spend a year training for was over before you started and won it. If you didn't know what you were getting into try riding an f-ing mountain bike before you show up and desecrate a race with your TDF fitness.

Just cause you are fast and you win does not make you one of us and you took a real victory from a well deserved group of actual mountain bikers. Poser. GTFO.

Any last respect I had for you is now erased.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Newt Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    Here a big screw you to Levi Leipheimer: he said in his post race report that he couldn't believe how hard it was and he wished it was over from within 2 hrs in.

Hey levi thanks for wishing something that some people spend a year training for was over before you started and won it. If you didn't know what you were getting into try riding an f-ing mountain bike before you show up and desecrate a race with your TDF fitness.

Just cause you are fast and you win does not make you one of us and you took a real victory from a well deserved group of actual mountain bikers. Poser. GTFO.

Yikes. Someone needs a nap.

The fastest man won. That is the way it is. Good job, Levi! Congrats.
    Yes, steel is most certainly stronger than aluminum EVERY time.
    ~Frosty Struthers

mtbr member
    Well ok then RC, tell us how you really feel. Btw Levi's been on a mountain bike at least once before
    Last edited by reydin; 08-15-2010 at 10:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    i won't take his words literally. maybe he was trying to give a backhand compliment to the rigors of the race. maybe he was trying to say that it was such a grueling battle that he wished it be over soon.

i'm a newbie to all this so i don't know how mtn bike racers feel but...i'm happy to see new contestants raise the bar for fitness. i believe mountain bike riders can be just as fit as riders in the tour de france.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Wow.

30-ton War Machine
    Holy hell, have you never gone on a ride before that whupped your butt and you "wished" it was over half-way through????? Geez bro...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Alllrighty.

It's kind of funny that you have a tag line that reads "You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear... "

Rusting Steel
    Anyone have any word on the Wells/Leipheimer crash on powerline descent? According to reports Wells had to take a wheel from Overend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Sorry about that, the footage is at Velo News/Single track.com which has cycling dirt as the source. Go to the Singletrack.com Leadville 100 video window, it's the 4th video in, after Levi passes there's good extended footage of JHk the Todd W. if you want to compare.
    if you guys find more footage of the climbs besides the 2 minute video reydin has kindly mentioned above, please let me know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

::Golf clap::

FVCK the whiny Euro ProTour dopers. I can't wait till they all get popped. This FDA guy is the same guy that took down Balco, Barry Bonds, etc... It's just a matter of time before the truth comes out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Time for you to enter the TDF and kick some moderating butt!

It was a good fast race. That's what racing is about.
    2nd place is the first loser and all that...

mtbr member

Hey what that is all about

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    ^^ well i respect the man for honestly saying how he feels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Someone should tell a moderator about this thread before it gets ugly.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

Spear & Magic Helmet

Wow. You're a mod? You're supposed to be judging others content? I'm just assuming you're having a bad day.

Read previous interviews with Levi and he talks about mountain bike riding with his friends in the off season. I recall an article from 2007 or so talking about just that. He didn't take a victory from anyone, deserving or not. He's a bike rider and he won a bike race. JHK pushed him hard and he still won. Earned.

Newt Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGray
    Wow. You're a mod? You're supposed to be judging others content? I'm just assuming you're having a bad day.
    What does his being a mod have to do with anything? The post was perfectly fine and nothing needs to be "judged". I was happy to get his opinion on the issue. His is not mine, but I respect it.
    ~Frosty Struthers

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    "desecrate the race with post tdf fitness" that is pure psycho-babble but funny.

Back to the race JHK was on the new superfly with XX group+ xx fork, tires were 29-0
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.

slow uphill

This is a personal attack.

Ban yourself.

mtbr member
    Hi,

Not very familiar with what you guys in US are doing racing wise but looks like main problem on this one is altitude and lenght.
    Judging by the vid not exactly technical one...

Cheers!
    I.
    LoMF syndrome...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by prphoto
    Back to the race JHK was on the new superfly with XX group+ xx fork, tires were 29-0

i'd love to see it but the geniuses at leadville didn't televise it! wtf! hey, i know it's expensive to broadcast things but it's 2010 and it's America! how are we going to keep up in the work force if our people are suffering from an endemic of overweight? wee NEED to promote sports like cycling. if people saw it on TV they'd want to grab their mountain bike or buy one and hit some hills. it was my good fortune that someone gave me a bicycle as a gift. i got hooked and now ride almost every day during the summer. once i get my mountain bike i'll ride for even more months.

anyway, i' very disappointed. i wanted to see the pro's in action and wanted to see them do big hills and show off their skills and see what the courses are like at leadville. i'm a complete newbie to all this. how do trek & specialized promote their stuff to the general public / common man like me if they don't support and show these races on TV?

the 2 minute video of JHK riding the bike (and later on riding upright with no pedals) helped me to feel happy about my decision to spend $1200 on genesis 2 geometry when i too hope to do a lot of climbing to strengthen my heart & improve my fitness! quite a few people on the forum indicated that the g2's slack geometry meant unstable, floppy handling during steep, slow, technical climbs. good to see jhk's bike perform just as well as tod wells' specialized during the climbs.

in fact, now i need to call up trek and ask about this. i don't want to write & read about bikes! i want to see them in action! i want to try them! aaarrrrrgggg! trek won't be coming within a 2 hours radius from me until october 24 for demo day.

[end of rant]

slow uphill

i'd love to see it but the geniuses at leadville didn't televise it! wtf! hey, i know it's expensive to broadcast things but it's 2010 and it's America! how are we going to keep up in the work force if our people are suffering from an endemic of overweight? wee NEED to promote sports like cycling. if people saw it on TV they'd want to grab their mountain bike and hit some hills. it was my good fortune that someone gave me a bicycle as a gift. i got hooked and now ride almost every day during the summer. once i get my mountain bike i'll ride for even more months.

anyway, i' very disappointed. i wanted to see the pro's in action and wanted to see them do big hills and show off their skills and see what the courses are like at leadville. i'm a complete newbie to all this. how do trek & specialized promote their stuff to the general public / common man like me if they don't support and show these races on TV?

the 2 minute video of JHK riding the bike (and later on riding upright with no pedals) helped me to feel happy about my decision to spend $1200 on genesis 2 geometry when i too hope to do a lot of climbing to strengthen my heart & improve my fitness! quite a few people on the forum indicated that the g2's slack geometry meant unstable, floppy handling during steep, slow, technical climbs. good to see jhk's bike perform just as well as tod wells' specialized during the climbs.

in fact, now i need to call up trek and ask about this. i don't want to write & read about bikes! i want to see them in action! i want to try them! aaarrrrrgggg! trek won't be coming within a 2 hours radius from me until october 24 for demo day.

[end of rant]
    Last year's race is available, I think MSRP for the DVD is $40 or $50. Maybe Lifetime makes more by selling the DVDs and broadcasting it to the members of the pricey gym network. Not sure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by orangedog
    Last year's race is available, I think MSRP for the DVD is $40 or $50. Maybe Lifetime makes more by selling the DVDs and broadcasting it to the members of the pricey gym network. Not sure.
    hey thanks a lot. i'll have to check it out. it's better than nothing. since lance was in the race last year they had some great, 9 minute footage of climbs on youtube. i would have liked to see the latest superfly but it's all good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanMTB
    Hi,

Not very familiar with what you guys in US are doing racing wise but looks like main problem on this one is altitude and lenght.

Cheers!
    I.

Do not judge them all by the L.100

http://www.mudslingerevents.com/moun...-cascades-100/

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    hey thanks a lot. i'll have to check it out. it's better than nothing. since lance was in the race last year they had some great, 9 minute footage of climbs on youtube. i would have liked to see the latest superfly but it's all good.
    If you want to see some good MTB racing go to www.freecaster.com and watch the world cup XCOs. If you watch the Dalby Forest (round 1) you will see a couple of 29ers at the the front.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Former Bike Wrench

Dude...get a little sand in your mangina before that post?

sheesh

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Dude...get a little sand in your mangina before that post?

sheesh
    i take the trouble to force a rant on my own to change the subject and you bring it back up? help a bruthuh out!

mtbr member
    all the pro's should have raced leadville on a single speed.
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Matt
    all the pro's should have raced leadville on a single speed.
    i've never ridden single speed but i imagine that if you had to climb a hill without gearing it would hurt your knees bad! SS is great for cities like nyc or philly which are flat.

mtbr member
    i've never ridden single speed but i imagine that if you had to climb a hill without gearing it would hurt your knees bad! SS is great for cities like nyc or philly which are flat.
    no way!! i live in the big mountains of idaho and the only mtb i have is an ss. i have no knee problems and have never had knee problems. it all comes down to rider technique and gearing. i have ridden parts of the leadville course and it all seems pretty rideable except for the super steep climbs.
    Ride & Smile

Newt Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanMTB
    Hi,

Cheers!
    I.
    Problem? I don't see a problem at all. It is a race. One that is at altitude and is 100 miles. What is the problem?

~Frosty Struthers

Meat Clever

I've got a full water bottle if you wanna wash that sand out of your vajayjay
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

mtbr member
    I would have liked to see Ryder Hesjedal dust off his mountain bike and have a go at Leadville.

is buachail foighneach me

Seriously? Check out the singlespeed forum to read up on where they're ridden with no problems. Then check out northern Manhattan(NYC), which is hilly. Not mountainous by any means, but certainly hilly.

Quote Originally Posted by go-pirates
    I would have liked to see Ryder Hesjedal dust off his mountain bike and have a go at Leadville.

I agree. I would have also said the same about Cadel, but then I saw him cry during the tour and lost a little bit of respect for him.

slow uphill
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    I agree. I would have also said the same about Cadel, but then I saw him cry during the tour and lost a little bit of respect for him.
    Agree on both points. Would've been cool to see Ryder out there. Although if that had happened, I would've found myself in the awkward position of half-heartedly rooting for a Cannuck...

mtbr member
    It's good to see a real biker win, and kick ass on all those posers who call themselves mountain "bikers" because they can't compete in the real biking world.

(That's a joke aimed at grumpy rocky, before you all start whining...)

So, is anyone going to publish the top finishers along with their bike set ups? I would find that VERY interesting. It would sure beat going through the thumbnails with my magnifying glass....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So he beats a bunch of elite mountain bikers so you're whining? Take an effing nap!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Smile

I ride Philly, not so flat ha. I agree about having MTBing on TV instead of mindless Jersey Shore crap!
    1998 GT Palomar, 2009 Gary Fisher Paragon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Esl

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyStruthers
    Problem? I don't see a problem at all. It is a race. One that is at altitude and is 100 miles. What is the problem?

Understand that Ivan's use of the word "problem" is referent to the primary challenge or characteristic of the race. Loose climbs, deadfall, and tricky technical sections could also be described as "problems" on other courses, as could flat fire roads on other courses.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

What? Have you never had a bad ride, or put yourself into discomfort with a hard effort? Elite racing isn't about enjoying the sights along the trail, or splashing through puddles with a smile on your face (This for the rest of us), it hurts.

don't try this at home

lol. wtf are you talking about? Levi rides mtbs quite a bit in the off season. so i don't know what you mean by poser or "actual mountain bikers" - he gets dirty out there like the rest of us.
    will you rep me?

Newt Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlh
    Understand that Ivan's use of the word "problem" is referent to the primary challenge or characteristic of the race. Loose climbs, deadfall, and tricky technical sections could also be described as "problems" on other courses, as could flat fire roads on other courses.
    Ahhh yes. Thank you for that clarification! I needed it.

~Frosty Struthers

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by moschika
    lol. wtf are you talking about? Levi rides mtbs quite a bit in the off season. so i don't know what you mean by poser or "actual mountain bikers" - he gets dirty out there like the rest of us.
    AGREED!!!

Levi is from Butte, Montana if I am not mistaken. I know his brother owns a Bike shop/sporting goods shop there called "The Outdoorsman" or at least used to if it is still in business. So he's been around mtb's since a high school kid.

Anyone ever ridden there in 'ol Butte Montana? It's pretty hard core mtb in some really big mountians. Lots of old mining roads, very loose, very rough, very steep terrain. I've never done it but Butte arguably has one of the toughest 100's called the Butte 100.

Do you guys know anything about Levi?

There is an old TDF interview some years back I remember watching where he said he was a competitive downhill ski racer in school. He started racing bikes and was naturally REALLY good. He was a downhill ski racer and started riding bikes like everyone else does for training. It took off from there.

Downhill ski racers do tend to be good mountain bike racers, you know.................they are REALLY fast at going downhill (duh) and can pick good lines naturally.

HARDLY "just a roadie". He's just a naturally fast dude and great all around athlete.
    Last edited by 2melow; 08-15-2010 at 10:22 PM.
    Front Range Forum Moderator

fan of maple syrup
    I would have also said the same about Cadel, but then I saw him cry during the tour...
    Which time?

Spear & Magic Helmet
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyStruthers
    What does his being a mod have to do with anything? The post was perfectly fine and nothing needs to be "judged". I was happy to get his opinion on the issue. His is not mine, but I respect it.
    I respect that he has his opinion and is free to express it. That it was done with such vitriol for the man (Leipheimer) is what I find objectionable. And yes, a Mod does have something to do with it. Mods have a certain amount of power on these forums and therefore "with great power comes great responsibility."

I dunno, the dude is free to express himself, it just seemed a bit out of left field.

transmitter~receiver

wow.
    earth to rockcrusher: levi is a big mtb rider.
    chill, dood.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

transmitter~receiver
    Don't know what this says about 29ers or HT vs FS or roadie or mtn[...]
    It says fitness is key on a long, very well graded course. I can't figure out why that's a surprise to people.

Newt Guy
    I respect that he has his opinion and is free to express it.
    OK then... we are done here... ohh wait...but I guess we aren't...

That it was done with such vitriol for the man (Leipheimer) is what I find objectionable.
    Ohhh goodness gracious me!!! I guess you will just have to learn to deal with it. That is what one has to do when confronted with opinion that ones finds "objectionable". Maybe you have an argument that would temper his attitude, but we would never know because you haven't brought it up.

And yes, a Mod does have something to do with it. Mods have a certain amount of power on these forums and therefore "with great power comes great responsibility."
    What are you talking about? Responsibility not to present his opinion? Responsibility to not present his opinion in a way that you might find "objectionable"? SO much for the "respect" part of valuing others opinion.

I dunno, the dude is free to express himself, it just seemed a bit out of left field.
    You are right, you "dunno". Maybe the problem isn't him at all. Maybe the problem isn't his opinion. Maybe the problem isn't with how he might have chose to express his opinion. Maybe the problem is the way you react to the mundane worlds of others?

There is no valid reason to try and control another's opinion simply because you find the presentation of that opinion to be objectionable... The correct action to take is to either ignore that opinion or try and change the ideas of the ones that hold that opinion.

Trying to control that opinion is the opposite of what should be done. And that is what you are doing when you mention, "mod". You are trying to control position.. .attitude... and in turn, behavior. For you, power stems from the barell of a gun. For others, power stems from the construction of the mind.

It has nothing to do with a "mod" and everything to do with your attempt to control others opinions with a gun, not with your mind.
    ~Frosty Struthers

Bored Carp
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    AGREED!!!
    I remember watching where he said he was a competitive downhill ski racer in school. He started racing bikes and was naturally REALLY good.

Funny. He actually went to school just down the street from us in SLC and raced for the Rowmark Ski Team. They have a pretty impressive list of athlete alumni:
    http://www.rowlandhall.org/schoollif...ment/index.php

L.L. ended up road racing in Utah at the same time as Swindlehurst and Zabriskie, both of whom are excellent mountain bikers (Swindlehurst had a pretty successful MTB season this year, in addition to some nice road wins). L.L. still comes out here every year to ride MTBs in the Wasatch.

MTB-only racers that can't hold their own against folks that focus more on the road need to question their training schedules, not their competition.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Quoting rockcrusher because everybody else did. FTW.

I think I need to follow this up with "Dude, chill out" or something to that effect.

mtbr member
    Hats off to Ned Overend yesterday. Riding with the pack when LL and TW got tangled up resulting in TW breaking several spokes on his front wheel. Ned swapped him front wheels and continued on to the next feed station where he got a new wheel.
    Leverick

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was...........

Teen Wolf
    stop posting! you keep posting random crap and halfway through state "well, i'm a newb and don't know anything."

OBVIOUSLY

we don't want to read your ignorant posts. go hangout in the beginners forum and learn a couple things, then come back and post something intelligent.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Regarding road vs mountain competition...some people don`t take into consideration that Levi is maybe one of the 10 best GC riders in 3 weeks races while JHK is not even between the 20 best mountain bikers of the world.

Cristoph Sauser would have beaten Levi easily...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by brad h
    ::Golf clap::

FVCK the whiny Euro ProTour dopers. I can't wait till they all get popped. This FDA guy is the same guy that took down Balco, Barry Bonds, etc... It's just a matter of time before the truth comes out.
    And Levi just singed up for Double Boundary!

Moo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    It says fitness is key on a long, very well graded course. I can't figure out why that's a surprise to people.
    I started my post with the sentence you quoted to avoid the whole rider type v rider type bike v bike thing but that didn't last long. To be fair it must be noted that while JHK and Todd Wells are also elite athletes, they both train with a focus on 1 1/2 hour events whereas Levi trains with a focus on 5 to 6 hour events, add to that Levi being a very capable mtn biker and I'd say that every one of those guys did one heck of a job out there and I have to agree with whoever said that they would have liked to see Ryder Hesjedal entered, that would have been a good mix.

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by singletrack.com
    “I almost wish I’d kept the wheel and pulled the plug,” an exhausted Wells said jokingly post race.
    Ya gonna rail on Tee Dub now too?

giddy up!

I rarely post here on MTBR anymore....in large part due to the increasing number of unbelievably idiotic posts.

But.....BUT.......this is hands down the most insane, idiotic, childish, pathetic, illogical bit of reasoning I have ever read on here(and that includes all of Lynx' posts).

Congrats. You had alot of competition for this distinguished award.....but you really earned. Give yourself a pat on the back. Attaboy!

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

JB
    Of course Levi won, Leadville is a road race without (much) pavement. There's no bike handling skills required.

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    The guy rode 205km of the first hard climbing stage with a broken elbow.

Gee, you people are hard to impress!
    2013 Giant XTC Advanced SL0 Carbon
    2011 TCR Advanced SL
    2012 Omnium
    2013 29CX Frankenbike

Quote Originally Posted by KYjelly
    The guy rode 205km of the first hard climbing stage with a broken elbow.

Gee, you people are hard to impress!

He was crying like a little girl, and it wasn't from how hard the effort was, it was from the emotional pain of calling it quits. Baby.

You folks should kick him out of Aus as he's bad for your reputation of being tough as *****. McEwen on the other hand, rules.

SS Chimp
    Quote Originally Posted by C Cow
    And Levi just singed up for Double Boundary!

Moo!
    Oh now there will be hell to pay. You know that the DB is not a mountain bike race, it is a hiking race. You might as well bring a road bike for as much riding as there is. Next thing you know professional endurance runners will be signing up and we all know where that will end up.
    all single...all the time

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    I rarely post here on MTBR anymore....in large part due to the increasing number of unbelievably idiotic posts.

But.....BUT.......this is hands down the most insane, idiotic, childish, pathetic, illogical bit of reasoning I have ever read on here(and that includes all of Lynx' posts).

Congrats. You had alot of competition for this distinguished award.....but you really earned. Give yourself a pat on the back. Attaboy!

B

Since you obviously are just as quick to judge someone by something they have done, except in your case you are judging someone that you know absolutely nothing about vs. the person that I judged whom I based my judgment on what he personally has said on twitter, what other professionals have said about him, what the cycling press has said about him and what he has, and what has been, said about him in the national press. I suggest it is you who has the most distinguish award.

Since you obviously know all about me and my motivations I was wonder what i should say to my friend who waited with bitten nails for her acceptance into this years Leadville, trained for almost a year by herself since none of her friends got picked in the lottery and went on by herself to get a buckle? Plus should I get a pair of dissents to roll on the Salsa or try something less heavy for Arizona gnar?

I was thinking of telling her it was awesome or that i wrote a letter to the editor regarding them missing the point of a local paper that is to point out when a local does something awesome instead of the complaints by a pampered entitled pro. Levi could learn a thing or two about professional conduct from Lance who always appears humble and thankful for any opportunity where he comingles with non-professional and kicks their butts.

I will await your insight into me.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    I think Jeremiah Bishop (5th place) was in a 29er as well (C'dale Flash)

And for the idiot calling out LL - Here's LL destroying some singletrack:

beater
    Since you obviously are just as quick to judge someone by something they have done, except in your case you are judging someone that you know absolutely nothing about vs. the person that I judged whom I based my judgment on what he personally has said on twitter, what other professionals have said about him, what the cycling press has said about him and what he has, and what has been, said about him in the national press. I suggest it is you who has the most distinguish award.

Since you obviously know all about me and my motivations I was wonder what i should say to my friend who waited with bitten nails for her acceptance into this years Leadville, trained for almost a year by herself since none of her friends got picked in the lottery and went on by herself to get a buckle? Plus should I get a pair of dissents to roll on the Salsa or try something less heavy for Arizona gnar?

I was thinking of telling her it was awesome or that i wrote a letter to the editor regarding them missing the point of a local paper that is to point out when a local does something awesome instead of the complaints by a pampered entitled pro. Levi could learn a thing or two about professional conduct from Lance who always appears humble and thankful for any opportunity where he comingles with non-professional and kicks their butts.

Dude, that's just incoherent. I don't remember you coming across that way in other posts. Maybe it's a good idea to back away from the computer when you're that worked up.

FWIW, IMO Donkey was judging your post, not you.

mwb
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive
    Dude, that's just incoherent.

Good....then it's not just me that thinks that.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive
    Dude, that's just incoherent. I don't remember you coming across that way in other posts. Maybe it's a good idea to back away from the computer when you're that worked up.

FWIW, IMO Donkey was judging your post, not you.

is my post not my opinion and does not my opinion define me?
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey

B

I guess since I am coming across as the real donkey on here I will clarify what I am saying.

When as a professional you come to an event that many participants had to join a lottery, get accepted, train their ass off, pay a large entry fee, and race to meet whatever goal they have set for themselves the professional way is to appear is humble in the eyes of these participants.

IMO leipheimer did not appear humble or proud of his accomplishment, just overly glad that it was over. He could use a lesson in humility from Lance Armstrong or Tinker Juarez who regularly show at non-sanctioned non-professional events, spank everyone and anyone and then decorously stand on the podium, act humble, proud of their accomplishments and and respectful of the paying event supporting non-professional participants who have supported the event since before the pro got it in his head that they would contest it and who will support it when the pros find some other thing to flex their muscles over.

I opened my local paper to see Leipheimer saying "...I just couldn't wait for it to be over." when I knew that my friend had ridden it and she didn't want it to be over. For her she prayed for an entry, trained hard for a year, eschewing riding the mountains with the boys to get in her intervals and went and kicked ass getting a buckle as well. But instead of her inspiring story I get the byline that included the above quote that then prattles on about Drugs, Cycling, Landis, Armstrong and all that baggage.

The local non-professional cycling needs professionals to be professionals when they show up to these events. Ambassadors to the world of cycling, instead the article comes across as a pampered pro not enjoying himself and then drugs. Like cycling needs more reinforcement of this stereotype.

So yeah I am chafed that the best thing Levi could come up with is" it was hard I wished it was over." He would serve cycling better by thinking before he gives up sound bites.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

giddy up!

Yup....I'm judging you. So far I feel pretty accurate.

BTW.....I've done Leadville 3 times.....I feel pretty confident I know a thing or two about the race and what goes into training for it/winning it/riding it/wishing it were over. I can completely understand Levi's statement that he wished it was over 2 hours in. I've felt that way every time. I'm pretty sure most racers feel that way in almost every race.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Would it have been better if Levi had said the course was ridiculously easy? That he was never even short of breath? Would that have sounded more "humble" or "professional"? Seems the opposite to me.

giddy up!
    I guess since I am coming across as the real donkey on here I will clarify what I am saying.

When as a professional you come to an event that many participants had to join a lottery, get accepted, train their ass off, pay a large entry fee, and race to meet whatever goal they have set for themselves the professional way is to appear is humble in the eyes of these participants.

IMO leipheimer did not appear humble or proud of his accomplishment, just overly glad that it was over. He could use a lesson in humility from Lance Armstrong or Tinker Juarez who regularly show at non-sanctioned non-professional events, spank everyone and anyone and then decorously stand on the podium, act humble, proud of their accomplishments and and respectful of the paying event supporting non-professional participants who have supported the event since before the pro got it in his head that they would contest it and who will support it when the pros find some other thing to flex their muscles over.

I opened my local paper to see Leipheimer saying "...I just couldn't wait for it to be over." when I knew that my friend had ridden it and she didn't want it to be over. For her she prayed for an entry, trained hard for a year, eschewing riding the mountains with the boys to get in her intervals and went and kicked ass getting a buckle as well. But instead of her inspiring story I get the byline that included the above quote that then prattles on about Drugs, Cycling, Landis, Armstrong and all that baggage.

The local non-professional cycling needs professionals to be professionals when they show up to these events. Ambassadors to the world of cycling, instead the article comes across as a pampered pro not enjoying himself and then drugs. Like cycling needs more reinforcement of this stereotype.

So yeah I am chafed that the best thing Levi could come up with is" it was hard I wished it was over." He would serve cycling better by thinking before he gives up sound bites.
    Clearly you weren't at the Leadville awards ceremony in 08....you'd have a completely different opinion of Armstrong if you had.

Anywho.....no more from me.
    Last edited by donkey; 08-17-2010 at 09:25 AM.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mwb
    mtbr member
    Leipheimer saying "...I just couldn't wait for it to be over."
    So what?

I've heard a lot of pros say the same thing, about a lot of races, in numerous interviews.

Because he didn't feel the same way about it as your friend did he's a jerk?

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mwb
    So what?

I've heard a lot of pros say the same thing, about a lot of races, in numerous interviews.

Because he didn't feel the same way about it as your friend did he's a jerk?

Yeah I got nothing.

Sorry i don't like Leipheimer. Wished Wells had won, there is an ex-tucsonan I can stand behind.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by leverick
    Hats off to Ned Overend yesterday. Riding with the pack when LL and TW got tangled up resulting in TW breaking several spokes on his front wheel. Ned swapped him front wheels and continued on to the next feed station where he got a new wheel.
    That is the ultimate old school mountain bike racer there. Ned is the man, bar none. To think in the old days schwinn fired him as a racer only for him to go on and be the most dominant man on 2 wheels in the dirt pro arena for years for specialized. Specialized still here schwinn as we know it gone. Coincidence? I think not.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    OK, lets all get back to work now. LL won, lets see what next year brings? I would really enjoy seeing some of the top WC Euro guys showing up, that would make it even more interesting!
    Leverick

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

I'm still trying to figure out how tire choice for the Salsa fits into the rest of the rant...

mtbr member
    I think Levi is pretty humble about it in this post interview. He said it was "torture" and he gives great respect to JHK when he come in to the scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQqLsiGY5J8

Got LEFTY?
    -2019 C'dale SuperSlateX
    -2017 C’dale Scalpel Carbon 3
    -2014 C’dale Bad Boy 1

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    OK, lets all get back to work now. LL won, lets see what next year brings? I would really enjoy seeing some of the top WC Euro guys showing up, that would make it even more interesting!
    me too. I was wondering the same thing. Curious how Julian Absalon or Burry Stander would do in this race.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Oh, Danny Boy,

Quote Originally Posted by 32x18
    Oh now there will be hell to pay. You know that the DB is not a mountain bike race, it is a hiking race. You might as well bring a road bike for as much riding as there is. Next thing you know professional endurance runners will be signing up and we all know where that will end up.
    Maybe that's what Levi is planning, running the entire course, and he might still win! He's probably never done a running event either. I don't remember anything in the rules about not doping.

Moo

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Levi Rides a 29

I think he spent at least three weeks in France racing a 29er, (Just to get back on track of the 29er thread), along with the other hundred and something cyclists who chose to pursue cycling at great length. All of us make decisions on what to do when we grow up, and some end up in France in July.

Did Levi have an advantage at Leadville? If so, then maybe all of us should create a "euro trash doper" training plan that emulates the pro road peloton's summer, and give it all we've got at Leadville.

With that type of year, there's no reason Levi should have finished any where else in the field. The only thing stopping the rest of us is the decisions we've made. Of course, it's easier to whine about those that get paid to do what we wish we were doing.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know if anyone dopes, except maybe that weird guy under the bridge.

Moo

don't try this at home

Levi does this all the time. just last week he showed up at a local dirt crit, where we use paper plates with numbers, that's how "local" this is. spanked everyone, then hung out after and signed number plates for kids who raced earlier. Levi is a really down to earth kind of guy and supports a lot of local cycling.

sounds like you should have more of a beef with your local paper about not highlighting local racers and less about a visiting pro. it also sounds like you took his comment in a different light then most in this thread, then made disparaging remarks about him. someone you don't seem to really know, and then gets upset when someone makes assumptions about your character. hmmmm
    will you rep me?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by go-pirates
    Would it have been better if Levi had said the course was ridiculously easy? That he was never even short of breath? Would that have sounded more "humble" or "professional"? Seems the opposite to me.
    ^ This

Him alluding to the race being "hard" and actually suffering along with the rest of the racers hardly seems like something to get worked up about, but hey whatever.

Seriously, what was he supposed to say in the interview?

mtbr member

Seems he wasn't the only one. Do you hate Wells now too?

From the singletrack.com recap:

"...The crash left Leipheimer, a past Tour de France podium finisher, on the dirt. It also took out spokes on Wells’ front wheel about a third of the way into the race. But mountain bike legend and Wells’ Specialized teammate Ned Overend gave up his wheel. That allowed Wells to catch up with a large leading group made up of, among others, Horgan-Kobelski, Leipheimer, Wiens, Bishop, Matt Shriver (Fort Lewis College), Tinker Juarez (Cannondale Factory Racing), Jay Henry (Tokyo Joe’s) and Len Zanni (Honey Stinger).

“I almost wish I’d kept the wheel and pulled the plug,” an exhausted Wells said jokingly post race.

Overend managed to ride the trashed wheel to the next feed zone where it took several minutes before he found a replacement. Even then, the new wheel rubbed on the brake for 70-some miles. Soon-to-be 55-year-old Deadly Nedly was still able to finish under eight hours, 1 hour 40 minutes off the winner...."

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ned always was good people.

graps the nettle
    Aug 2005

buckle sale, cheap!

I opened my local paper to see Leipheimer saying "...I just couldn't wait for it to be over." when I knew that my friend had ridden it and she didn't want it to be over. For her she prayed for an entry, trained hard for a year, eschewing riding the mountains with the boys to get in her intervals and went and kicked ass getting a buckle as well... So yeah I am chafed that the best thing Levi could come up with is" it was hard I wished it was over." He would serve cycling better by thinking before he gives up sound bites.
    good for your friend. have you ever raced leadville?

i have, it sucks. i finished the first four, got two little buckles and two big buckles to show for all the suffering, then dropped out of my 5th attempt while on a sub-9 hour pace when my back decided to mutiny somewhere on the way up columbine. i've never been back since and i sure as heck don't miss it one bit.

for most of the 41 and a half or so hours i spent racing at leadville over the course of five years, i was wishing it was over. maybe your friend is special, and thinks that saddle sores are cute. i dunno. but that race is about as much fun as laying down on a belt sander. i'd suggest that if you haven't done it yourself that maybe you should throttle back your contempt for those who have done it, pro or no.
    hold my beer...

Quote Originally Posted by cobi
    Seems he wasn't the only one. Do you hate Wells now too?

From the singletrack.com recap:

"...The crash left Leipheimer, a past Tour de France podium finisher, on the dirt. It also took out spokes on Wells’ front wheel about a third of the way into the race. But mountain bike legend and Wells’ Specialized teammate Ned Overend gave up his wheel. That allowed Wells to catch up with a large leading group made up of, among others, Horgan-Kobelski, Leipheimer, Wiens, Bishop, Matt Shriver (Fort Lewis College), Tinker Juarez (Cannondale Factory Racing), Jay Henry (Tokyo Joe’s) and Len Zanni (Honey Stinger).

Overend managed to ride the trashed wheel to the next feed zone where it took several minutes before he found a replacement. Even then, the new wheel rubbed on the brake for 70-some miles. Soon-to-be 55-year-old Deadly Nedly was still able to finish under eight hours, 1 hour 40 minutes off the winner...."

Todd Wells is an effing euro trash roadie doper!! How dare he straddle a knobby tire!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    LOL at the hate. The guy who crosses the finish line first wins... sounds about right. The race apparently was a good match for Levi's abilities. Good for him.
    09 GF HIFI 29

mtbr member
    WOW, just skimming this cluster, I'd say you boys need to go for a good long roll on your mountain bike and blow off some steam.

BTW, Weins would hand Levi his ass on a real mountain bike course.... Leadville is difficult true, but it favors the roadie and that is something you just can't argue with.

Happy Trails
    Ride, Race or just polish it.... Do it till you smile!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    It wouldn't have mattered what Levi said in the post-race interview, or how he said it.

Somebody (moderator), somewhere (mtbr), would have taken issue with it.

I'm hoping he races the Butte 100 next year. That race is a killer. For example, the winner finished at around 10:30. A few weeks prior, he finished third in the Cascade Creampuff -- no easy race itself -- at around 8:30.
    Whining is not a strategy.

bonked

Where you there? I was. Levi was quite humble and made an effort to come out and meet with the fans after the race. Even autographed a baseball for me. And thanked everybody for their support.

Quite frankly, from what I saw, there were many entrants who aren't really 'mtn bikers' but rather folks who are into endurance event.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    It's awesome that Levi beat Lance's record. These kinds of things make headlines. To the moderator who got shat on by everyone for making absurd comments, it's not like Levi doesn't train all year. In fact, he is one of two hundred people in the world that trains their ass off on a global routine schedule that would quite literally destroy you and make you cry. Seeing serious American racers enter this "small" MTB race Leadville inspires people like myself to ride mtb and care, who would otherwise give a sh*t about such a race, it's racers, it's community, it's culture.
    Creator Producer: Will of the Sun WoS, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ MTBR thread

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Oh, my gawd

A 29er didn't win the race? Is it remotely possible that 26ers are faster than 29ers? Stop the press!!!!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Yaw

Quote Originally Posted by murtaghstyle
    I think Jeremiah Bishop (5th place) was in a 29er as well (C'dale Flash)

And for the idiot calling out LL - Here's LL destroying some singletrack:
    These guys crack me up saying these guys can't ride. Go ride with Armstrong and get the crap out of this way because I guarantee you the boy can ride. He has mad bike handling skills.

Spear & Magic Helmet

As one who criticized the tone of your original post I would say that I understand your point much better after your last two posts. I think I'd be a bit pissed, too.

Congrats to your friend for getting a buckle. Hell, congrats to everyone who toed the line and competed.

Ciao.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sounds to me like Levi enjoyed the ride. What's wrong with that?

What Levi said:

“I’ve been doing the road thing for so many years I wanted to do something different,” he said. “Today I felt like everyone else out there; excited, nervous — going on an epic adventure. It was everything and more that I’d expected and dreamed of.”

Read more: http://singletrack.competitor.com/20...#ixzz0wyBubjPy

As one who criticized the tone of your original post I would say that I understand your point much better after your last two posts. I think I'd be a bit pissed, too.

Congrats to your friend for getting a buckle. Hell, congrats to everyone who toed the line and competed.

Ciao.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steelbike
    “Today I felt like everyone else out there; excited, nervous — going on an epic adventure. It was everything and more that I’d expected and dreamed of.”

The nerve of that bastard. HOW DARE HE!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cr45h
    stop posting! you keep posting random crap and halfway through state "well, i'm a newb and don't know anything."

OBVIOUSLY

we don't want to read your ignorant posts. go hangout in the beginners forum and learn a couple things, then come back and post something intelligent.
    thanks for your honesty. you are 100% correct. others were probably trying to be polite and not say anything. i appreciate your honesty.

too bad i'm selfish. my primary motivation to register with the forum was to get advice on a first mtn bike purchase (that happens to be a lot more than i expected to pay for). i got it. now i'm waiting for my mtn bike to arrive. i spent every penny i had to get the best bike i could buy. right now i'm just making it by with a hybrid in my garage to hit the paved parks. it's too upright to ride as vigorously as i'd like. i have a life. a happy and fun one. but cycling fills a niche in my life that nothing else can. it's the only exercise that i enjoy and can do everyday for hours without any discomfort. so while i have been waiting over a month for the new one to arrive, i have tried to substitute my enthusiasm for riding by talking and learning more about it in the forum. once i get the mtn bike i'd rather hit the trails than the forums.

but i do appreciate all the help i got at the forum. once i am more experienced i'll happily return the favor and share whatever knowledge i may have.

bonked
    So, from what I gathered talking to a friend of mine who lives in Leadville and has his big buckle, lottery is a bit of an exaggeration. If you live and work in Lake County you are in. If you won the year before, you are in. If Ken likes you, you are in. Ken basically screens all of the applications before any sort of 'lottery' ever happens. And if Ken doesn't like you you may not get a spot, even if you have placed well or won in the past.
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not sure what he's riding but it looks like fun

<object width="400" height="225"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=8007008&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=1&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&a mp;loop=0" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=8007008&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=1&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&a mp;loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="225"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/8007008">Levi Leipheimer on a Mountain bike</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user2750444">Roger Bartels</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Perhaps it's not about a super fit roadie pro hammering the non-pro's, but the feel and changes in this classic race, as it matures.

The same thing happened to the NORBA races in the late 80's, racing with your buddies, throwing elbows to get to the singletrack first, seeing who would pop on the long climbs, etc. all followed by beers in the parking lot.

I recall when the corporate sponsors flocked to the NORBA scene, the entire vibe of racing changed and all of a sudden we had roadies coming in to race...simply for points and or $$$ sponsorships. Was it fair to me as a person who can't train 8 hours a day to race anymore? It became un-fun and lacked soul.

Perhaps the simple joy of racing with your buds is long gone, I know that the was the case in SoCal, and now only a couple of events seek to bring back this camaraderie.

Now to refill my popcorn bucket.
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    Local races still have that flair here in Dtown, its just your buddies are sometimes T. Brown, Wells Bros., Shriver and the like. Just good guys that can rip it but take time to support local events when their around.

I've done about 10 races this summer Cat 3. old guy division, the best part is generally the U14 kids start with us at the same time. Racing with them, getting lapped by the buddies listed above makes for a memorable day. Watching the U14ers progress over the summer into speed demons has been great as well. Many memorable moments.
    Leverick

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by IF52
    Where you there? I was. Levi was quite humble and made an effort to come out and meet with the fans after the race. Even autographed a baseball for me. And thanked everybody for their support.

Quite frankly, from what I saw, there were many entrants who aren't really 'mtn bikers' but rather folks who are into endurance event.

^^Oh, the jerk is now signing baseballs. Apparently he thinks he's better than most pro ball players too. What an arrogant bastage. Signing his name on the symbol of another sport like that. Next he'll probably start claiming that he's in better shape than baseball players too. The nerve.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Howeler
    Perhaps the simple joy of racing with your buds is long gone, I know that the was the case in SoCal, and now only a couple of events seek to bring back this camaraderie.
    Disagree. I race CAT1 with the some of the fastest guys around. Sure some of them don't hang out to drink a beer, but there are still those that do! We were doing just that at Fontana after the races, drinking good beer and celebrating Allison's 5th place.

I have missed racing (since my crash in April) and can't wait to race at Bonelli and see all my racing buddies. (i have seen them some, but look forward to lining up and joking about fitness at the start line)

bonked
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    ^^Oh, the jerk is now signing baseballs. Apparently he thinks he's better than most pro ball players too. What an arrogant bastage. Signing his name on the symbol of another sport like that. Next he'll probably start claiming that he's in better shape than baseball players too. The nerve.
    Heck yeah, I asked a bunch of the top riders to sign my balls. Wiens, Susan Demattei, Ned, Tinker, JHK, Jeremiah, Reba, Levi. They are all better than pro ball players
    Last edited by IF52; 08-18-2010 at 01:47 PM.
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That is the ultimate old school mountain bike racer there. Ned is the man, bar none. To think in the old days schwinn fired him as a racer only for him to go on and be the most dominant man on 2 wheels in the dirt pro arena for years for specialized. Specialized still here schwinn as we know it gone. Coincidence? I think not.
    I'm still waiting for some roadie-hating archtype to post up an attack on Wells for being dependent upon his team like some sissy Euro road weenie. I recall when a number of people got really worked up about Lance bringing in some team support to Leadville to push the pace. Where are these enlightened critics now?

poser Administrator

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by justonegear
    WOW, just skimming this cluster, I'd say you boys need to go for a good long roll on your mountain bike and blow off some steam.

BTW, Weins would hand Levi his ass on a real mountain bike course.... Leadville is difficult true, but it favors the roadie and that is something you just can't argue with.

Happy Trails

man you hit it on the head. I have been f-ing surly these last few months as Arizona has swung into its "winter" season, where it is too hot, too humid too early to really get out and ride. Plus once you factor in the intermittent monsoons, lightening storms, rattlers, summer vacations, etc it really gets hard to get out and ride.

I ordered some new tires. Got my wife to give me the go ahead to go ride sunday and hopefully return in a much better mood physically and mentally.

I apologize for all the ******** about Levi and Leadville, wish I could have been there, wish I could have ridden it, glad those that did finished and glad that a 29er didn't win or people would be saying that 29ers are only competitive on long high elevation endurance events with minimal technical riding and we all know that ain't right.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Bedwards Of The West
    Heck yeah, I asked a bunch of the top riders to sign my balls.

This would never fly at a pro tour event. It's clear now that Levi is a mountian biker.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    man you hit it on the head. I have been f-ing surly these last few months as Arizona has swung into its "winter" season, where it is too hot, too humid too early to really get out and ride. Plus once you factor in the intermittent monsoons, lightening storms, rattlers, summer vacations, etc it really gets hard to get out and ride.

I ordered some new tires. Got my wife to give me the go ahead to go ride sunday and hopefully return in a much better mood physically and mentally.

I apologize for all the ******** about Levi and Leadville, wish I could have been there, wish I could have ridden it, glad those that did finished and glad that a 29er didn't win or people would be saying that 29ers are only competitive on long high elevation endurance events with minimal technical riding and we all know that ain't right.

very respectable apology....I think many of us are feeling a little edgy with the heat and lack of riding, not too much longer till some of that awesome fall riding.....as Gary Fisher once said, "anybody who rides a bike, is a friend of mine".....whether you like him or not it is a powerful statement.....there is more pressure than ever on places to ride our bikes on or off road, the more people that ride mtb, the stronger voice we have for our sport and trail access.......so the more roadies that own and ride a mtb for any reason is ultimately a good thing for mtb trail access.....

Ride-Drink Beer-Repeat

Good job!

Heck yeah, I asked a bunch of the top riders to sign my balls.
    That is so F'n funny Don't forget to shave first
    The Internet: All the piracy, none of the scurvy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Really you sure you're not a Levi hater?
    You'd have a lot of company, something
    bout Levi that his own kind(racers) don't like.
    Maybe his Gerolsteiner days?
    https://www.bicycling.com/levi-leiph...dope-2005-tour

certainly not his wife
    https://autobus.cyclingnews.com/phot...dscn0057_1.jpg

Hesjedal's is cuter and he's the mountain biker yeah we win!
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

how about the "old guys"

How bout weins, overend, tinker, etc, those guys are all 44+ years old and still pushing the boundaries, sure Levi did an amazing job, but how about weins doing his fastest time, at age 45!!! Hell Yeah

Bedwards Of The West
    Ned Overend is 134 years old, and he finished Leadville in less time than it takes rockcrusher to watch 60 minutes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord
    It's awesome that Levi beat Lance's record.
    hopefully this can dispel some rumors about lance doping. he did his record with human ability & effort. if he was a doper with no merit his record wouldn't be broken by several racers.

hopefully this can dispel some rumors about lance doping. he did his record with human ability & effort. if he was a doper with no merit his record wouldn't be broken by several racers,
    unless they were doping too.....
    Fixed it for you.

mtbr member
    wookieone: Don't forget, Levi is the same generation as Lance, they're all near 40. As much as I can't stand Favre, there is always a glimmering light that is lit and sustained when you see old men kickin' ass. It's a tough job and thank goodness somebody chooses to do it.
    Creator Producer: Will of the Sun WoS, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ MTBR thread

Leg Shaver
    it says nothing about any so called revolution blah blah. Elite riders ride what fits
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

Members who have read this thread: 0