The latest 29er vs 26er test- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,976

  2. #2
    offroader
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,190
    Downhills were all ridden at zero watts, simply coasting, and we abstained from pedaling out of corners.
    Quicker acceleration is one of the key advantages of the 26er. The lighter weight and lower rotation mass of the wheels benefits the 26er. This basically negates the 26er's advantage in acceleration and in tight corners.
    Last edited by CupOfJava; 09-08-2009 at 11:41 AM.

  3. #3
    Pick a wheel size...
    Reputation: jimithng23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    Pedaling out of corners and from slow/stop to speed is one of the key advantages of the 26er...
    this is where, when riding in groups, I have difficulty keeping up with the faster 26" riders.

  4. #4
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,589
    yes, but repetition is THE major key advantage of the 29er......

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hoogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    278
    i guess all the 29er vs 26" argument means diddly squat if you are a rec rider ...

    to me the 29er is a better fit, a nicer ride and waaaaay more fun than my 26" bikes

    however, it is still fun poking sh*t at the little wheel crowd ... just my $0.02 worth
    "old enough to know better. too old to care."

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,330
    especially when it’s steep, due to the larger diameter wheel. It’s much harder to go over the handlebars of a big-wheeled bike.

    Not breaking your neck, priceless!!!

    On that basis alone 29er wins hands down, being able to ride again is what makes my bike so good

  7. #7
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,307
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    Quicker acceleration is one of the key advantages of the 26er. The lighter weight and lower rotation mass of the wheels benefits the 26er. This basically negates the 26er's advantage in acceleration and in tight corners.
    I'd say <1% difference in bike+rider weight is negligible.
    The rotational mass issue has been beat to death and your position is fairly easily refuted by the simple fact that for any given speed a 29er wheel rotates more slowly than a 26" wheel. They are both a function of radius and thus cancel eachother out.
    The superior traction of a 29er also plays a roll in tight cornering.
    You forgot a quote that speaks to the issue somewhat directly:
    In addition to the testing I carried out on the test 29er, I also raced it in both short track and technical cross-country races. My findings here were twofold. I expected it to be slower for short track because of the importance of quick acceleration in this type of racing. In practice I found it faster than a 26-inch-wheeled bike and was even able to win a local weeknight race on our 29-inch test bike.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mdb1974's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    Quicker acceleration is one of the key advantages of the 26er. The lighter weight and lower rotation mass of the wheels benefits the 26er. This basically negates the 26er's advantage in acceleration and in tight corners.
    Was curious as the the reasoning behind Velos decision not to pedal out of corners. None the less, the bikes were accelerated after they were out of the corner which should have still allowed the supposed "26" advantage. The rotation mass advantage always references corners because that is where momentum is lost. But from a mass (lack of) advantage accelerating on a straight should be no different.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,018
    It will never end..........

    A slow rider is still slow.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd
    especially when itís steep, due to the larger diameter wheel. Itís much harder to go over the handlebars of a big-wheeled bike.
    Not IME.

  11. #11
    Enthusiast
    Reputation: JonathanGennick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,359
    Why didn't the guy test a 29er full-suspension bike? His article leaves me hanging with the obvious question: why bother with a 26er full-suspension when I can have full-suspension in the 29er size? His recommendation to have a 26-inch fully and a 29er hardtail makes no sense to me.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    729
    The part about riding faster while doing less work echoes my experience in 3 months on a 29er. The bike just likes to go fast and makes it easier to do so. It's also improving my fitness because I want to go faster on it (the full rigid is helping the fitness too).

  13. #13
    nOOb
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    418
    It's pretty hard to do an unbiased review on different types of bikes. Hardtail versus hardtail would be more accurate. Same tires and suspension etc. makes a difference. I have a similar situation to the test, a fs 26er and a hardtail 29er. In my experience the 26er allows me to ride faster, more comfortably.
    I like the 29er for certain types of riding. I rode it exclusively when new for 3 months, the fs bike sat in the corner. I dragged the fs bike out when I blew a tire on the 29er, and I forgot how kind rear suspension can be. Maybe it's old age, but I can climb better when seated when the rear wheel doesn't pop over things but stays glued. I can stay seated on fast rolling bumpy terrain when I'd have to hover on my 29er hardtail.
    In the end it just reinforces my belief that one bike is never enough. I want to add a fs 29er next year so I have another option in my garage.

  14. #14
    offroader
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,190
    I'm in the process of testing this too.

    Results of my unscientific test so far.
    Distance: ~6.34 mi

    1st
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er
    Weight: 25lbs
    Gearing: 34/20 175mm crank arm
    Time: 00:39:11
    Avg Speed: ~9.7 mph
    Max Speed: 17.0 mph

    2nd
    Titus Motolite 26er
    Weight: 25.5lbs
    Gearing: 32/20 170mm crank arm
    Time: 00:40:24
    Avg Speed: ~9.2 mph
    Max Speed: 18.3 mph

    3rd
    Scott Spark 26er
    Weight: 23lbs
    Gearing: 32/20 170mm crank arm
    Time: 00:41:44
    Avg Speed: ~8.9 mph
    Max Speed: 16.3 mph

    4th
    Redline Monocog 29er
    Weight: 28lbs
    Gearing: 32/18 175mm crank arm
    Time: 00:43:46
    Avg Speed: ~8.7 mph
    Max Speed: 16.5 mph

    I could've probably gotten a faster time on the Spark since I was tired that day. I'm also going to try to run the Spark at 32/18 (170mm) next time. I think I can get pretty close to the same time as the Monocog Flight 29er but it might be tough. The 34/20 (175mm) gearing on the Flight was perfect for me, the 32/18 might be a little harder we'll see.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mdb1974's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    I'm in the process of testing this too.

    Results of my unscientific test so far.
    Distance: ~6.34 mi
    That's a lot of work, you should make it it's own thread.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MarcusDelirious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    79
    I would think this sort of thing would be closer to comparing apples to oranges on any given day depending on rider condition/mood/weather/tire pressure/etc...

    Whatever feels best between your legs should be the reason you are riding it, not a 30 second difference...

  17. #17
    offroader
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,190
    Quote Originally Posted by mdb1974
    That's a lot of work, you should make it it's own thread.
    Thanks it's still a work in progress.

    I just finished riding the Spark this time on 32/18.

    Here are the new results.

    Distance: ~6.34 mi

    1st
    Scott Spark 26er
    Weight: 23lbs
    Gearing: 32/18 170mm crank arm
    Tires: Kenda Small Block 8 2.1
    Time: 00:37:57
    Avg Speed: ~9.7 mph
    Max Speed: 17.9 mph
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/13025851

    2nd
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er
    Weight: 25lbs
    Gearing: 34/20 175mm crank arm
    Tires: Maxxis Igniters 2.1
    Time: 00:39:11
    Avg Speed: ~9.7 mph
    Max Speed: 17.0 mph
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/12970453

    3rd
    Titus Motolite 26er
    Weight: 25.5lbs
    Gearing: 32/20 170mm crank arm
    Tires: Continental Speed King 2.3 front, Continental Mountain King 2.4 rear
    Time: 00:40:24
    Avg Speed: ~9.2 mph
    Max Speed: 18.3 mph
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/12903330


    4th
    Redline Monocog 29er
    Weight: 28lbs
    Gearing: 32/18 175mm crank arm
    Tires: Panaracer Rampage 2.3
    Time: 00:43:46
    Avg Speed: ~8.7 mph
    Max Speed: 16.5 mph
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/12708856

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,018
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusDelirious
    , not a 30 second difference...

    Looks like over a minute.

  19. #19
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,281
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusDelirious
    Whatever feels best between your legs should be the reason you are riding it...
    That's what she said

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky
    It's pretty hard to do an unbiased review on different types of bikes. Hardtail versus hardtail would be more accurate. Same tires and suspension etc. makes a difference. I have a similar situation to the test, a fs 26er and a hardtail 29er. In my experience the 26er allows me to ride faster, more comfortably.
    I like the 29er for certain types of riding. I rode it exclusively when new for 3 months, the fs bike sat in the corner. I dragged the fs bike out when I blew a tire on the 29er, and I forgot how kind rear suspension can be. Maybe it's old age, but I can climb better when seated when the rear wheel doesn't pop over things but stays glued. I can stay seated on fast rolling bumpy terrain when I'd have to hover on my 29er hardtail.
    In the end it just reinforces my belief that one bike is never enough. I want to add a fs 29er next year so I have another option in my garage.
    SAME EXACT SITUATION,TITUS RX26ER AND SIR9,RODE SIR FOR 3MTHS W/O TOUCHING RX,GOT FLAT AND BROKE OUT RX AND REALLY MISSED THE F/S.SO I PICKED UP A RX29ER FRAME AND IT WEIGHTS 27LBS,3LBS.MORE THEN SIR BUT I GO FASTER ON THE RX29ER AND AM WAY MORE COMFY AFTER 3HRS.I STILL USE 26ER ON TIGHT SINGLE TRACK WITH LOTS OF SWITCHBACKS.

  21. #21
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,820
    Quote Originally Posted by scsamoyan
    SAME EXACT SITUATION,TITUS RX26ER AND SIR9,RODE SIR FOR 3MTHS W/O TOUCHING RX,GOT FLAT AND BROKE OUT RX AND REALLY MISSED THE F/S.SO I PICKED UP A RX29ER FRAME AND IT WEIGHTS 27LBS,3LBS.MORE THEN SIR BUT I GO FASTER ON THE RX29ER AND AM WAY MORE COMFY AFTER 3HRS.I STILL USE 26ER ON TIGHT SINGLE TRACK WITH LOTS OF SWITCHBACKS.
    Thanks Billy Mays!
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

    CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: donoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    155
    I don't know if my 29er made me faster but it feels more natural for me (6'0 210 lbs). I don't have to lean forward as much to prevent wheelies when climbing really steep stuff and I don't have to lean back as much when dropping off steep things and risking an endo. I also felt a discernible improvement in traction and hence braking performance over my 26er. Does it make me faster, not sure. I've never really timed myself when mountain biking and my friends are always 30 seconds to 30 minutes ahead of me making sure my cocoa is hot at the campsite.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    231
    thats funny! i didnt forgot caps means ur yelling.lol

  24. #24
    Life is Go0d!
    Reputation: mo0se's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    891
    Smiles per hour... not miles per hour.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: donoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    155
    I just did a long ride yesterday, 50 miles... 29er is AWESOME. 1 situation where I would have endo'd on my 26er Epic and multiple other situations where I can now choose different lines because I can roll over things. Very helpful.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,330
    Quote Originally Posted by donoman
    I just did a long ride yesterday, 50 miles... 29er is AWESOME. 1 situation where I would have endo'd on my 26er Epic and multiple other situations where I can now choose different lines because I can roll over things. Very helpful.

    26er High chance of busting your neck over your riding life.
    29er Low chance of breaking your neck due to much fewer overs.


    Riding DIY 69er with similar angles to before, Zero over the bars events in 2years ,previously I estimate 5+ same angles 6months before, with a shorter fork 15+ in previous 6months so 20+ in 1 year. Despite having a 100mm fork compared to 150mm fork, although travel doesn't help with front impacts after a certain point.


    Faster ?? I just don't care in the slightest!!

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,309
    Wheel size alone should not be blamed for all your OTB accidents. Maybe your skills were not as developed and maybe the 26er did not fit you all that well.

    I experience very few OTB incidents (fortunately) but I can honestly say that they were all rider error. And yes, I had one OTB with my 29er singlespeed in a recent race. I simply hit a rock in a tech downhill. Basically I did not see it at all.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

  28. #28
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807

    hmmmm.

    i been riding 29er's for longer than most have been riding 26 or 29 and i have to say that my new 26 full sussy carbon with 120mm fork and 70 head angle has been as good as being reborn. not only am i making very techy climbs and switchbacks that slowed me much more on 29, i can flick the damn thing all over the place. endo? the 26 will just wheelie drop at the blink of an eye. can't endo when yer not goin down somethin head first.

    back on 26, resold on 26. will do my 1st race (in many years) on my 26 this weekend coming. my indy ti 29er is now my commuter road bike. or, anyone wanna buy an indy ti 29er with rigid vicious fork w/crossmax 29er wheels........for a GREAT PRICE! derailleur hanger and phil wood ebb. gears? single? anything you want.

    rog

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davidcopperfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,779
    Get a full 29er sussy with 120mm fork up front and flick the damn thing. Get, a rocky MTN, Niner or Turner. Yeah a HT is indeed a road bike. A FS 29er will kick your blingy 26er its ass.

  30. #30
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807

    been on em

    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield
    Get a full 29er sussy with 120mm fork up front and flick the damn thing. Get, a rocky MTN, Niner or Turner. Yeah a HT is indeed a road bike. A FS 29er will kick your blingy 26er its ass.
    spent time on fully 29 of different travel as well as the new jamis 650 b-2 with 5 inches of travel (cool bike actually and a nice compromise), but no need for big wheels. years of big wheels has taught me how to get the most and more out of my 26er. flicky wicky, oh so quicky. acceleration and direction changes? unreal. so playful.

    rog

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davidcopperfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,779
    Have you tried tepered head tube Rocky MTN 120mm 29er? Rumblefish? Rip9? Banshee Shovelhead 5" fully? Not all of them are available yet but you get the idea you can't jugde the whole 29er concept just by several older generation fullies.

    Flicking around is nice but remember those stones interwoven with roots also flick your bike sideways and suspension is working way harder than on 29er. When I want to flick a bike I take a BMX 20" for that matter, but I would never take it to the trails.

  32. #32
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807

    boring sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield
    Have you tried tepered head tube Rocky MTN 120mm 29er? Rumblefish? Rip9? Banshee Shovelhead 5" fully? Not all of them are available yet but you get the idea you can't jugde the whole 29er concept just by several older generation fullies.

    Flicking around is nice but remember those stones interwoven with roots also flick your bike sideways and suspension is working way harder than on 29er. When I want to flick a bike I take a BMX 20" for that matter, but I would never take it to the trails.
    not those, turner sultan, kona hei hei, fisher, stump fsr, lenz bohemoth, leviathan.

    any of the 29er fullies i've tried feel more like the missionary position where my 26er feels like gettin her leg all up on the chandelier and gettin all, well, very non missionary. i know most folks might be afraid to get back on 26 and admit having mucho fun. do it! you know you want to.

    rog

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davidcopperfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,779
    So AM 24ers can be fun, even esier to flick around, but none of them will excell in long rides for fun and rest. Generally small wheels are fun when FR- airborne and smoth berms stuff are at stake and we concentrate on stunt related stuff like stoppie, wheelie, frontflips etc, elsewhere I prefer to get laid missionary than in juice shaker. Smaller means rougher and smaller eats all suspension too easily.

  34. #34
    banned
    Reputation: cruso414's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,101

    I did.

    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog
    not those, turner sultan, kona hei hei, fisher, stump fsr, lenz bohemoth, leviathan.

    any of the 29er fullies i've tried feel more like the missionary position where my 26er feels like gettin her leg all up on the chandelier and gettin all, well, very non missionary. i know most folks might be afraid to get back on 26 and admit having mucho fun. do it! you know you want to.

    rog
    I have rode my favorite 26er bike of all time(scalpel) back to back with my last 29er (Jet 9) and I can tell you that it sucked a$$. I have owned 5 scalpels and used to love the things but for me, 26ers seem like a death trap once you get used to the way that big front tire rolls over everything. I thought 29ers were just a fad for years until I rode one and it blew me away how profound of a difference there is.

    This thread is really pointless and the point has been beat to death. If you don't want to ride a 29er, DON'T. It just seems pretty funny that every bike maker out there is breaking their necks to jump on the bandwagon in the last year or so.

  35. #35
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807

    oh david

    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield
    So AM 24ers can be fun, even esier to flick around, but none of them will excell in long rides for fun and rest. Generally small wheels are fun when FR- airborne and smoth berms stuff are at stake and we concentrate on stunt related stuff like stoppie, wheelie, frontflips etc, elsewhere I prefer to get laid missionary than in juice shaker. Smaller means rougher and smaller eats all suspension too easily.
    have you tried it in new juice shaker? they're not available yet, but................

    rog

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.