Ladies and Gentleman, we HAVE a Winner!!!- Mtbr.com

Poll: Vote for your 29" Man of the Year 2004

Recovering couch patato

Man of the 29" Year 2004 Award, the show is ON!

Let's say we need 100 votes to make it official?

The nomination thread will tell you why someone should be Man of the Year 2004, but really, voting only makes sense if you think someone's Da Man already before the award show.

The is Man of the Year, whether Brand, Racer, Bike, Frame, awards will follow depends on, well it just depends.
    Let's say you can't be re-elected next year, to make way for others to follow?

Oh, despite nominations (thanks V), I had to disqualify myself for still riding and racing 26" in the summer. Yes, on a Banshee Morphine. That, and hanging too much on the weight forum.

Please forgive any irregularities, I can't edit a poll to correct typo's. Missed someone? There's always next year, it's not like this fad will pass...right? Right?

In totally random order to make it a bit harder on you :
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Harmonius Wrench

Dang! That's hard to choose just one!

I did choose one though, it's just that all of the nominees are worthy in one way or another. Congrats to all who made the list! Thanks Cloxxki for putting up with this! Can't wait to see what happens in '05!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Recovering couch patato
    Perhaps now that there's an award involved, playa's in da bizz will think twice about anything 29"-related? Yeah, right...
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

jl
    climb
    Cloxxki,

How about Chris from Speedgoat, and Devin from Lenzsport for creating 2 viable 29-fs platforms to enhance the 29x offering from Fisher.

Dec 2004
    i think because there are soooo many km's out there i had to vote for the surly boys for spreading the joy by making 29" easy to get and cheap.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I had to give the nod to Mikesee.
    If I had a chance for 2 votes, I'd prolly say Surly.
    They would have had my vote had they offered the KM as a complete bike like the X-check. Say, with two build options...geared or SS.

highly visible

Mikesee!

No question in my mind: MikeC for his tireless efforts in working directly with mfrs to test and refine their 29" designs, for his apparently tireless (though I bet he'd dispute that) record-breaking GDR run, and for his unbelievable Alaskan adventureposts.

Since this is (I think) the first year we've done this, let me say that if I were to vote retroactively for previous years it would go something like this:

- 2003: The Surly guys, for bringing us the Karate Monkey.
    - 2002: Cloxxki, for getting this forum up and running, both at its previous "rubber steamrollers" home and at its new MTBR home. Also on a personal note, for his reply in summer 2002 to a thread I posted on the roadbikereview.com 'cross board, with a pic showing my 'crosser mounted up with a 700x45 Smoke on the front. He said "you almost look like a 29"er pilot" and suggested I check into 29" mountain bikes. And I did.
    - 2001: Gary Fisher, for obvious reasons.

And the smart money for 2005 would be on Tom Ritchey and co. for the 29" fattie they've promised us. Can't wait!

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by jl
    Cloxxki,

How about Chris from Speedgoat, and Devin from Lenzsport for creating 2 viable 29-fs platforms to enhance the 29x offering from Fisher.
    Agreed, those should have been in the poll.

Another thing is that if this had been the 2001, 2, or 3 man of the year, it might be different.
    FS: Everything

mtbr member
    Ritchey because of a promise of a tire.....uh, if you say so.

It is Cameron Chambers.

You all might not go back to 99' when the man of the year was Mark Slate for having the initiative to bring a true 29" tire to the market, the WTB Nanoraptor, which is still the favorite tire of quite a few riders out there. This was the first year 29"ers showed at Interbike. One in the Vicious booth, one in the Moots booth and 6 or 7 in the Willits booth including a Ti full suspension.

Year 2000 had to be Wes Williams. He developed the first lineup of all 29" bikes made to fit ALL riders that year and shed the 26" concept totally, well before anyone else did. One of the grand masters of torching Ti, he unfortunately was not a good businessman and never got the credit due his devotion to 700c offroad.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

N+1

Walt is my Man

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel
    Ritchey because of a promise of a tire.....uh, if you say so.

It is Cameron Chambers.

You all might not go back to 99' when the man of the year was Mark Slate for having the initiative to bring a true 29" tire to the market, the WTB Nanoraptor, which is still the favorite tire of quite a few riders out there. This was the first year 29"ers showed at Interbike. One in the Vicious booth, one in the Moots booth and 6 or 7 in the Willits booth including a Ti full suspension.

Year 2000 had to be Wes Williams. He developed the first lineup of all 29" bikes made to fit ALL riders that year and shed the 26" concept totally, well before anyone else did. One of the grand masters of torching Ti, he unfortunately was not a good businessman and never got the credit due his devotion to 700c offroad.
    Walt Wehner is my man. After dealing with him, and seeing how openly he communicates to find the right custom build, he gets my vote. Many people deserving for their contributions, but Walt is offering quality product to a much wider audience with his prices. My 2 cents.

Bigwheel - contact me w/ a return contact - thx
    GET Bret Weir, I said.

mtbr member

Big Wheel & Glowboy are right on

...this is a 2004 award, not a lifetime acheivement award.

do we need to come up with some sort of trophy or plaque? then maybe a name? the Golden Nanoraptor maybe?

How about a banquet? no, but seriously an awards ride as a fundraiser for a TBA charity?

I gotta vote for Mike C.

Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    No question in my mind: MikeC for his tireless efforts in working directly with mfrs to test and refine their 29" designs, for his apparently tireless (though I bet he'd dispute that) record-breaking GDR run, and for his unbelievable Alaskan adventureposts.

Since this is (I think) the first year we've done this, let me say that if I were to vote retroactively for previous years it would go something like this:

- 2003: The Surly guys, for bringing us the Karate Monkey.
    - 2002: Cloxxki, for getting this forum up and running, both at its previous "rubber steamrollers" home and at its new MTBR home. Also on a personal note, for his reply in summer 2002 to a thread I posted on the roadbikereview.com 'cross board, with a pic showing my 'crosser mounted up with a 700x45 Smoke on the front. He said "you almost look like a 29"er pilot" and suggested I check into 29" mountain bikes. And I did.
    - 2001: Gary Fisher, for obvious reasons.

And the smart money for 2005 would be on Tom Ritchey and co. for the 29" fattie they've promised us. Can't wait!
    Don't get stuck on stupid!

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by jl
    Cloxxki,

Not to dis Chris from Speedgoat, but if nominations were still open, it should be Chris from Titus. He builds the frame, and you can get the Titus in any size you want...

The Great Divide Ride results and race reports sealed it for my vote--MikeC

Recovering Weight Weenie
    If Mike wins, does he get a t-shirt or something?

oh yeah, can he vote for himself?

pepito
    Jun 2004
    mr. curiak fo' shizzle! but i would also like to extend a huge thank you to all others on the list who strive to make the mountain biking community a better place. if mike weren't on the list, it'd be a tough choice for sure, so many good people up there. keep up the good work fellas. *group hug*

the_dude
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

Keep Singlespeeding Evil
    What is a 29er poll worth in which one can't vote for Cloxxki???
    I mean he is still not drinking enough beer when showing up at Singlespeed Races in Germany - but give me a break!

My vote for Cloxxki!

phaty

Recovering couch patato
    Phaty, for such desicions, you are my inspiration.

I did have my own little website some time, but I got my inspiration from Bigwheel. 2Melow was the one with MTBR connections that made this forum on here happen.

Indeed, this is the 2004 award show. For previous years we might as well come to conclusions in this thread.
    My votes mostly follow the above suggestion :
    1999 - Mark Slate
    2000 - Wes Williams
    2001 - Gary Fisher
    2002 - Nishiki guy that missed the prize in 2001. I believe his name is Marvin something, Nishiki product manager in the day.
    2003 - Surly Three, this is when they completed the KM design

Lifetime acheivement : Bob "Bigwheel" Poor, the man I learnt most I know from. Because I had too many q's to ever reasonably ask one "poor" man, I set up the "Rubber Steamroller" community to suck information I felt I felt pre-purchase out of hundreds of you guys.
    In the modern world, internet spreads the word more than everything. Bigwheel was the first 29" proponent to actively spread the word, and in the first years got some rough reponses for it. Without Bigwheel I had bought my first 29"er some time later than I did now. Over here you could only get Nishiki's, and I despite the poster of one on my wall, I really couldn't bear spend my scarse money on one, so I bought a secondhand Fisher frameset from an MTBR member in the USA. Paid more than a complete, unused Mt.Tam sells for now. :-(
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Recovering couch patato
    Yeah, I misspelled Cameron's last name, I always mess up lots with my typing, and correct afterwards. No can do with a poll, it seems.
    I chose only one vote per member, as the other choice was just "multiple", which would just complicate things.
    MikeC's taking a huge lead already, 23 votes of the total against 6 for the Fisher Duo. we should score 100 votes easily at this pace, cool!

It was nice to see that of the max. 10 nominees I could put in the poll, 9 have actually posted on here that I know of. Gary and Ryan together count for one, Gary posted in the beginning as well, and might be undercover now.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Recovering Weight Weenie
    To me, I can't understand why Matt Chester is getting any votes. His style of business/building seems counter-productive to helping the 29er thing get understood more widely. Yes, he builds what he builds well, but anyway.
    Nat seems a much more likely vote-getter as his accomplishments on the 9er were public and put a big, FAT, exclamation point on the fact that the 9er isn't just a freak invention for big people, but a viable option and perhaps advantage for almost everybody.

Needed Less ~ Did More

I guess.....

Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    To me, I can't understand why Matt Chester is getting any votes. His style of business/building seems counter-productive to helping the 29er thing get understood more widely.
    I guess because he has committed to 29ers 100% and no longer makes "kids wheel bikes" (my words not his!) Most other builders view 29" as an option (like singlespeed, s+s couplings, fancy paint....)

:-)

SSP
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

Jan 2005

Idea! 24 24hr Races

Nat Ross has got to win this thing just on Chamois Time. The guy has completed over 24 (number of races) 24hr races. Last three years have all been on a 29'r.

Recovering couch patato
    Ladies and Gentlemen...

Please give warm round of applause...

for the 29" Man of the Year 2004 :

Mike Curiak !!!!

SPEECH, SPEECH, SPEECH!!
    (sorry if I make you shy Mike, tomorrow we'll treat you as usual again)

Second place....is shared by both the Surly Magic Trio and Walt Wehner!!
    Last edited by Cloxxki; 01-07-2005 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Couldn't spell to save my life, sorry
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

This place needs an enema

Ahem, AHEHEHEM...

Thanks everyone. If it matters, I voted for Walt...

All I can think of to say is that it's a good time to be riding big wheels. Let's hope that the passion (and subsequent $$) that we all put into this sport makes us look back in a few years while thinking, "Man, we thought we had it good back then...".

-May your wheels safely roll over the 27" holes that swallow those of your riding partners,
    and may our collective wheels grow by .5" with the intro of 3 different 2.4's this spring...

MC

Frame Building Moderator

I demand a recount.

Ladies and (mostly) gentlemen, I must protest this undemocratic result.

After widespread reports of vote fixing, voter intimidation, and outright fraud (I say, is this election not being conducted in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, under the authority of CLOXXI - who is NOT even a CITIZEN?!?) there is no choice remaining but to remove the lying, swindling cheat MikeSee from the ballot. He ran a dirty smear campaign, and when that failed, he turned to his cronies in EUROPE to help him sway the results.

I ask all of you: do you want some pointy-headed European _aristocrat_ like Cloxxi making your decisions for you?!? NO! Live free or die, I say!

Aaaargh!

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Ladies and Gentlemen...

Please give warm round of applause...

for the 29" Man of the Year 2004 :

Mike Curiak !!!!

SPEECH, SPEECH, SPEECH!!
    (sorry if I make you shy Mike, tomorrow we'll treat you as usual again)

Second place....is shared by both the Surly Magic Trio and Walt Wehner!!

Recovering couch patato
    Thanks Mike, I'm sure we all share your hopes.

When I saw 101 votes counted, Walt and Surly were both on 13, MikeC changed the balance, but was too late.

Hmm, to close the poll, I'd now have to close the thread, but I don't feel like it. Brett?

Well Walt, with even Da Man '04 voting for you, and that stupid rule I came up with that reighning MEN can't be re-elected, you sure look to be a serious candidate for 2005! Keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll be a contender. Before you know it, you'll spend the day (well, night actually) on the phone with Taipei, running a big-bucks bike brand in your name. Imagine when 29" takes the formal step to replace 26", and still 13 out of a hundred pick you... :-)

PS. There's a K in Cloxxki like there's a K in Curiak and a B in Chambers :-)
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski