dmo
    mtbr member

La Sal Peak vs Fugitive

Ok go...

I have all the parts from my last build sitting in box including a new Lyrik 160. A bit about me and my riding...eastern MA, no sustained climbs or downs, just short up and down with lots of roots, rocks, jumps, small drops. Im 160lb kitted at the most.

My daily ride is more XC and lighter so I want to build something different and fun but still keep it efficient. I dont want to spend more than 2500 on a frame hence the La Sal and Fugitive. Im 5'6" so would be on a small either way.

Not sure i can find a demo for either, so thoughts ....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    These are both on my short list although for different reasons. I live in SLC so Iíve demoed the la sal quite a bit and absolutely love it. Mostly the 78 degree sta and two bottle mounts. The only gripe i have and itís really more a personal thing i could adress about my riding style and parts on the bike is the playfulness. After demoing short travel 29ers like the 429 or stumpy st, it doesnít feel like itís as fun overall... but i did manage to make it feel a little playful and man is it effing good every where else. I actually PRed a climb that i previously set on the trail 429 which on paper should be a better climber. If i had to buy a bike right now it would most likely be the la sal.

The things i like about the fugitive though I havenít ridden one: chameleon factor of being able to switch between short travel and long travel. Alloy (not a carbon hater, just dont really care). Vanity factor of having something uncommon thatís also rad. After falling in love with that 78 sta angle om the la sal though, fugitives 76 seems like it would leave me wanting. Maybe itís just a tall guy problem but for me, after demoing a ton of bikes last summer, that was the biggest eye opener for sure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What was your last build? What XC bike do you ride?

Fezzari is making a name for themselves, great warranty, great service. Iím building a Signal Peak.

The Fugitive is a brick and itís super boost. If youíre riding a lightweight XC bike now, youíll notice the weight for sure. Good reviews, burly frame.

The La Sal gets good reviews, $2400 is cheap for that kind of frame in carbon. Build, ride it, keep or send it back, can't really go wrong.

3k gets you a carbon frame from mist mfgs.
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+ (Frameset For Sale)
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak 29+
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife's)

orthonormal
    The Fugitive really doesnít feel like a big bike when the terrain is less demanding. It gets along well on XC rides like youíd expect of a good trail bike but itís still very good in the steep and rough. I have no experience with the La Sal Peak but the reviews Iíve read make it sound more like a full on enduro machine that climbs well rather than a one bike quiver killer like the SB130 or Fugitive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    The Fugitive really doesnít feel like a big bike when the terrain is less demanding. It gets along well on XC rides like youíd expect of a good trail bike but itís still very good in the steep and rough. I have no experience with the La Sal Peak but the reviews Iíve read make it sound more like a full on enduro machine that climbs well rather than a one bike quiver killer like the SB130 or Fugitive.
    This ^^

The Fugitive is a trail bike that can go big. It will also have a more comfortable fit if seated for a long time just peddling about. The La Sal is a big hit bike and its geo will put a lot of weight on your hands when peddling flatter trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    He's going to use a Lyric 160mm fork, that does not speak to a short travel bike.

Lots of fuzzy math going on, ie a steeper STA will increase weight on the hands... do we really know that and wouldn't a longer reach with a slacker STA be more likely to cause that problem.

The Fugitive and the La Sal are very different bikes, perhaps the OP picking those two bikes for a comparo is not ideal?

I'd definitely put the SB130 (130mm travel) and the Fugitive LT (135mm travel) in the same category, but realistically where do you draw the line? I'd put my Stash in this category and it's 140mm travel. Where would you put the Transition Sentinel?

At 150mm travel, what is the La Sal? Does it fit into the big hit territory of the Spartan 29 or is it just a long travel trail bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    This ^^

The Fugitive is a trail bike that can go big. It will also have a more comfortable fit if seated for a long time just peddling about. The La Sal is a big hit bike and its geo will put a lot of weight on your hands when peddling flatter trails.
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+ (Frameset For Sale)
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak 29+
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife's)

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    He's going to use a Lyric 160mm fork, that does not speak to a short travel bike.

Lots of fuzzy math going on, ie a steeper STA will increase weight on the hands... do we really know that and wouldn't a longer reach with a slacker STA be more likely to cause that problem.

The Fugitive and the La Sal are very different bikes, perhaps the OP picking those two bikes for a comparo is not ideal?

I'd definitely put the SB130 (130mm travel) and the Fugitive LT (135mm travel) in the same category, but realistically where do you draw the line? I'd put my Stash in this category and it's 140mm travel. Where would you put the Transition Sentinel?

At 150mm travel, what is the La Sal? Does it fit into the big hit territory of the Spartan 29 or is it just a long travel trail bike?
    No one said short travel. Geometry isn't fuzzy if you understand it. Since he is going to be getting a size small, same size I would ride. Looking at the geo i could tell how each bike would fit with a 160mm fork. And when its going to be more comfortable. The La Sal will be more comfortable climbing then bombing, the Fugitive will be more of an everyday bike that can handle a lot. He's asking for help and between decisions on these 2 bikes.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

It's certainly subjective. Perfectly good trail bike for some, unacceptably heavy/big/awkward for others. I generally dislike being overbiked but I used to ride with a guy who rode a SC Bullit with Boxxer fork everywhere. Nokian Gazzaloddi tires, too.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be