KTM bikes, anyone familiar? Scarp Elite 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

KTM bikes, anyone familiar? Scarp Elite 29er

Local atv dealer has a 2013 brand new, 100mm f/r reba, fox float, xt/slx and dt swiss wheels..

Msrp is almost $4k, good spec and a carbon /alloy frame. Anyone know the bikes? Sound like a good deal for $2k out the door?

Intended use would be more trail/am, not serious dh hucking.

Formerly of Kent

KTM bikes, anyone familiar? Scarp Elite 29er

Well, it's an XC or "trail" bike. It has 100mm of travel. It's kind of implied that you aren't going to ride DH/FR on it.

I'd say that's an excellent price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yea, certainly didn't see it as a dh bike. Looked at it today, dt swiss wheels, ritchey carbon bar/seatpost, store won't budge below $2500 though... It'll be my first fs bike and I'm trying to find a comp bike with carbon frame and the spec level.. Am I right that even at $2500 its a very good deal with full manufacturer warranty??

KTM Scarp Elite Carbon 29er 2013 Review

If anyone is aware of a comparable bike for the dough please chime in! No generic china carbon though please..

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yes, $2500 is still a good deal. However, if you want a trail/AM bike, I would look into bikes that have a 120-140mm fork. I think the KTM also have a pretty steep head tube angle, which will cause it to behave more like a XC bike. Whether you need more travel or a slacker HTA depends on where and how aggressive you ride though, so that's something you need to figure out.

At that price point, there are several really good options. The SB-95 at Jenson is $2700, and ends up about $2500 if you go through Active Junky. It will be about 2 lbs heavier than the KTM, but you get a 140mm travel fork with beefy 34mm stanctions. You can buy a carbon fiber RIP 9 RDO frame from Competitive Cyclist (about $1400 after rebate if you go through Active Junky), and use the remaining $1100 to build up the bike just as light as the KTM, but with longer travel, and probably a better warranty (Niner is 5 years on the frame, and they are very customer friendly). Also, if you order online, you will save money by not having to pay taxes (depending on where you live). I'm sure you can find some good end-of-season deals on other brands like Trek, Giant, and Specialized right now too if you want to shop local. I don't have a good bike shop nearby, so I gravitate toward buying bikes online and building/maintaining them myself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for the well thought out suggestions OhioPT!

I hadn't thought of the Yeti deal, what a great bike! It is just more bike than I need honestly because I only intend to do serious, burly dh stuff maybe a couple of times a year and I enjoy suffering up the hills almost as much as I enjoy bombing down them. The KTM looks like a good mixed 'do almost anything'/ride all day bike that will be more focused on trail and XC in New England and the occasional 50mile event ( I hope!). Another sticking point for me is that my HT bike is all XT level gear and I try not to be a snob but to buy a nearly $3k bike with Deore stuff would be tough to swallow..

It looks like there are similar Specialized/Trek bikes but for comparable money I'd be getting an all AL frame instead of Carbon/AL, house brand cockpit pieces, seatpost, and house brand, lesser wheels that I know I'd end up upgrading before long..

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That bike has a 452mm chainstay and 70.5* headtube angle from yesteryear. With the 100mm travel you better demo one on trail before you drop 2.5k.
    I can foresee adding a 120mm 51mm offset Pike to the bill total for your conditions. You would at least need a RCT3 damper and some tokens.
    You might as well factor in resale cost because you will be looking at it for a long time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks EB, I hadn't even started to dissect geometry.

The new damper is definitely something I'm interested in (my other reba is a 2012 dual air so I can't upgrade it ;() and I agree a Pike would make just about any bike better including my El Mar HT...

That said my large El Mar has a 72 degree HTA (though I am running a 100mm fork instead of 80mm suggested) and 455mm chainstays and I am very happy with it in the dirt, you really think it'll handle much differently than the KTM with the same front fork travel?

Eh, I may just wait for a smoking deal on a frame/fork and build a bike in the Spring from the ground up...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I would never take that 100mm, 70.5 HTA KTM down any "serious, burly dh stuff". You run an very high risk of damaging the frame, and I doubt you would have any fun in the process.

If you are concerned about weight and build spec, buy the RIP9 RDO frame and piece your own kit together. That's what I'm doing. It will end up a little under 27 lbs with a 1x10 XT drivetrain with 42 tooth One-Up cassette cog, 150mm Pike dual position fork, beefy 2.25 tubeless tires, carbon bars, etc. Cost will be under $2900. Perfect for daily XC/trail riding with it's efficient pedaling, "tight" geometry, and low weight; and an occasional downhill run or trip to the mountains with the longer travel suspension, 69 degrees HTA, and stiff chassis.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ^^^
    Plus you end up with something you can resell down the road.
    I guess a very good rider can get used to a 72* head tube angle or tame it with wide bars when you hit rocks on fast downhills.
    But think what you could ride with slack geo.

mtbr member
    The Scarp is a full suspension XC type bike, similar to a Trek Superfly or Specialized Camber
    The Lycan is KTM's Trail bike, which is more like a Fuel or a Stumpjumper.
    The Lycan LT is an "enduro" bike like a Remedy or Enduro.

The Ratchet is KTM's downhill bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    So, I went for it. Put on my carbon risers, xt cranks, wtb kom/hope wheels and vigilante/weirwolf on it. Now ive got a new dt swiss 350 wheelset, a new slx crankset a set of schwalbe rons to sell. Bike is a brave new world, ride today on regular loop was a blast.

May try to up reba to 120 rct3 eventually for kicks.

KTM bikes, anyone familiar? Scarp Elite 29er-0103151537.jpg
    Last edited by Back2MTB; 01-04-2015 at 10:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    So, I went for it. Put on my carbon risers, xt cranks, wtb kom/hope wheels and vigilante/weirwolf on it. Now ive got a new dt swiss 350 wheelset, a new slx crankset a set of schwalbe rons to sell. Bike is a brave new world, ride today on regular loop was a blast.

May try to up reba to 120 rct3 eventually for kicks.
    I hate you.

I love KTMs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Same here, I have a 450exc and 250xc smoker in the garage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    That bike has a 452mm chainstay and 70.5* headtube angle from yesteryear. With the 100mm travel you better demo one on trail before you drop 2.5k.
    I can foresee adding a 120mm 51mm offset Pike to the bill total for your conditions. You would at least need a RCT3 damper and some tokens.
    You might as well factor in resale cost because you will be looking at it for a long time.
    Tried the RCT3 reba, had to replace the damper twice and the third time SRAM made me send them the fork... Bought a Pike because I couldn't stand to wait. eb1888 you were right, the 51mm offset pike absolutely transforms this bike, I'm railing on this thing and find less technical trails 'boring' now...KTM bikes, anyone familiar? Scarp Elite 29er-ktm.2.jpg

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    My main concern is waiting for warranty claims to fulfill from Austria....since KTM decided not to take on any LBS distributors.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    They turn them around really quickly - at least over here in Europe they do.

I've had a warranty job on a HT frame, new one landed within 10 days.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_b77 View Post
    They turn them around really quickly - at least over here in Europe they do.

I've had a warranty job on a HT frame, new one landed within 10 days.
    Same here though I live on the east coast of the US. They handle warranty issues with no BS and very quickly