kona unit 29er, kona Explosif 29er, or KHS solo-one?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

kona unit 29er, kona Explosif 29er, or KHS solo-one?

i am looking to try out 29er's . looking to go inexpensive first....if hese are my choices...kona unit 29er, kona Explosif 29er, or KHS solo-one what would you go with?
    btw, i am a cldye (6'5" 230lbs).

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Either the UNIT 2-9 or the Explosif 2-9. Basically the same geometry on both frames. Both really good rides! I have a 2nd rear wheel for my Explosif for when I want to run gears.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Explosif 29

I was in a similiar situation last month, and really had my eye on a Kona build, but (sue me) I couldn't get past the only available color in the Unit 29. (Purple) I contacted Kona, as well as my LBS's, and no one was willing to switch the Explosif 29 frame into the Unit 29 complete build. Ahh well. I found a deal on Ebay, so I'll be riding a new Fisher X-caliber until that unrefutable need for steel hits me! Then I figure I can get that beautiful root beer Explosif 29 frame shipped to my front door. (and get a Reba SL for basically free as well)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie
    Either the UNIT 2-9 or the Explosif 2-9. Basically the same geometry on both frames. Both really good rides! I have a 2nd rear wheel for my Explosif for when I want to run gears.
    i have seen a couple pics of cracked explosif and unit frames...that kinda scares me as i am 6'5" and 230lbs! thoughts anyone?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yeah it looks like there's been some problems with that. I've talked with Kona and they changed the downtube spec on the new ones. I don't know which one I've got (a late 06 brown explosif) but I'm still riding it. Those that I know that broke them had them start creaking before the crack showed so no crashes resulted and Kona replaced their frames. I just love the way it rides so I guess I'll keep an ear to the downtube.

mtbr member
    Check out these two threads in the arizona forum to help narrow your decision down.

1. "I am mad as hell and aint gonna take it any more"

2 "Another one bites the dust"

Members who have read this thread: 0