Kona Process 134 29er- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 41 of 41
  1. #1
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,745

    Kona Process 134 29er

    It's here, and it looks awesome. A couple reviews were posted this morning, very positive overall. Looks like a super fun bike that can take many forms and suite a wide range of riders.



    Aluminum and carbon options priced $2,400-$6k. KONA BIKES | MTB | PROCESS

    Tire clearance for 2.5" tires out back, short chainstays (427mm), long dropper insertion, long reach, option for coil shock.

    When can I ride one?!?!?

    Reviews:
    https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/gui...t-reviews/3600

    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...29-wheels.html

    https://bikerumor.com/2019/08/07/rev...trail-machine/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Process 134 29er-process-134.jpg  

    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  2. #2
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,745
    Full product details here.

    Miranda Miller Introduces Kona’s 2019 Process 134 Lineup | KONA COG

    Process 134 development explanation with Ian Schmitt.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  3. #3
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,745
    Well, here it is. I bought a base aluminum model, stripped it to a bare frame, and threw a bunch of new parts on it, most of which I already had. Only thing I had to buy was the shock and cranks.

    The build

    Aluminum Kona Process 134 frame
    Pike 140mm fork with MRP Ramp Control cartridge and SKF seals
    DVO Topaz T3 Air shock
    Shimano XT 11spd drivetrain
    XT brakes 4 piston front, 2 piston rear 180/180
    SLX cranks with Wolftooth oval
    Stole my DJ handlebars for now, steer tube too short on the fork. Working on another solution.
    Minion Tires 29x2.5/2.3
    Oneup V2 dropper 210mm
    Wolftooth Light Action Lever
    ODI Rogue grips
    XT pedals to start, sort of have aspirations to put flats on this bike.
    SDG saddle

    Got the bike on Friday. Got it built and did a shakedown ride Saturday and everything went well. Made a couple tweaks but nothing major.

    Sunday did a pretty epic 30 mile ride on the chunkiest terrain around. Rock gardens for miles. It was awesome. It pedals really well, tracks really well in the rock gardens, very fun overall.

    I love the shock, but not too stoked on the fork. I've never really liked any Pike I've ridden. I'll spend more time dialing it in but I'm not sure I'm going to stick with it.

    Overall I love the bike. Very well balanced and natural handling. I think Kona nailed it. I wouldn't change a thing with the geometry, but this bike is good enough that it deserves better wheels. I'm running the stock wheels for now until I can build some fancy ones. They're a little portly and the rear hub is underwhelming. The DL comes with slightly better wheels.

    As awesome as the Minions are I may swap the rear tire for a Forekaster in the meantime.

    Again, the handlebar and stem setup are temporary. For the record I'm 6'3" and need more steer tube. Here's some pics. Feel free to ask questions.

    Kona Process 134 29er-img_8654.jpg

    Kona Process 134 29er-img_8659.jpg

    Kona Process 134 29er-img_8645.jpg

    Kona Process 134 29er-img_8656.jpg
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  4. #4
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,745
    Kona Process 134 29er-img_8662.jpg

    Kona Process 134 29er-img_8665.jpg

    Kona Process 134 29er-img_8668.jpg
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,197
    Like the green on this one.
    greener pastures

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: targnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,966
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Well, here it is. I bought a base aluminum model, stripped it to a bare frame, and threw a bunch of new parts on it, most of which I already had. Only thing I had to buy was the shock and cranks.

    The build

    Aluminum Kona Process 134 frame
    Pike 140mm fork with MRP Ramp Control cartridge and SKF seals
    DVO Topaz T3 Air shock
    Shimano XT 11spd drivetrain
    XT brakes 4 piston front, 2 piston rear 180/180
    SLX cranks with Wolftooth oval
    Stole my DJ handlebars for now, steer tube too short on the fork. Working on another solution.
    Minion Tires 29x2.5/2.3
    Oneup V2 dropper 210mm
    Wolftooth Light Action Lever
    ODI Rogue grips
    XT pedals to start, sort of have aspirations to put flats on this bike.
    SDG saddle

    Got the bike on Friday. Got it built and did a shakedown ride Saturday and everything went well. Made a couple tweaks but nothing major.

    Sunday did a pretty epic 30 mile ride on the chunkiest terrain around. Rock gardens for miles. It was awesome. It pedals really well, tracks really well in the rock gardens, very fun overall.

    I love the shock, but not too stoked on the fork. I've never really liked any Pike I've ridden. I'll spend more time dialing it in but I'm not sure I'm going to stick with it.

    Overall I love the bike. Very well balanced and natural handling. I think Kona nailed it. I wouldn't change a thing with the geometry, but this bike is good enough that it deserves better wheels. I'm running the stock wheels for now until I can build some fancy ones. They're a little portly and the rear hub is underwhelming. The DL comes with slightly better wheels.

    As awesome as the Minions are I may swap the rear tire for a Forekaster in the meantime.

    Again, the handlebar and stem setup are temporary. For the record I'm 6'3" and need more steer tube. Here's some pics. Feel free to ask questions.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8654.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	410.3 KB 
ID:	1274237

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8659.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	404.8 KB 
ID:	1274239

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8645.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	222.6 KB 
ID:	1274241

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8656.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	244.3 KB 
ID:	1274243
    L or XL frame?

    How much does she weigh?

    Would you go 150 up front?

    I see one of these in my not too distant future

    Sent from my Nokia X6
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

  7. #7
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,745
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    L or XL frame?

    How much does she weigh?

    Would you go 150 up front?

    I see one of these in my not too distant future
    XL frame

    I'm not the guy to ask about weight. Scales are for the big S crowd. It's a trail bike. It's just supposed to be fun.

    So far I dig it with a 140 fork. I was thinking about a 150 if I end op replacing the Pike fork, but after riding it today I never felt it needed to be slacker or have slightly more travel. Only one real ride so far so will need more saddle time to form a strong opinion, but so far so good.

    It's pretty sweet. I dig it!
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: targnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,966
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    XL frame

    I'm not the guy to ask about weight. Scales are for the big S crowd. It's a trail bike. It's just supposed to be fun.

    So far I dig it with a 140 fork. I was thinking about a 150 if I end op replacing the Pike fork, but after riding it today I never felt it needed to be slacker or have slightly more travel. Only one real ride so far so will need more saddle time to form a strong opinion, but so far so good.

    It's pretty sweet. I dig it!
    Just out of curiosity, what is the stack height?

    Sent from my Nokia X6
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    47
    I have ridden the 134 DL 29er 3 times now in the last 2 weeks while waiting for my new CR/DL 29er to show up. My LBS has the Orange DL 29ers as their new rental fleet. Sweet bike. Kona has definitely got a winner here. Can hardly wait for it to arrive,Kona Process 134 29er-process_134_dl_29.jpgKona Process 134 29er-process_134_cr_dl_29.jpg

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yonsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhender View Post
    I have ridden the 134 DL 29er 3 times now in the last 2 weeks while waiting for my new CR/DL 29er to show up. My LBS has the Orange DL 29ers as their new rental fleet. Sweet bike. Kona has definitely got a winner here. Can hardly wait for it to arrive,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	process_134_dl_29.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	1274349Click image for larger version. 

Name:	process_134_cr_dl_29.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	178.1 KB 
ID:	1274351
    So you went all in then....cool!
    Ive got to say I love the toxic green color on the regular model though.
    Really struggling not to buy one.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yonsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    112
    *OneSpeed* - Thank you for the writeup! I think I can clearly see that they improved the dropper post size choices from your pics above. Nice to hear customer reviews since all the journalistic ones kind of say the same things. And thank you for the pics as well!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: David R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,346
    This may be totally nit-picky, but it irks me that the frame looks like it's all straight lines (especially the flattened top tube and straight line from the seat stay through the rocker) and then there's this big swoopy S-curved down tube that totally goes against the look of it.

    But other than that one really minor little beef, it looks like a really sweet bike!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,588
    Asking bike designers to appeal to your aesthetics is probably a cause for not getting as good of a functional design, ie it limits performance potential .

    Id rather have an ugly bike that rides great, than a piece of art that rides like shite.

    I can honestly say that I have never considered aesthetics when choosing a bike, color sure, but frame lines, never.

    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    This may be totally nit-picky, but it irks me that the frame looks like it's all straight lines (especially the flattened top tube and straight line from the seat stay through the rocker) and then there's this big swoopy S-curved down tube that totally goes against the look of it.

    But other than that one really minor little beef, it looks like a really sweet bike!
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    17
    Nice, looks awesome! I have a frame only on order, got a few days on it during launch and am hooked. Going the DVO route also, I have a diamond from a previous build and need to pickup a rear shock when I stop in this week. Outside of that just need to build up a wheel set as well, can't wait for everything to show up.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: David R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,346
    Meh, maybe I'm shallow, but if I'm spending thousands of dollars on a luxury item I've gotta like the way it looks, or at least not find it ugly. Like I said it's a pretty minor nit-picky thing, I'd probably still buy one as I'm sure in person where you're not looking at the frame from square side on (and in an even colour not the ugly green/silver two tone) it would be a whole lot less noticeable.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    17
    I felt it looked great in person, really liked the two tone, I do think the lines are better on the carbon version but only ever so minor where the tubes connect on the alum, the transition is smoother on the carbon; the downtube also has less of an S curve to it on the carbon version.

    I don't feel like the colours I've seen online however match the colours in person. The green on the silver / green isn't so muted in real life; it's a bit metallic. However, had they offered the black and blue in a frame only I would have picked that colour over the silver and green just so I can go with a blue lower on my dvo fork. The dvo green is a lot brighter than the green on the silver & green :P

    To me at least, I think the frame lines look better than my spartan which has that split top tube with the > shape in it; but I do like the look of both.

  17. #17
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,745
    Just to elaborate on my ride impressions, the bike felt more planted and stable than my other bike, by a lot. Whether I was grinding through rock gardens at slow speed, Plowing through rock gardens at high speed, rolling big rocks, or sending it, the bike was really amazing and fun. Huck to flat the bike felt rock solid.

    I was rolling unfamiliar corners at speed with no brakes confidently. Yes the Minions are a big factor here, but I quickly discovered I could trust it and throw it into corners and know it would track well. That was really fun to be weaving through the trees, hopping roots, and taking fast turns just letting it out without even covering the brake lever.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  18. #18
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    12,085
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Just to elaborate on my ride impressions, the bike felt more planted and stable than my other bike, by a lot. Whether I was grinding through rock gardens at slow speed, Plowing through rock gardens at high speed, rolling big rocks, or sending it, the bike was really amazing and fun. Huck to flat the bike felt rock solid.

    I was rolling unfamiliar corners at speed with no brakes confidently. Yes the Minions are a big factor here, but I quickly discovered I could trust it and throw it into corners and know it would track well. That was really fun to be weaving through the trees, hopping roots, and taking fast turns just letting it out without even covering the brake lever.
    Congrats! How many more rides til the FS yuck is gone? 🤔😎
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,588
    Great review, sounds like it rides well, but seriously, how does it look?

    Is the bike aesthetically pleasing?

    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Just to elaborate on my ride impressions, the bike felt more planted and stable than my other bike, by a lot. Whether I was grinding through rock gardens at slow speed, Plowing through rock gardens at high speed, rolling big rocks, or sending it, the bike was really amazing and fun. Huck to flat the bike felt rock solid.

    I was rolling unfamiliar corners at speed with no brakes confidently. Yes the Minions are a big factor here, but I quickly discovered I could trust it and throw it into corners and know it would track well. That was really fun to be weaving through the trees, hopping roots, and taking fast turns just letting it out without even covering the brake lever.
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

  20. #20
    high pivot witchcraft
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,256
    I suspect I am going to get shit all over for saying this, but I was waiting for this bike to land for a loooooong time and had to move on. I currently have 7 Konas in my garage, including my daughter's 2015 134. Breaks my heart. Way too much crossover with my Druid though to jump on the train now.

    All that said, congrats *OneSpeed*. I have absolutely no doubt that that bike is dialled AF. I LOVE Konas. More than any other bike.*

    *except perhaps my beloved Druid
    2020 Kona Unit (in progress...)
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: David R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,346
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Great review, sounds like it rides well, but seriously, how does it look?

    Is the bike aesthetically pleasing?
    Feel better now?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: starre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Whether I was grinding through rock gardens at slow speed, Plowing through rock gardens at high speed, rolling big rocks, or sending it, the bike was really amazing and fun. Huck to flat the bike felt rock solid.
    it seems at least they got the BB height right for my liking - 13.5" - (not like most of the other dumb manufacturers at 13.2"; rant over) - but anyway I have to ask if you are getting any pedal strikes through the rocks? Also, the suspension seems like old school D-link that has a tendency to sag/squat a bit going up. With that steep seat tube angle to compensate, are you seeing any front end wander/not planted feeling going up steeper stuff?

    And yes, I really don't understand why Kona and other manufacturers have a stack lower than 25" in XL size for us taller guys and also cut the steerer tube short leaving us with monkey bar solutions.

    enjoy your new bike!!

  23. #23
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,745
    Quote Originally Posted by starre View Post
    it seems at least they got the BB height right for my liking - 13.5" - (not like most of the other dumb manufacturers at 13.2"; rant over) - but anyway I have to ask if you are getting any pedal strikes through the rocks? Also, the suspension seems like old school D-link that has a tendency to sag/squat a bit going up. With that steep seat tube angle to compensate, are you seeing any front end wander/not planted feeling going up steeper stuff?
    Yes, I definitely had pedal strikes but the terrain I was on was not normal. Everyone pedal strikes there. It's a vicious, endless string of rock gardens, doesn't matter what bike you're on so it's hard to say just yet how the BB height is.

    This was also my first real ride. I don't have the suspension dialed yet either, not getting full travel on rear shock.

    Not really, didn't notice much front end wander on steep climbs. I plan to scooch my saddle a bit more forward, but I often stand on climbs typically. I didn't notice the front end feeling light on seated climbs though. I will need to do a couple more rides on local trails I'm more familiar with to make a fair comparison to other bikes.

    enjoy your new bike!!
    indeed.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  24. #24
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,745
    I'm trying to find a decent video to try and explain the severity of the trails and rock gardens. There's not giant drops or gaps, it's super slow speed chunk. Off camber, moss covered rocks that are brutal to pedal through.

    This is a common sight, bike upside down and rider on his face.

    Kona Process 134 29er-screen-shot-2019-08-27-8.43.08-am.png

    Trail names are Rock City and Bent Rim.

    This guy sums it up pretty well. "That's brutal. It's fun, but pretty brutal."

    These are not even the rockiest trails. The first few minutes paint the picture pretty well though. Watch at 3:30. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIoe6PGRxms
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yonsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    These are not even the rockiest trails. The first few minutes paint the picture pretty well though. Watch at 3:30. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIoe6PGRxms
    Flat and rocky, kind of the opposite to how I like my trails.

  26. #26
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,745
    Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
    Flat and rocky, kind of the opposite to how I like my trails.
    Well, "flat", we still did 3,200 ft of climbing over 29 miles which isn't a lot, but it's also not flat.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,197
    Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
    Flat and rocky, kind of the opposite to how I like my trails.
    You wont like Austin then.
    greener pastures

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yonsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    You wont like Austin then.
    Well, lots of good country music coming from Austin.
    I think its good to put the bikes into context, if you like a bike or not has a lot to do with where and how you ride and it seems most reviews focus on almost bike park-ish terrain. I love my Honzo for the flowy trails, not so much when there are rocks everywhere in combination with steep descents. I think the 134 would be perfect for where I ride.

  29. #29
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,745
    So I spent a 5 day trip riding the new bike and it's just Awesome! So fun everywhere. Extremely capable, pedals great, very nimble and fun.

    I rode flow trials, jumps, drops, chunky rock gardens, granite slabs, sandy trails, wet/rooty/muddy stuff, really a bit of everything. The bike excelled everywhere.

    Super solid, super fun, just can't get enough. This thing rips.

    Kona Process 134 29er-img_8728.jpg

    Kona Process 134 29er-img_8685.jpg
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  30. #30
    SP Singletrack rocks
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,868
    New England?!

  31. #31
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,745
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    New England?!
    Yes.

    I don't understand the question? I was riding in the Adirondacks, Wilmington mostly.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  32. #32
    SP Singletrack rocks
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,868
    oh cool, Close enough.

    Just looks like my back yard in Northern Vermont. Barkeater makes some great trails though.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sturge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,160
    Congrats on the new 134...I've been diggin' my 2018 AL/DL 153 for over 2000 miles on similar terrain in New England (CT). If the 134 was available in the 'Gen2' form I would have been on the fence between it and the 153. I'm also on an XL and had to deal with the 'pre-cut' fork tube. First thing I did was install Renthal 40mm riser bars and a bash guard. Super fun bike and very versatile.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    223
    Hey Onespeed. I see you are on an XL. How tall are you and your take on fit. I am 6'5" and want to love this bike but disappointed in the low stack height decision. My Kona Wozo XL is the best fitting bike I have owned, but it is a bit bigger than the 134....Would appreciate your thoughts on fit. Tx.

  35. #35
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,745
    Quote Originally Posted by telejefe View Post
    Hey Onespeed. I see you are on an XL. How tall are you and your take on fit. I am 6'5" and want to love this bike but disappointed in the low stack height decision. My Kona Wozo XL is the best fitting bike I have owned, but it is a bit bigger than the 134....Would appreciate your thoughts on fit. Tx.
    Yeah, I'm 6'3" with 34.5-35" inseam. The stack height of this frame would not be a problem for me if the steer tube on my fork wasn't cut so short. There isn't a single spacer underneath it.

    With a normal length steer tube, 20-30mm of spacers (pretty typical for me), and 20-30mm riser bars you should be just fine, depending on how exactly you set your bikes up?

    I certainly wouldn't call it a deal breaker. Is it ideal for taller guys? Probably not, but it's not bad.

    The Reach is plenty long, exactly the same as the Wozo (and Honzo, etc.), but with a steeper STA. I was surprised after riding it the first time I wanted the saddle all the way forward on the rails. Much better than in the middle where I started with it.

    You could also throw a 150 fork on it for a little extra Stack and extra squish.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  36. #36
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,745
    Some updates: getting it dialed in.

    I installed a new CSU in the fork with a full length steerer which allowed me to use a normal stem and handlebars. Much better. Also wider, better there too.

    Got a new dropper that rattles less.

    Installed more frame protection.

    Got rid of the ugly fork decals. Visually Much Much better.

    I installed a 15mm lower headset cup/spacer to jack up the front end a bit in an effort to raise the BB. It worked great but added some floppiness in the steering. After 20 minutes I got used to it and it went away.

    The biggest improvement is getting the rear shock more dialed in. With some simple adjustments to bladder pressure I was able to make it less active off the top, more supportive in the mid stroke, and use all of my travel. Very happy with that. (previously too soft off the top and not getting all my travel, odd combo)

    Super stoked on the new bike. So much fun.

    Up next: Wheels!!



    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Process 134 29er-img_8813.jpg  

    Kona Process 134 29er-img_8809.jpg  

    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,588
    Nice bike, but I'm thinking riser bar ... 40mm worth of spacers is a lot.

    How tall are you? And that's an XL?

    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Some updates: getting it dialed in.

    I installed a new CSU in the fork with a full length steerer which allowed me to use a normal stem and handlebars. Much better. Also wider, better there too.
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

  38. #38
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Nice bike, but I'm thinking riser bar ... 40mm worth of spacers is a lot.

    How tall are you? And that's an XL?
    This bike was designed with a short headtube/low stack height, apparently intentionally. The reason given was something like "so you can set it up any way you want." Like an XC race weapon???

    Not awesome for us tall guys. Yes, it's an XL. Note that I also have a 15mm lower headset cup spacer.

    Are you suggesting 40mm of headset spacers is too much and that a riser bar is a better option? Do you mean functionally or visually?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  39. #39
    high pivot witchcraft
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,256
    Fox specifies 30mm max. Not sure about RockShox.
    2020 Kona Unit (in progress...)
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,197
    All those spacers are a bit odd looking. I'd definitely try and find a riser bar instead. I prefer having a low stack and adding all the rise with the bar instead of spacers. Gives the illusion of the bike being lower to me when seated.

    Here's a cheap one to see if you like
    https://blueskycycling.com/products/...AaAuLyEALw_wcB
    greener pastures

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,588
    I believe it's a safety issue, I was trained to limit spacers under the stem to no more than 25mm.

    Since you can use a riser bar, that would be a good way to reduce stress on the steerer as bars take up some of the stress by flexing.

    Big riders, riding big stuff, apply a lot of stress to their bars.

    I'm in the same boat, looking for a riser bar cuz I'm already at 30mm.

    Aesthetics, meh, it just looks like the bike is too short, but to each their own.

    You gotta be one tall due though.

    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    This bike was designed with a short headtube/low stack height, apparently intentionally. The reason given was something like "so you can set it up any way you want." Like an XC race weapon???

    Not awesome for us tall guys. Yes, it's an XL. Note that I also have a 15mm lower headset cup spacer.

    Are you suggesting 40mm of headset spacers is too much and that a riser bar is a better option? Do you mean functionally or visually?
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-03-2017, 12:41 PM
  2. 2014 process 153 vs 2015 process 134
    By f0nz0 in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-09-2015, 01:50 PM
  3. kona process 134 sizing
    By NHMB in forum Kona
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-19-2014, 10:21 AM
  4. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-28-2014, 01:59 PM
  5. Paid Spam: KONA Process 134
    By Larsey in forum 27.5
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-23-2013, 09:17 AM

Members who have read this thread: 277

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.