Kona Mahuna 2012 or Trek Wahoo 2013- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Kona Mahuna 2012 or Trek Wahoo 2013

I am 66 about 220.
    Been riding for about 10 years and this will be my first 29er, I got a good deal with the Kona, has a 10% rebate and an aditional 10% off due the size not selling.

The Trek Wahoo would be a little bit under retail.

In the end i would pay more for the Mahuna, but I also like it a bit more. Could anyone look at both bikes and give an opinion. Probably an owner of one of those bikes could help me.

mtbr member
    Kona...mainly because the brakes on the Trek are subpar mechanicals vs Avid hydros that will have good power even on their base models.

I also like the wheels and tires a little better on the Kona

mtbr member
    I have a 2012 Mahuna. I really like it , but there are a couple things to be aware of:

- The FD can be a pain to get dialed in. The back tire is wide enough to interfere with shifting into the granny ring unless the shifting is tweaked just right.

- I found the fork to be under sprung (I also weigh 220). You may want to look around for info on the Suntour trade-up program. I swapped the stock fork for a Recon Gold TK, but would have upgraded if I'd known about the program at the time.

Hope that helps,
    UK

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Either or

I ride a Kona Hei Hei 29er and luv it. I also have owned trek and am a fan of the brand. I would choose the Kona just becuase it looks better. They both have about the same spec. I am not a fan of cheap hydro brakes and I switched my elixir 3's for Avid BB7 mechanicals which are the shizzle. However, I have found elixir 1's to be better than the 3's (go figure). I still choose mechanical because they are less maintenance (no bleeding). I hate to say it but you may want to look at bikesdirect.com for a better spec'd bike for less money. Look for a rockshox xc32tk or recon fork and sram x7 or shimano deore components. This would a much better bike component wise. Kona and trek make great frames and ride great. Good luck.

Members who have read this thread: 0