Kona to join the 29 fray?- Mtbr.com
    HIKE!

Kona to join the 29 fray?

Word on the street is that Kona will have a singlespeed, disc specific 29er frame/fork available someday. Don't know what day that may be. I suppose it would be a "29 Inch Unit" undoubtedly tig welded steel, not overly priced.

For more info. or to give advice on angles, sizing, details, drop a line to this cat:

[email protected]

Really, bombard him. Be relentless. It worked with Ritchey for tires, eh? Sorry, Corey. Well, not really.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sparrow
    Word on the street is that Kona will have a singlespeed, disc specific 29er frame/fork available someday. Don't know what day that may be. I suppose it would be a "29 Inch Unit" undoubtedly tig welded steel, not overly priced.

For more info. or to give advice on angles, sizing, details, drop a line to this cat:

[email protected]

Really, bombard him. Be relentless. It worked with Ritchey for tires, eh? Sorry, Corey. Well, not really.
    I thought the UNIT was a fixie two-niner...
    If you're ever in Calgary, here are the bike shops I like:
    Single Track Cycle
    The Bike Shop
    Calgary Cycle

HIKE!

Unit's a 26" singlespeed

www.konaworld.com the Unit is a 26" wheeled disc or v-brake compatible single speed. 135mm spacing. Available as a complete singlespeed or frame only.

So the rumored 29 Inch Unit would most likely follow suit and be a 29" wheeled steel singlespeed frame, suppose you can always build it up fixed.....

Bored

Why SS only?

I sometimes get the impression that bike manufactures only see 29" as a SS thing. I would really like to see Kona do an affordable 29" geared bike.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Let's hope that add a real XL or even an XXL size.
    Their normal line of bikes is woefully undersized for clydetypes...some of the many people who often like 29ers...

Also, lets hope Kona spec's it better than the Unit.

The Unit came rigid with 1.9" tires....what's up with that?

Add to that, it's a pig!!! 24lbs rigid? Who are they kidding?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The sliding dropouts Kona uses are available with or without a derailleur hanger. Their Explosive and Unit frames are the same except for the hanger and gear cable stops.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sparrow
    www.konaworld.com the Unit is a 26" wheeled disc or v-brake compatible single speed. 135mm spacing. Available as a complete singlespeed or frame only.

So the rumored 29 Inch Unit would most likely follow suit and be a 29" wheeled steel singlespeed frame, suppose you can always build it up fixed.....
    Ah.
    Kthanks sparrow!
    If you're ever in Calgary, here are the bike shops I like:
    Single Track Cycle
    The Bike Shop
    Calgary Cycle

Recovering couch patato
    Indeed, even 29" supporters seem to think they can only get them sold to SS'ers. while the total world population of SS'er is, well, not much. I think a good part of them was at the Berlin worlds, 300-350. Due to 29" SS offerings this number may rise extra quickly as riders will be able to try out 2 hype in one go, but 29" gearie hardtail obviously is where the money will be made initially, same as with the first 26" offerings.

If 50% of all singlespeeders can be convince to next time buy 29" and that's a reason to make a 29" SS model, go figure with 5% of all gearies. That justified at least one model per proper mainstream brand, worldwide. If Fisher remains the only serious hardtail provider, they better get ready to make more and more of them.

The MTB industry is not exactly blessed with the brightest marketeers it seems. Who knows what would've happened if Filip Meirhaeghe had not taken the EPO, and used that Fast Trak 29x2.0" tire in Athens? Brentjens was 3rd, and on his stock carbon Giant already able to close 10s on winner Absolon in every single descend. That FastTrak tire SO looks like it perfectly suits the Athens circumstances!
    Surely, Filip didn't make Specialized make that expensive BIG tire just to show his masculinity! (sp)

Isn't Kona in the "affordable hardtail" business to make their money, at least outside the 'shore?
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

widebody
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Let's hope that add a real XL or even an XXL size.
    Their normal line of bikes is woefully undersized for clydetypes...some of the many people who often like 29ers...

Also, lets hope Kona spec's it better than the Unit.

The Unit came rigid with 1.9" tires....what's up with that?

Add to that, it's a pig!!! 24lbs rigid? Who are they kidding?
    Mr. Padre, I found the stock unit/explosif build fit well within my budget and introduced me to ssing. Not everyone can afford nice custom built bikes. I've got 3 kids under 8 years old, a wife who stays home with them, so I was lucky to get what I got.....04 explosif frame with a stock unit build, built at out friendly neighborhood PATH. I have had the guys upgrade parts slowly as I only ride the ss now. For me I would gladly like to see a price friendly 29er explosif/unit that I could jump on and check out without cutting into my kids college funds. You of all people should know that a bikes weight isn't everything. I have seen your beautiful vulture, riding along side of you(I think) at last years bikes and beer ride before you took off up the three B's. Well enjoy that sweet Lenz and Vulture 29ers. I'll enjoy my kona 26er explosif. Later Dude.

Recovering couch patato
    Padre rides a 33lb rigid bike.

Kona Units ARE too small.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Needed Less ~ Did More

As a reply....

"Indeed, even 29" supporters seem to think they can only get them sold to SS'ers. while the total world population of SS'er is, well, not much. I think a good part of them was at the Berlin worlds, 300-350. Due to 29" SS offerings this number may rise extra quickly as riders will be able to try out 2 hype in one go, but 29" gearie hardtail obviously is where the money will be made initially, same as with the first 26" offerings"

SSP: I think there are many more singlespeeders than were at the Worlds (esp. in the US) As for people only making ss-29ers GFisher has only just got round to it! As you said its a good way to try out two bandwaggons at the same time :-) I already know of an inexpensive 29er gearie not far from my desk!

"If 50% of all singlespeeders can be convince to next time buy 29" and that's a reason to make a 29" SS model, go figure with 5% of all gearies. That justified at least one model per proper mainstream brand, worldwide. If Fisher remains the only serious hardtail provider, they better get ready to make more and more of them."

Most MTBers want full-sus which is tricky (but do-able) in 29" Where a 29er shines is on a hardtail, which to a lot of people is the winter hack bike (speaking from a UK perspective) Perhaps as more parts become available at the lower OEM end of the spectrum and the building of £400 - 500 bikes becomes easier maybe we will see a bigger range of 29ers.

"The MTB industry is not exactly blessed with the brightest marketeers it seems."

Whoa! Blanket judgement alert! The same thing could be said about the singlespeed / 29er zelots :-) Marketing is tricky and the whole MTB world seems to be built on the "must have the latest / best / lightest...." so its only a matter of time until 29ers are "this seasons must have" like its a f***ing handbag! That would not be good in the longrun....

Who knows what would've happened if Filip Meirhaeghe had not taken the EPO, and used that Fast Trak 29x2.0" tire in Athens? Brentjens was 3rd, and on his stock carbon Giant already able to close 10s on winner Absolon in every single descend. That FastTrak tire SO looks like it perfectly suits the Athens circumstances!
    Surely, Filip didn't make Specialized make that expensive BIG tire just to show his masculinity! (sp)

No, probably because the Specy R+D guys wanted to try something different. Mike Burrows made that Lotus track bike as an experiment, does not mean we will all go out and buy one :-) The days of "I use part XXX because some fast XC whippet does" are fading (if not already gone) all-day rides and enduro / marathon events are on the rise.

Isn't Kona in the "affordable hardtail" business to make their money, at least outside the 'shore?

Eh? A bike company trying to make money out of our sport....burn them!!!! LOL

SSP
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

Recovering couch patato
    MikeC posted on here a discussion he overheard about the Meirhaeghe story.
    Specy is the most anti-29" company in teh world, and they did all tehy coudl to prevent it from being allowed to digrace mountainbiking under the UCI flag.
    The Fast-Trak was Filip's last good idea on a bike, and came very shortly before his worst...dope. He must have thougght that with 29" AND dope, he could not lose the Olympics...

I'll change my statement to : This industry has very few development-driven marketeers. They are too scared to even do protoyping for something that others are selling by the thousands.

Fisher may have started with gearies, but is also a very geared-minded brand. For them to come with a SS after a few years of two-niners doesn't seem as strange, at least to me. Smaller builders seem to have more 29" SS models than 29" gearies.

Don't hardtails still sell greater total turnover than full sussers? Even in the UK?
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Recovering couch patato
    PS. This has been declared a tease-free area. What's up with the inexpensive 29" gearie hardtail?
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Jan 2004
    Well, that's good news I guess. I wrote to them some time ago asking whether they had any plans for 29" wheels, and the response from Joe was a resounding NO. So I guess there must have been a number of other people doing the same as me!

I do agree if they're going to do a 29" wheeled bike, perhaps they'd be best off just to do it like the Explosif and have it with sliding drops which can be with or without derailleur hanger.

Sam

Recovering couch patato
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Cassoulet forever !
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Brentjens was 3rd, and on his stock carbon Giant already able to close 10s on winner Absolon in every single descend.
    ???
    Abasalon is way more technical than Brentjens, just watch him again riding at the worlds in the mud of Les Gets.

I don't know where you get your information from, but for me Brentjens has always been good because of it's evil relations with Theunisse, wich is for sure not an angel ! I wouldn't be surprise if he stop it's carrier the same way as meiharge...
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

Recovering couch patato
    All I know, I followed the Olympic race live on TV, and Brentjens lost a lot on the steep uphill, and came back on the DH. From the air you could see his ultra smooth riding style. He has come a long way, but on DH's he's better than most. A decade of worldcups under your belt will do that to you.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Witty McWitterson
    ANyways, back on topic, I'd love to see Kona do a 29". I've loved the way thier little bikes handle. And IIRC, they have done bigger 23" sizes in their low end bikes.

oh, and to padre----okaaayyy mr.30+lb singlespeeder
    Just a regular guy.

HIKE!

Why SS over geared?

Seems some of the decision to go SS only is that the ability to have a normal-ish seat tube angle, the ability to cram in a 29 x 2.5 tire (coming soon, Ritchey, WTB) and have good clearance makes it very difficult to fit 2-3 crings and a front derailer.

So spend the big bucks and put a Rolhoff internal geared hub in there!

A lot of "sub culture" bikes try to be all things to all people in that market. Like the Karate Monkey, disc or v, single speed, fixed, or geared, etc...

Cold. Blue. Steel.

Go-Kona-Go!!

here is another vote for a 29er- and go with the Unit/Explosif platform. good bikes for the average (multi-bike owning) joe! and certainly upgradable over time with a quality frame.

if the KM came with a sliding drop a-la the Unit i would be building one up right now. i am not going to buy a frame that complicates SS with a disc brake issue like the KM. shame. but Surly is still one hulluva company for creating the KM to begin with. maybe it is time for a slight upgrade to version 2.0.
    Last edited by OneGearGuy; 01-26-2005 at 08:58 PM.
    Spinning and Grinning...

The Duuude, man...

my email & response:

Cory Blackwood to me
    Show options 10:26am (1 minute ago)

Thanks for the note.

As a disclaimer, (yeah, you knew there'd be one somewhere) don't believe anything you hear online until you hear it from Kona directly.
    I would imagine we're going to get into it to some degree, but I don't
    know what. I'm hoping we'll have a long top tube, too... I'm 6'3"!
    Thanks for the note,
    Cory

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 6:24 AM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: 29er - if you make it, we will come

Here's hopin' ya'll will make a 29er Unit, or a 29er gearie (cheap)....

Look at Fisher's RIG which they had to push back 3 months becuase they
    couldn't fill initial demands on pre-orders once it was anounced.

Look at White Brothers, who can't make their 29er forks fast enough.

Look at Rock Shock, who stepped up with a 29er REBA.

When you make them, please be sure to put a decent amount of Eff TT in
    them, especially in the XL sizes...fisher for instance has 25+ ETT in
    thier XL, which is perfect.

If you could offer a 29er Unit, I don't think you could make them fast
    enough.

-Nathan
    FS: Everything

Witty McWitterson
    My email and response:

29" Unit? Inbox

Marty Larson
    to cb
    Show options 11:44am (18 minutes ago)
    I'm sure that you're flodded with these emails at this moment, but
    please let me add my voice to the chaotic din. Back in the day of the
    early SS, I had Kona build me up a HOT ss. This bike ranks as my
    favorite ride, ever. In fact, I had my Hunter designed after it. Bu
    tits not quite there...still like the bike though. If Kona were to
    produce such a monster, you can certianly count me in for ordering one
    up. Be sure though to add in larger sizing. This is the one area where
    29" mfr's are missing the boat. They are making the bikes in normal
    size runs. Now, I know that this kinda goes against the whole
    economies of scale thing, but Kona is famous for doing that. You guys
    came out w/cruiser loooong before anyone else(see my attached 29"
    convo of one! I sold it. Never should have.). You were early on the SS
    scene, kind of. Um, the chopper. The Suff jr(now THIS is a cool
    bike.). And on. PLEASE do this. Like I'm sure others have stated, the
    29" market is small, but it ain't going nowhere but up, much like SS
    has.
    --
    Marty
    608-000-8602

Cory Blackwood
    to me
    Show options 11:52am (10 minutes ago)
    Marty,
    It's been a busy day for me with e-mails, and I think I'm going to kill
    Sparrow, (trying to give me a hard time) but that's beside the point. I
    imagine we'll make some form of 29'er, possibly a frame only. I hope we
    make big ones, too. I'm 6'3", after all!
    Nice cruiser. It does make me have to mention that we had the first ever
    production singlespeed. Anyway, I'm sure we'll have something to make
    you happy next year!
    Thanks for the note,

Cory Blackwood
    Sparrow, you're in trouble I think. And a pic of the bike I sent with the email. Kona's first 29"(even though it wasn't produced by them...)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just a regular guy.

Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    ANyways, back on topic, I'd love to see Kona do a 29". I've loved the way thier little bikes handle. And IIRC, they have done bigger 23" sizes in their low end bikes.
    There was another Kona employee that stirred the 29" pot on the SS board a while back.

The guys up there are looking at and riding 29ers. I would guess there will be a Kona 29er in a model year or two.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

first ever?

Kona made the first ever production singlespeed??? how is that possible? I assume the first bicycle ever made was a singlespeed. Maybe he means, they made the first production SS after the invention of the mountain bike.

Witty McWitterson
    nits and picks, but yes.
    Just a regular guy.

contains quinine
    I've heard, from a non-reliable source, that there may be a 29'er Kona by fall.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Funkenstein, i guess you caught us on a technicality there. There were many bikes that were singlespeeds before Kona ever made one. I think Dirt Rag gave us the title anyway, not ourselves. I'm not one to argue it, though!

Chances are, there will be some sort of 29" bike from Kona next year. I don't know exactly what, when, or many other details, and don't believe anything you hear until you hear it directly from someone at Kona. Rumor has it this Sparrow fellow is none too reliable or trustworthy!

Cheers,
    Joe.

Where's Toto?
    Joe - perhaps Kona should make a few this year. Offer them up to say...hmmmm...members of this board...for testing. Yeah that's it - testing. We could give you feedback. Make sure you have a great product. Get the angles right. Test a few colors. Couple of different designs. Singlespeed. Geared. Then -- when it hits the masses of the unknowing, they'll have a bomb of a product....and just think, you'll be able to sell it with the endorsement of the common man.

FYI guys. Joe Kona is a company spokesman and he has many faces. Do not call HQ and ask for Joe. He is a bit phone shy. He does like e mails.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Shiggy,
    Joe here. My many faces may include bearded, goateed, sober, clean-shaven, drunk, etc, but I'm still Joe. I'm the one that usually get stuck with most of the crazy e-mails, so that's why i'm on here... this is kind of hte crazy e-mail crowd. I just don't like talking on the phone. And i float around the offices a bit.

Endure,
    Trust me, we'll be testing out the bike, but that will probably be an internal thing. Maybe i'll even get permission to take a pic and post it on here. We will make refinements before it hits the public, i'm sure of that. As for "the masses" how many 29'er frames do you think we're going to sell, really? This isn't a big-market item, and i don't see us making thousands of them.
    Personally, i'd love to see them sell out so fast that we have to quadruple our numbers for the following year of whatever we end up making, but the 29'er crowd is still pretty much a niche thing.

I also kind of doubt we'll test colors, i thought that was pretty funnny!

Where's Toto?
    Joe,

Ok --- but if you find yourself understaffed and overwhelmed, give me a call. I'm an expert color tester.

Seems like the niche is growing. I've often wondered -- if "back in the day" there had been a wider 700c tire available to the pioneers of mountain biking, they may have modified road frames and opted for bigger hoops rolling on repack - then we'd all be riding 29". Of course if that were the case, this would be the "26inch wheeled bikes" forum and we'd be bugging you to build a 26er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by endure26
    Joe,

Ok --- but if you find yourself understaffed and overwhelmed, give me a call. I'm an expert color tester.

Seems like the niche is growing. I've often wondered -- if "back in the day" there had been a wider 700c tire available to the pioneers of mountain biking, they may have modified road frames and opted for bigger hoops rolling on repack - then we'd all be riding 29". Of course if that were the case, this would be the "26inch wheeled bikes" forum and we'd be bugging you to build a 26er.

Endure, I think that's a (somewhat rhetorical) question best posed for Gary.

Color testing is an important line of work. My wife does it all the time with paint on our walls. Sadly, i don't pay her for that.

Bored

Name speculation?

Well, Kona has the Stinky, the Coiler, and rumours surround the company logo, so what would the 29" Kona be named?

I'll put forth a suggestion.

The Big Hoop
    MTBR is serious stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    Well, Kona has the Stinky, the Coiler, and rumours surround the company logo, so what would the 29" Kona be named?

I'll put forth a suggestion.

The Big Hoop
    I suggested Big Kahuna.
    If they had not already used it Humuhumunukunukuapua'a would be perfect.
    mtbtires.com

Recovering couch patato
    I spoke to Gary about that, and he seems to agree. Kicks his own butt for not trying harder to get a meaty 700c tire back in the day. Some critics say Pops is trying to get us on a second pass, first get us hooked on 26", and now 29", but truth is, he's just admitting an outdated error, adn taking the blame, doing his best to set thigns straight.
    Legend goes that Gary still hold teh reapck record. How much faster of slower would 29" have made him? ;-)

Joe, cool to have you in this thread. Think of 29" this way : now, it's already some percentage of your local market. You're selling zero. You'll just sell more bikes. NOT offering a 29"er means diminishing sales, as more and more people will go elsewhere. At one point, manufacturers that don't want to lose out, might offer their models in different wheel sizes. Explosive 26" XS, S, M, and L, Explosive 29" S, M, L, XL.

What the other guys wrote : over 2 feet of toptube, and correct angles and if possible fork rake. Stem size 125mm tops.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Just Ride!
    I'll gladly take a Kona A, with stable plat shock, in 29, thank you.

pepito
    Jun 2004
    hey joe.....the only thing i've got to add to this conversation, is that you guys are a niche company in many ways. i mean, how many big bike companies make a single speed bmx style cruiser? or a line of commuter bikes that doesn't suck ass? i'm sure you guys will step up to the plate. you have to. it would be un-kona-like not to. the only reason i can see for not caving would be a matter of pride; it seems you guys fancy yourselves (and rightfully so) as innovators who lead the way into new trends, not followers. however, as someone else mentioned, a 29'er with those sliding dropouts would be huge: monkey-like versatility, but better (easy disc setup/wheel removal), and hopefully a little less weighty. welp, that's all i've gotta say. thanks for dropping in over here, i'm always impressed with your presence on this site.

the_dude
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

Recovering couch patato
    Oh yes, a Unit-level 29"er with sliding dropouts, that'd sell huge. Huge, relatively speaking of course. If will be nice to really tuck the rear wheel under the (non-straightforward) seattube for those dusty singletrack rides, and aft for the really muddy ones. With a 2.6kg horizontal dropout, high-standover frameset, Surly sold hundreds without real promotion. And that was just for people that built it up with anything from parrs bin to chi-chi bling parts.
    Also, Kona being a big brand, there may be a lot of intrigued Kona fans that need another bike for...whatever...and something as multi-azzed as a big Unit or gearie would just make so much sense to fill that hole in the pocket with.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz
    I'll gladly take a Kona A, with stable plat shock, in 29, thank you.
    whooaaa, holy fo shizzle, i'd pre-order one of them badboys in a second...MAN!! whew! I owned an A and it rocked...if only didn't have baby wheels....
    FS: Everything

Bored

?

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I
    If they had not already used it Humuhumunukunukuapua'a would be perfect.
    Would that even Fit on the Top Tube?!
    MTBR is serious stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    Would that even Fit on the Top Tube?!
    Sure does.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joe - Kona
    Shiggy,
    Joe here. My many faces may include bearded, goateed, sober, clean-shaven, drunk, etc, but I'm still Joe...
    Yeah. I saw several of those at the Kona-Bowl in Vegas.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

How 'bout naming it..

The Big Lebowski or perhaps The Big LeBIKEski.

A Kona 29'er woud be a hot seller.

Joe-Kona,

I think a lot of guys are like me and would FIND a way to add a steel production 29'er bike with sliding drops and a derrailleur hanger to their stables. I'm interested in the whole 29'er thing but haven't yet hoping I could get a complete bike for similar money$$ as the Unit. Steel, good price, and an easy Disc brake set up for the rear wheel would do it for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I'd buy one

I would definately be interested in a 29 unit sliding dropout model. I have a nice gearie but want a SS but don't want to spend a fortune. Wouldn't buy it if it was purple though.

Recovering couch patato
    Call it Hubba Hubba or Radar or Jumbo or YoMomma

Seriously, this project deserves a name contest with the bike as the prize. Too bad I sukk at such contests, though I did come up with our dept's new name.

Can a Unit as is be fitted with a derailer? KM-style, with derailer hanger, sells more bikes, sliding dropouts make most sense for that, at least gearies get to use that "dead" weight for wheelbase adjustment.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    A "name that 29'er" contest would be really cool, but there's one hitch -- we really have fun
    naming our own bikes. I actually thought of doing a contest like that, but i realized that we'd
    probably have too much fun naming the bike. A lot of our bikes names are inside jokes, and
    many are named after people. I'm hoping i get one named after me at some point.

I like the Big Lebowski, as that's one of my favorite movies, but i'm sure we'd have to
    license it, so that's out. The inside jokes with a 29'er are just rife with possibilities, for some reason!

I'll gie the idea to those higher on the totem pole for a bike naming constest, though. We'll see what happens.
    Cheers,
    Joe.

mtbr member
    Oops.

I forgot the whole reason i was going to post.... Yes, the Unit can be a geared bike, but changes must be made. There is no cable stops on it, and the sliding drop would be to be swapped with the one that has a darailleur hanger.
    Joe.

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ryan Trebon

Joe , The Kona team racer Ryan Trebon, (who I admire), has been pictured (on his bike) several times on the web, emphasizing the incredible amount of seatpost, and the almost BMX like properties of his bike.
    That guy deserves a 29" racing hardtail.
    I.ll promise you he will do even better than last year.
    In fact, his KONA cross bikes run on big wheels don,t they?

Quote Originally Posted by mvi
    Joe , The Kona team racer Ryan Trebon, (who I admire), has been pictured (on his bike) several times on the web, emphasizing the incredible amount of seatpost, and the almost BMX like properties of his bike.
    That guy deserves a 29" racing hardtail.
    I.ll promise you he will do even better than last year.
    In fact, his KONA cross bikes run on big wheels don,t they?
    Ryan's teammate, Barry Wicks, is about the same size. They would both look good on the big, fat tires.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe - Kona
    Shiggy,
    Joe here. My many faces may include bearded, goateed, sober, clean-shaven, drunk, etc, but I'm still Joe. I'm the one that usually get stuck with most of the crazy e-mails, so that's why i'm on here... this is kind of hte crazy e-mail crowd. I just don't like talking on the phone. And i float around the offices a bit.

Endure,
    Trust me, we'll be testing out the bike, but that will probably be an internal thing. Maybe i'll even get permission to take a pic and post it on here. We will make refinements before it hits the public, i'm sure of that. As for "the masses" how many 29'er frames do you think we're going to sell, really? This isn't a big-market item, and i don't see us making thousands of them.
    Personally, i'd love to see them sell out so fast that we have to quadruple our numbers for the following year of whatever we end up making, but the 29'er crowd is still pretty much a niche thing.

I also kind of doubt we'll test colors, i thought that was pretty funnny!
    Joe,

I am a huge advocate of Kona Bikes and have owned several over the years. I currently ride an 05 A SS. Yea 29’ers are currently a “niche thing” but so was free riding and single speeds. Kona is known for being a bold company that produces quality products at a reasonable price. A full suspension, four bar trail bike in a 29’er would be the “Holy Grail” for this fast growing mountain biking segment. Build it and they will come!!!!!!!!!

Recovering couch patato
    Good to note that in this thread yes. A 29x5-6" bent-seattube 4-bar bike would SO change the world if someone built it already. It would probably end up being ridden to DH WorldCup wins if you don't prohibit it for DH race use. Your DH pro's will be intrigued. Big Tioga tire to match...
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski