King Headset Base Plate + Monkey Fork = Not Good- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

King Headset Base Plate + Monkey Fork = Not Good

Please don't flambé me for this; I am sure that there are plenty of people out there who use the King HS/KM fork combo with great results, but not I. Ever since I bought my Strong 29er, I had issues with knocking, creaking or whatever you want to call it originating from the HS area. I even posted about it here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=117915. Well, I decided I had had enough of the incessant creaking the other day, and I went to my LBS to buy another base plate, hoping that would remedy the problem. They had just sold out of base plates, but we removed the old one to see if it was lubed--it was--and then cleaned and lubed it again before reinstalling it. Before putting it back on, however, the Mech measured the inside diameter of the base plate using some calipers, and it was a few tenths of a millimeter wider than a brand new one we also measured (from a new headset). The Wrench agreed that he had seen more than a few creeky base plates after they had been installed on KM forks. All of this is just for your, the reader's, information.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I have never lubed or seen anyone lube a crown race before pressing it on the fork. Press fits are not usually lubed.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I usually put a light coating of grease on all press fits just as a corrosion protector.it isn't going to cause a HS race to come loose if it wasn't lubed though.
    what the fu#k is the internet?

mtbr member
    I've always lubed them. Like SS4life said though, that is not a reason for it coming loose.
    It's only weird because it's not normal.

PROJECT | ONE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I have never lubed or seen anyone lube a crown race before pressing it on the fork. Press fits are not usually lubed.
    I've used a light coat of grease every time I've installed a crown race for many years. I'm not sure if it's necessary, but it's certainly never caused any problems.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS4life
    I usually put a light coating of grease on all press fits just as a corrosion protector.it isn't going to cause a HS race to come loose if it wasn't lubed though.
    Exactly why I do it, because I once, on my first SS, had some creaking probems and traced it to a bunch of rust between the (not lubed) crown race and steerer.

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A few tenths of a millimeter is HUGE when it comes to a pressfit in this diameter. Something is wrong here.
    A regular caliper is not the right tool. You will need a micrometer to measure accurately. Contact KING and ask.

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by mvi
    A few tenths of a millimeter is HUGE when it comes to a pressfit in this diameter. Something is wrong here.
    A regular caliper is not the right tool. You will need a micrometer to measure accurately. Contact KING and ask.
    call king and demand a lap dance. from a girl.

if the bike is still taken apart, measure the fork crown. if the spot for the race was a little small and the race was a little loose to start, do you think the riding could have worn down the race? see if the inside of the race is round or not.

the only reason i say it is that i would be surprised if a king crown race was off, but not surprised if a KM fork crown was a little small.

then the question is, did the lube help or hurt it? if the fit was not tight, then it could move more freely, but with lube maybe it didnt wear as fast?

in any case, check the fork. otherwise you might ruin another crown race.

when all else fails... loctite!
    Only boring people get bored.

Feb 2006
    I'd be inclined to check out the fork - get your LBS to use a crown race cutting tool on it to make sure. If anything's going to be out of spec it's likely the Taiwanese fork, not the King headset...

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Man no Stans or lube on HS installs, we're going to have to reevaluate your "Supermoderator" status. You may be temporarilly demoted to "really good moderator"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    in any case, check the fork. otherwise you might ruin another crown race.

when all else fails... loctite!
    This is my point: it's the cheap fork that enlarged the base plate. Loctiet was recommended also.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtc
    Man no Stans or lube on HS installs, we're going to have to reevaluate your "Supermoderator" status. You may be temporarilly demoted to "really good moderator"
    Maybe it is why I have had just one headset issue in 23 years of mtbing.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

So it was a used crown race?

If I'm reading this correct you put a used crown race on to the fork and it was loose? Was the original fork prepped correctly? Was this fork prepped correctly?
    It is no surprise that the crown race stretched a bit, they will do that. I would just pick up a new crown race and install it.
    I know I'll get "flamed" for this, or whatever y'all call it, but this as nothing to do with it being a Taiwanese fork. Taiwanese, Japanese, Chinese, American, it doesn't matter if the fork wasn't prepped correctly. I'm sure the same could happen on any fork. I'll rant here for a second; if you're going to "flame" me about overseas manufacturing you better make sure every posession you own is made here in the U.S. I'm sure someone will try to justify why it is ok to by other products made overseas, but not bikes.

And He was Not
    I hope we can get this back on topic..
    I running in to this problem also. I've got King headsets that devoloped the same issues.I know that some of my lower races have become a little stretched. They have been on sevarl forks and now they are easily pushed down the steerers. Should I just try to locktite them down? I don't mind buying new ones If I know that it is going to fix the problem.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Fixes for the job.

Park tools does make a knurling tool for steerer's that I have used in the past. In fact I used it on my Reba, the steerer O.D. was undersize, so I knurled it and used some green locktite to make sure it stayed.
    Using new crown races are the best fix though. They will stretch after being pressed on to forks. I would guess most manufacturers would tell you to always use a new crown race.

Members who have read this thread: 0