Kill me, Thrill me.- Mtbr.com
    This place needs an enema

Kill me, Thrill me.

One of the more tame and 'doable' XC trails in Whistler is Kill me, Thrill me. There are actually mellower trails there, but none that you'd want to duplicate.

It had been almost 10 years since I'd last ridden KMTM. In that time it seems as though pretty much everything about the trail has changed--I remembered almost none of it.

Which always makes things more exciting...

Anyhoo, here's Skippy on a 6" LunchBox and me riding the Lenz proto DH rig.

<object width="700" height="525"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6512814&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=0&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=ff9933&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6512814&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=0&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=ff9933&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="700" height="525"></embed></object>

Enjoy--we sure as heck did.

MC

mtbr member
    That would be a capitol X and a capitol C! Nice. How did that Dorado climb btw?
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

Now THAT looks worth the drive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would love to ride that trail. I could ride all of it (not well), except for about the 30 seconds starting around 5:30 into the video. THAT looked way too hard. I also can't ride little bridges like that. I wonder what its like with all that travel, I've only ever done stuff with 100mm.

Powered by ice cream.
    Nice XC trail and bike.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Wow - That looks like fun but I don't think I'm ready to ride stuff like that!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    oh yeah.....next june after the bc bike race.....
    its a little too far for a weekend trip from switzerland !!!
    R.I.P 26ers....

Seeeriously easy Livin
    Great video quality, but you need to ride faster, show us what that 29r dh bike is capable of.

Stayin' Puft
    Man...I was going to say get your butt home and build my silly XC wheels but, man...just enjoy...the living vicariously thing through video works for me too... Mebbe I do wanna get gears and a full-sus?...

Formerly of Kent
    Beautiful area, but I couldn't stand riding rock drops that often. Absolutely kills the flow.

Seems like the trail builder went with the "more/bigger is better" instead of the "everything in moderation" approach.

mtbr member
    Kill me- WOW! Knarly ....but absolutely great footage! thank you!

MBN
    mtbr member
    I enjoyed that!

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by MBN
    I enjoyed that!
    +2
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    x2 on the Dorado 29'er. How did it do on the climbs?

The question was just posed on a DH site I use "If you could only have one bike to do everything..."

My 3 maybe's (because I haven't ridden them):

Mojo SL
    Lunchbox
    WFO 9

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Great video

Awesome riding, would love to ride there some day. Nice job, especially given you guys aren't riding the right bikes for the terrain of Whistler!

mtbr member
    Awesome video, Mike.

Yes, that is XC, and this is beginner All Mountain:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wWeWjllm--M&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wWeWjllm--M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

JAH

err, 27.5+
    Nice compilation there. Looks like a lot of fun, my kind of XC trail
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    We need to take that FR 29er to Northshore- no doubt. MC- kind of willing to shuttle?

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Flystagg
    Great video quality, but you need to ride faster, show us what that 29r dh bike is capable of.
    You have entitlement issues.

mtbr member
    Where was the cam mounted? I like the water sloshing sounds

mtbr member
    op- great video. it was great how you can be heard laughing and having such a good time.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

aka baycat
    Rock/Powerline section be fun on that rig.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Video makes everything smoother, that's a rough trail. I'd gamble the slow, tech riding would be really fun on bigger wheels. You'd carry speed easier. Contrary to 'the obvious', I think conservation of speed is more important at slow speeds where every hole/bump is trying to stop you.

Nice vid, and nice riding! That trail is "XC" in Weezler. I believe it's a single-black-diamond trail. Whistler and surroundings do not suffer from ratings-inflation. There's a 20-mile version of KMTM across the street from the end of KMTM you may have heard of - Comfortably Numb. Man I wish I lived there.
    Monkeyshines _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 2014 Trance, 2013 V10, 2000 Schwinn Homegrown

Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke
    Beautiful area, but I couldn't stand riding rock drops that often. Absolutely kills the flow.

Seems like the trail builder went with the "more/bigger is better" instead of the "everything in moderation" approach.
    Clearly this trail, nay, this region, is not for you. 99.9% of the continent is covered with the blight of moderate trails. Stay outta BC and you'll have no trouble keeping the flow.

I've been riding flowy trails for 20 years and I'm bored with them. Bring on bigger, badder, and mo' better.

MC

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    IMO, that trail and those trails in general are quite flowy. It all depends on where your skills are at and what you enjoy riding. Some folks ride 'perfect' 20-foot (or more) gaps linked up with speedy berms and call that flow. My air skills aren't good enough to call that flow but my tech riding is solid - I love trails like that vid and they lock me in to that special brain-space.

Flow is where ya find it.

mtbr member
    Great ride. Would that trail be ill-advised for a 4" bike? It looked "do-able" as you said, but video sometimes has a way of flattening things out.

Keep in mind, I'm no expert.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    It's rugged, and quite steep in places. A "4-inch" bike could do the trail for sure, but I'd install the fattest tires that will fit on the rims. The limitation in travel isn't going to get you as much as the steep geometry and lightweight parts.

I rode it several years ago with a 5x5 Heckler with fat rubber. It probably weighed 32 pounds then, beefy AM build. It was definitely up to it, I don't see why a current 4" bike couldn't do it. I'm sure locals ride it with old-school hardtails.

The rock slabs in the vid are harder than they look. If you're comfortable on steep'n'rocky or prepared to walk parts if they get too freaky I'd definitely go for it.

mtbr member
    Good quality video, cool trail! Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Great vid, thanks for sharing. Did you see any hardtails out riding that trail?

Fragile - must be Italian
    Nice video. I rode that trail 2 yrs ago as part of the BC Bike Race on my Titus Motolite. I'm from AZ so I enjoy and appreciate that kind of technical riding (rough rocky stuff...not necessarily jumps/gaps). It was a blast on that bike. I was riding it at "race pace"...and it is a VERY windy trail...so I damn near killed myself in a few sections where I carried too much speed into the turns and didn't know what to expect...only to come face-to-face with a tree. As a desert rat, we don't have to deal with trees very often.

That brings back some great memories. Thanks for sharing.

Thx...Doug

Kathleen in AZ
    Yea, yea... we (especially me) all know that the "big" lenz bikes excel at rolling, rocky, chunkalicious trails... I'm looking for a report on how the proto did in the park! When pointed down the supersteep and faced with endless lofting opportunities, how'd ya feel? Get any A-Line footage??? Also - did you get to Northshore or Squamish? I still have high hopes for a 29er DH - my recent addition of a 26er DH to the stable does not mean I'm giving up on big wheels

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    What's your verdict on the 29 for that type of trail? Did you miss a 26? Or did the 29 make it easier?

mtbr member
    We need to take that rig to a DH RACE and the one, who is capable of this sort of thing is Alex vel BCD.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Killer stuff, Mike! Breakast in Whistler Village, followed by KMTM looped into Comfortably Numb, and back in time for beer and burgers in the Village is still one of the best mtb days of my life!
    Whining is not a strategy.

Fossil
    This vid just makes me wanna ride... right now.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    I'm looking for a report on how the proto did in the park! When pointed down the supersteep and faced with endless lofting opportunities, how'd ya feel? Get any A-Line footage???
    Only about 8 hours of helmet cam footage to plow through. Since that's gonna take a week+, I'll sum up simply:

Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Also - did you get to Northshore or Squamish?
    Yes.

'night.

MC

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Only about 8 hours of helmet cam footage to plow through. Since that's gonna take a week+, I'll sum up simply:
    ok... I will be patient. I'm sure you have lots of wheelbuilding to get caught up on now that you're back home

Yes.

'night.

MC
    I agree that Fromme on the 'Box was a giggle and a half. It was fun to see your video after just being there in August with local CraigH showing us the goods. I felt too high on my Lunchbox even with the seat slammed all the way down on a non-adjustable seat post, so I'm guessing your new version with the lower bb (and your skills) made it a great day for you. good stuff!
    Last edited by DurtGurl; 09-15-2009 at 07:12 AM.

Formerly of Kent
    Clearly this trail, nay, this region, is not for you. 99.9% of the continent is covered with the blight of moderate trails. Stay outta BC and you'll have no trouble keeping the flow.

I've been riding flowy trails for 20 years and I'm bored with them. Bring on bigger, badder, and mo' better.

MC
    The vast majority of that trail is/appears to be doable on an XC bike, from what I can see in the video. Just the rock drops, etc. that would be a little less than fun.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

MC
    In Kanukistan, what BC calls XC the rest of Canada calls freeride.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    And before I forget, I miss BC and hate Ontaristan.

Thanks Mike for proving what I have saying for a while.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by miklorsmith
    IMO, that trail and those trails in general are quite flowy. It all depends on where your skills are at and what you enjoy riding. Some folks ride 'perfect' 20-foot (or more) gaps linked up with speedy berms and call that flow. My air skills aren't good enough to call that flow but my tech riding is solid - I love trails like that vid and they lock me in to that special brain-space.

Flow is where ya find it.
    Agreed. Years ago had an interesting conversation with Dangerous Dan. He told me that every trail has flow. Basically one has to discover it for themselves and they will see it and discover it in their own way.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    hahahahaha
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Good stuff mike. My that looks like fun flowy tech. The giggling like a coupla school girls says it all. Next time sneak me into your suitcase would you please.

It was good riding with you today.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL
    hahahahaha
    what lee said........it isn't that crazy, and it's probably one of the flatter trails around! it does have a couple of steeper options though......and yes, people ride it on hardtails and xc bikes, lots of them

mtbr member
    I had fun riding it on my Stumpjumper. It was recommended to us by a Frenchman playing frisbee golf that we met the day before when we got lost coming down Comfortably Numb.

In his friendly French accent he said, "You must do Kill Me Thrill Me. It is like Comfortably Numb but not as *****eeeeee."

Good assesment. I think he was right!

The vast majority of that trail is/appears to be doable on an XC bike, from what I can see in the video. Just the rock drops, etc. that would be a little less than fun.
    The whole trail is doable on an xc bike, hardtail or otherwise. A skilled rider could clean it sight unseen, regardless of bike.

The fact that you think the rocky stuff removes flow from the trail says a lot more about you than the trail or the gal that laid it out. Something to think about...

Cheers,

MC

Members who have read this thread: 0